Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jack Hughes vs Pick 4

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Jack Hughes vs Pick 4

Jack Hughes is currently on the block in our league (sig), and his owner is looking for a top 5 pick in this year's rookie draft. I own pick 4, and was not sure whether to pursue or not. Considering Lafreniere and Byfield go 1 & 2 in our draft, do you prefer Hughes, or one of Holtz, Stutzle, Rossi or Raymond in a dynasty league?
    16 Team Dynasty, Roto Auction Cap League, Farm and Prospect systems.
    G, A, PPG, PPA, SHP, SOG, DPts, BS, Hits, FOW, Pims, Majors, Shifts, Shootout goals,
    Saves, Wins, OT wins, Save%, GAA, S/O, Shootout Saves,

C: Matthews, Couture, Nelson, Hayes
    W: Draisaitl, Duclair, Hall, Fiala, Marchessault, Voracek, Jeannot, Clutterbuck
    D: Makar, Hronek, Nurse, Cernak, Klingberg, Roy
    G: Demko, Shesterkin, Vanacek
    Prospects: Stutzle, Byfield, Lundell, Brink, Dufour, Madden, Milano, Addison, Alexeyev, Bahl, Farrance, Lundkvist, L. Thompson, Fedotov

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Jack Hughes vs Pick 4

If you can get Hughes for the 4th overall, I'd be all over that.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Star

Hughes is better than pick 4 unless by some miracle, Lafreniere or Byfield were to drop.

Dobber Sports Jedi

I would as well.

Not only for that fact as i see Hughes with a higher ceiling, but also because Hughes is entering NHL 2nd year.
    and #4 is unlikely to play in 2020/21.

That's a 2-3 year headstart in development/production for Hughes.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Stud

Dissenting vote here. In a dynasty league, I’d want Rossi OR Raymond ahead of Hughes by a lot. C’mon Jack, prove me wrong! I think either of the 4th pick options are ONE year behind, not 2-3, and both will outshine Hughes.
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

am i missing something? is a slow rookie season from a highly touted number 1 pick , change his pedigree? at this time next year if Lafrainne doesnt have a stellar rookie season be asking the same question?

Hughes and it isnt even close at this point, an argument could be made between Lafrainne and Hughes but anyone else, i am going Hughes, he is in a great situation, will be C1 and should only get better with a year under his belt. I know people love shiny new toys but remember Jack was a shiny new toy last year

Just my opinion of course

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Brad View Post
    Dissenting vote here. In a dynasty league, I’d want Rossi OR Raymond ahead of Hughes by a lot. C’mon Jack, prove me wrong! I think either of the 4th pick options are ONE year behind, not 2-3, and both will outshine Hughes.
    Counter argument - C'mon Raymond or Rossi prove me wrong...

They're likely at least 2yrs behind as neither is likely to play in the NHL in 20/21.

By the end of 20/21 season:

Hughes 2 NHL seasons.
    Raymond/Rossi - 0 NHL seasons

That's 2 years
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by mjm44 View Post
    am i missing something? is a slow rookie season from a highly touted number 1 pick , change his pedigree? at this time next year if Lafrainne doesnt have a stellar rookie season be asking the same question?
    It doesn't change his pedigree, but it does change what he's shown he can do. If Lafreniere doesn't have a good rookie season. you can bet others will be asking the same question, see Kappo Kakko.

What this season did is showed that the "generational" talk about Hughes was wrong. I mean, we knew he was unlikely to be McDavid, and therefore not generational, but still.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Sage

Hughes easily over pick 4 (Raymond).
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Yah hughes for me too. How quickly that shine wears off for some people. Same story every year. Hughes still has massive potential and now has a year of seeing what it's really like under his belt. I expect him to shut the dissenters up next year and never look back. Youd be buying low with the 4th overall.

Dr. Brad will probably be selling Rossi or Raymond next year for 7th overall and calling it a win ...and the cycle continues

Dobber Sports Stud

Hughes AINEC

Dobber Sports Genius

My gut has said since the beginning that Jack Hughes is not going to live up to the hype. I'm going to die on this hill. LOL.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by mjm44 View Post

Hughes and it isnt even close at this point, an argument could be made between Lafrainne and Hughes but anyone else, i am going Hughes, he is in a great situation, will be C1 and should only get better with a year under his belt. I know people love shiny new toys but remember Jack was a shiny new toy last year

Just my opinion of course
    Remember when Quinn Hughes had zero points in the NHL after his draft year and everyone was calling him "not even close at this point?" What a bust he has been!

This of course is tongue in cheek, to a certain extent. We all know that Jack, like Quinn, has a smaller body and was drafted for skill and hockey smarts. Hughes going #1 is a sign that NHL GMs, after drafting for NHL-ready bodies and points, finally drafted a guy at 1.1 whose NHL body was not yet ripe. J. Hughes gets a little pass because body-wise, he's not ready. Keep in mind, the likely #4 Lucas Raymond and Hughes have the same height, with Raymond being 10 pounds heavier. It's not like Raymond is 6'2, 200 and ready to bang. Virus aside, Raymond was never going to be in the NHL this year. So giving Raymond a pass while denigrating Hughes for draft year +1 production doesn't match.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Look at the shitty situation Hughes found himself in. As NJ improves the talent around him, Hughes will soar. Would you have traded Seguin for the 4th overall pick after his snails pace start to his career? I trust the answer is no. And if so, check back and see who went 4th overall 2 years after the Taylor/Tyler draft. (Hell, look at picks 1 through 4)

I’m taking Hughes here all day long.

Dobber Sports Stud

I get it that I’m being disagreed with here, and maybe being shamed for my lack of confidence in Jack Hughes. But the last comment?? Well, first - that 4th pick being discussed is ONE year after Hughes, not two. And in the 2011 draft, sure it’s Adam Larsson at #4, but 6-7-8 are Zibanejad, Scheifele, and Couturier. I’m not saying these guys outshine Seguin - please - I’m saying Hughes gives me concerns that his “generational” tag (already hilarious) may come to look like the offensive equivalent to Aaron Ekblad. Good player, sure. But that may be all. The history of #1 overall picks is not all McDavid/Matthews (one of whom deserves that “generational” adjective).

Fun to read your comments, gives me entertainment while I have my roof and upstairs bathroom repaired (non-hockey lightning strike).
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson