Thread: Inaugural Draft - Which Goalie

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Inaugural Draft - Which Goalie

Hi all,
    20 Team Dynasty, currently on the 7th round and I have 0 goalies (rip) and they are running out fast. I just couldn't bring myself to draft one of the weaker goalies when BPA was there. I have my pick now then not for another 30 picks or so.

A, G, PPP, SHP, FOW, HITS, BLK, SOG ///// W, L, SV, SHO, GA, A
    2 Active Goalie spots, 3 Starts per week

Here is the list of goalies available, in order of how FHG is ranking them for my league:
    Koskinen, Talbot, Greiss, Varlamov, Khudobin, Dubnyk, Mrazek, Bishop, Petersen, Rinne, Raanta, Crawford, Georgiev, Francouz, Lundqvist, Fleury, Halak, Quick, DeSmith, Reimer, Jones, Rittich, Nilsson, Smith

Here is the other notable players I would consider but I'm pretty sure I need to take a goalie here
    Kopitar, Toews, Giroux, Nelson, Benn, Petry, Giordano, Hoffman, Benn, Dumba, Doughty

My team so far:
    Dougie Hamilton
    Ryan O'Reilly/John Tavares
    Evander Kane
    David Pastrnak/Mark Stone

With notable minors that could play next season in my team: Noah Dobson, Adam Fox, Oliver Kylington, Kailer Yamamoto & Joel Farabee (not saying they will play in my team, but they are options)

Who should I take here, as you can see my team is set where I could definitely go for the win now, but it's also young enough that I can wait a 1-2 even 3 years, so I'm torn between
    Koskinen
    (best goalie according to FHG but they were looking for a new goalie so they clearly don't trust too much)
    Varlamov
    (who I would probably consider the best goalie, but Sorokin...)
    Petersen
    (best long-term while still playing a healthy number of games this year, but losses will affect me)
    Khudobin
    (will be the starter at first and is probably the best for FP/G)
    Talbot
    (likely playing the most)

Will rep where I can, thank you!
    Team One (Mercenaries Of Mandalore) 24T Dynasty, 4LW/RW/C, 6D, 2G, 4B - G, A1, A2, PPG, PPA, SHP, SOG, FOW, FOL, TK, GV, HIT, BLK, FT, ||| W, L, GA, SV, SHO, A

Team Two (Hamilton Tigers) 16T Dynasty - 3LW/RW/C, 6D, 2G, 6B - G, A, PPP, SHP, SOG, BLK, HIT, FOW| W, L, GA, SV, SHO, A

Click here for my teams (not up to date)

Links are too a google document.

The Great One

Default Re: Inaugural Draft - Which Goalie

Man - I’m going Talbot here I think. You are best served with as clear a starter as you can get.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Titan

If you want a goalie it's either Petersen or Francouz. You can draft them later though so just keep loading up on skaters for a few rounds.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Great One

With three starts a week you think Francouz is enough?
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Star

If there was ever a year to lean more heavily on backups, this is the year to do it. I think we have to expect a lot of back to backs and a compressed schedule.

I like Francouz, then Talbot, then, Petersen. You should be able to make your start quota by following the projected starters each day and adjusting your lineup as needed. A little more vigilance and you'll be able to meet your needs with 1B and backup goalies.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I really feel like I need to pick one up now, they're flying off the shelves and with basically everyone to go between my next pick and some teams still without goalies I imagine they're going to be even more depleted. I'm leaning Petersen at this stage
    Team One (Mercenaries Of Mandalore) 24T Dynasty, 4LW/RW/C, 6D, 2G, 4B - G, A1, A2, PPG, PPA, SHP, SOG, FOW, FOL, TK, GV, HIT, BLK, FT, ||| W, L, GA, SV, SHO, A

Team Two (Hamilton Tigers) 16T Dynasty - 3LW/RW/C, 6D, 2G, 6B - G, A, PPP, SHP, SOG, BLK, HIT, FOW| W, L, GA, SV, SHO, A

Dobber Sports Genius

Your next 4 picks should be goalies. I shit you not.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    Your next 4 picks should be goalies. I shit you not.

haha, what order?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I'd take Petersen here.

Of you list, I like these the best:

Older useful guys:Koskinen, Talbot, Greiss, Varlamov, Khudobin, Bishop, Francouz, Halak, Raanta, DeSmith
    Prime age: Mrazek,
    Younger guys: Petersen, Georgiev

If Petersen goes, take Georgiev.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Genius

Tandems. You want to get two tandems.

Think you can get Khudobin and Bishop (and Oettinger)?
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Superstar

I would grab Varlamov so you can compete the next few years and I would look at grabbing Peterson or Francouz after this.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Personally, I'd go with Varly here. Bishop is solid but super injury prone and with Kudobhin's emergence last year, they could lean on him a lot more so Bishop doesn't get fatigued and injures himself yet again.
    Isles a good team in the East, plus playing under Trotz, he should have good periphs as well. There is the factor of Sorokin (full disclosure I own him) he is very likely to take over the crease, but it won't be this year, Varly should still get the lion's share this year. Long-term Varly isn't an option, but to be fair, most of the goalies still available aren't viable long-term options.

Is Askarov still available? If he is, I would highly consider grabbing him (after your current pick...maybe 2) Yes he just got drafted and will sit on him for a couple of years (not sure what your minor system is) but he's almost ready to play in NHL, Rinne/Saros will plug along for another 2 years (I think) then will be Saros/Askarov with Asky likely taking over fairly quick.

As for right now and immediate future, I'll list my top 5 goalies that help you the most this year and then top 5 that have the best upside in the next 2-3 years.

Immediate: Varly, Talbot, Koskinen, Khudobin/Bishop
    Future: Peterson (Quick is on the way out, Kings will be a good team in a few years time, no goalie on his heels)
    Francouz (In a 1B at the moment, will be him or Grubuar in the future in Col,if it's him, jackpot, if not, he should get a chance to show his stuff wherever he ends up, also could be expansion bait for Seattle)
    Georgiev (Same as above, 1B to Shesty's 1A, big difference is Shesty is the guy going forward, will have to be moved for starter value, also since Shesty isn't eligible for expansion, Rags can protect him)
    Raanta (Good goalie, stuck behind a better goalie, him or Kuemp need to be moved)
    DeSmith (Jarry is the guy right now, Pens have shown they have no problem moving a goalie out if it saves them money and the next guy looks ready, big problem if that happens is Pens look like they may be a garbage team in 2-3 years time)
    12 Team Dynasty League. $4 increase per player a year FP/ reduced salary for 3 years, Keep 8-12 (League Champion 14/15, 16/17, 19/20, 22/23)

Categories - D-G, G, A, PPP, SHP, SoG, Hits/Blocks, FoW, FoW%, Give/Take, Wins, GAA, Save%, Saves.

C: Tavares $33, Eichel $16 (1st yr FP), Trocheck $18, Jenner $9 Beniers $2 (1st yr RC)

W: Ovechkin $18, Hintz $17, Pavelski $11, Zacha $10, Kaprizov $7, Johnston $2 (1st yr RC), Reichel $2 (1st yr RC), Bertuzzi $1, Tippet $1

D: Burns $20, Jones $17, Werenski $16 (2nd yr FP), Matheson $5, Spurgeon $1, OEL $1

G: Shesterkin $7, Sorokin $3 (2nd yr RC), Raanta $1

MLP Bench: Rossi, Nazar, Kovalenko, Nikishin, Morrow, Ivanov