Thread: Petersen Future and Upside

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Petersen Future and Upside

I'm in the last round of my draft (league in signature) and considering Petersen for my #2 goalie (yikes!).

Is Petersen's upside that of an above average, 55-game starter? I'm looking at the 2-3 year range.

My other options: Talbot, Mrazek, Murray, or Koskinen?

Thanks in advance - will rep where I can.
    H2H Dynasty, 16 Team Salary: G, A, PPP, SOG, Hits, BKS, SHTOI, W, Sv%, Saves, GA%, (4C, 4RW, 4LW, 6D, 1G)

C: Crosby, Malkin, Larkin, Hartman, McBain, Joshua
    RW: Rantanen, Konecny, Strome, Batherson, Zetterland
    LW: Buchnevich, Ehlers, Marchessault, Bertuzzi, Acciari
    D: McNabb, Ferraro, Hakanpaa, Lyabushkin, Samuelsson, Bernard-Docker, Emberson
    G: Merzlikens, Daccord, Samsonov
    Prospects: Kurich, Lucius, Pelletier, Cristall, Yurov, Beckman, Brisson, Dean, Phillips, Poitras

The Great One

Default Re: Petersen Future and Upside

Definitely take Koskinen. Or maybe Murray. Honestly, Mrazek has the best team in front of him. And you get Nedeljkovic.
    Also, I'm in your league so...
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Jedi

Honestly, I think your team should be a competing team. I'd look at Talbot in the short term. I really think he's going to be one of the best value drafts of the year.

Petersen is a longer term play. Quick is still there & LA is still bad.

Minn was only outside of the playoffs by like 2 or 3 points at the time the season shut down. Very solid D sitting in front of him.

Talbot would be my pick
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

The Magnificent One

i actually just drafted a deep league and my goalies are talbot and petersen.

i drafter petersen much earlier but talbot will give you the better stats this year. sadly they will still play quick due to contract.

long term petersen is the better play though
    18 team H2H Keeper League
    G/A/PPP/SHP/GWG/SOG/FOW/Hits&blks/W/GAA/SV/SV%
    play 4c/8w/6d/1G (2min start)/6 bench/
    C: Hughes, Zacha, Howden, compher, Tierney, Frederic
    W: Gaudreau, Schwartz, M.Tkachuk, Fabbri, Bratt, Yamamoto, Wahlstrom, Okposo, Heinen, M.Folingo, Hinostroza, Mcginn
    D: Hughes, Ceci, Pelech, oleksiak, Holden, Poolman
    G: Markstrom, Oettinger,
    P:Rossi,Bowers,Heponiemi,Kupari,Wise,Dorofeyev,Fir stov,Clarke,Fortin,holloway,Nygard,Aberg,Rasmussen ,Elynuik,M.Jones,Chlapik,Platzer,Bracco,Kuokkanen, Lind,Liljegren,J.Roy,Montembeault,Raaymakers,Woll, prosvetov,Larmi

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I'm not sure there are many goalies with 55 game starting upside right now who aren't in the NHL doing it already. We've been leaving the workhorse model for a while.

I like Petersen, but prefer Talbot, and Mrazek as others have said. Murray will get starts early, but will likely be bad ratios. Petersen is a lesser ole guy, also on a likely bad team.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Ace

Thanks everyone - appreciate it.

Mrazek and Talbot was taken right before me. I chose Petersen over Koskinen; not sure if it makes sense, but Koskinen's cost and uncertain-future were reasons.

Rep'd where I could!
    H2H Dynasty, 16 Team Salary: G, A, PPP, SOG, Hits, BKS, SHTOI, W, Sv%, Saves, GA%, (4C, 4RW, 4LW, 6D, 1G)

C: Crosby, Malkin, Larkin, Hartman, McBain, Joshua
    RW: Rantanen, Konecny, Strome, Batherson, Zetterland
    LW: Buchnevich, Ehlers, Marchessault, Bertuzzi, Acciari
    D: McNabb, Ferraro, Hakanpaa, Lyabushkin, Samuelsson, Bernard-Docker, Emberson
    G: Merzlikens, Daccord, Samsonov
    Prospects: Kurich, Lucius, Pelletier, Cristall, Yurov, Beckman, Brisson, Dean, Phillips, Poitras

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by jdreed3184 View Post
    Thanks everyone - appreciate it.

Mrazek and Talbot was taken right before me. I chose Petersen over Koskinen; not sure if it makes sense, but Koskinen's cost and uncertain-future were reasons.

Rep'd where I could!
    Petersen's starts will depend purely on his performance.
    It's still Quicks net, but there's no secret the transition to Petersen is underway.
    I would suspect a 60-40 Quick split to start the season and it ends 60-40 petersen
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Ace

I can jive with the above suggestion of a 60-40 split in favour of Quick. Keep in mind, too, that we are most likely looking at a condensed schedule this year, meaning more back-to-backs. Petersen will get his games in, and with LA still being a rebuilding team, there is no reason why they shouldn't play him a bunch and see what they have in him. I'm pretty high on him; I love what LA is building.

The Great One

I wouldn’t say more back-up jobs but I would more starts for back-ups. More platooning. I think what the Kings would really like to do is trade Quick. If he plays well I would expect him to get the lions share of the starts in order to showcase him for a trade - which would ultimately benefit Peterson obviously.
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett

IR:

Dobber Sports Ace

Agree with much of the last few posts but I think he will play more. They need to see what they have (he's signed this year and next). So I think they need to see what they have early so they can resign him and lock him up or trade him if they don't feel he is the guy (even though it's
    Pretty apparent they feel he is)

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Sigh... I was left with Murray in this same league. Or any of the Ottawa younger tenders. Felt him the better own over Either San Jose goalie or the Detroit goalie pool. Given I also own the Toronto goalie pool, Murray, I thought perhaps had the best/any trade value. Then again, given the ratios in this league, if Murray is busy, even without the wins, he could be serviceable. (Is what im telling myself)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Sigh... I was left with Murray in this same league. Or any of the Ottawa younger tenders. Felt him the better own over Either San Jose goalie or the Detroit goalie pool. Given I also own the Toronto goalie pool, Murray, I thought perhaps had the best/any trade value. Then again, given the ratios in this league, if Murray is busy, even without the wins, he could be serviceable. (Is what im telling myself)
    I'd prefer Greiss to Murray as far as that goes. Murray has shown he can crap the bad enough to lose a job, and Ottawa has options.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

The Great One

For further discussion here - in the league we drafted goalies by team. So Reed got the LA Kings goalies. It’s up to him whether or not he wants to keep Quick and his cap hit. But Peterson is the most attractive piece there. Havana drafted the Ottawa Sens goalies. So Murray is his starter for now but he also got everyone else at that position in the organization - and any prospects can be stowed in the minors. But we only get 10 prospect spots. I chose the Montreal goalies - I did not select a G group until quite late - but I’ll start Price, keep Allen on the bench, and stash Primeau in the minors. Everyone else (Lindgren, McNiven etc) was dropped. These guys both have similar options with their goalie groups.
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max

IR: