Thread: Rate my off-season

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Rate my off-season

Ill try to let the pdf talk for now but basically, here's the moves I made during this weird off-season. Before covid went in effect, I was in the bottom 4 and to make it out I had to do an ottawa 2017 sens repeat. Knowing full well I wasnt competing for the playoffs I started moving boys around in order to shake things up and try to align my rebuild as best as I could knowing I was picking top 4 and another one in top 10 (ended up being 8th or 7th). After finally being able to load off some of the worst contracts you've ever seen due to our league finally expanding to 14 teams, this is what I have now .

Finished 2019 with 18 mil under the cap. So far, in heading into the free agency frenzy (ours) with 28M freed for me to spend freely. Since we are heading into our 4th year this season, alot of clubs were forced to make tough choices either dropping players or taking on what ever the nhl signed them to. Needless to say the market is currently stacked with names like vasilevski, deangelo, price, barrie, hoffman etc... I'll have some thinking to do heading into it but my watch list is about 150names long and I have my eyes set on up and coming prospects that have yet been dugged up. Ive been in rebuild mode ever since we started 3 yrs ago due to issues irl and my team got auto drafted. Pretty much all past 4yrs I've had at least a draft pick in the top 4 and slowly clawed my way to big names like Matthews, Connor, been, jones, and laine. If all goes to plan, in 2 yrs maybe even less, ill have Matthews, Byfield, Rossi and Newhook in center // Mantha, Gusegg, Kravtsov, Reinhart, Jenik + A few free agents on the wing and to finish it all up, Sergachev, Seider, Bean, Jones, Deangelo/Barrie, and im about to land Evan Bouchard all backing up my blue line. Ill pick up goalies as I go since I have like 20 of em still hiding in our free agent market .

So much for letting the pdf do the talking lol.
    Let me know what you all think.

Contracts are based off cap hits, 60 or 70%is the buyout penalty. Now I need to move been or keep him this year and hope for a bounce back, buyout Okposo when the cap decides to raise (league is based off the actual nhl cap and its inflation), and I should be cruising into the next 3 playoffs to come.

Sorry for the typos, ill edit them out as time goes on.

2019 pdf
    * rows in red are players who are gone. Yellow means still in free agency, may or may not pick them back up

2020 pdf
    * rows in green are players added via trades. Yellow are drafted players drafted this summer.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Rate my off-season

First off, good job sticking with your build.

I agree with Okpsoo being your #1 cut. Avoiding horrid contracts is key in cap leagues, generally.

Looks like you're making progress, but you've got an issue in net. Rask is good, for as long as he plays, but Martin Jones is not, and he's somewhat expensive and a long term contract. The Sharks didn't bring a guy who is notably better, so he's likely to hold a good amount of starts, but you need more options. I note that you did have more options previously, and you need to grab somebody cheap and viable. A guy like Colin Delia would be really useful if he's out there.

Benn is a guy who you might be able to sell if he starts strong after his playoff run, but if he starts strong, he may be worth keeping.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    First off, good job sticking with your build.

I agree with Okpsoo being your #1 cut. Avoiding horrid contracts is key in cap leagues, generally.

Looks like you're making progress, but you've got an issue in net. Rask is good, for as long as he plays, but Martin Jones is not, and he's somewhat expensive and a long term contract. The Sharks didn't bring a guy who is notably better, so he's likely to hold a good amount of starts, but you need more options. I note that you did have more options previously, and you need to grab somebody cheap and viable. A guy like Colin Delia would be really useful if he's out there.

Benn is a guy who you might be able to sell if he starts strong after his playoff run, but if he starts strong, he may be worth keeping.
    Thanks alot for your feedback its greatly appreciated. I see we share alot of common grounds as to where I'm still lacking and what's hurting me as of right now. Fear not, I already have a plan of attack. Those bad contracts were acquired in deals in order to get key pieces. Since I made peace with being a bottom team for a while, I took the opportunity to take on shit contracts like okposo knowing by the time im ready, they'd be bought out of done. Okposo was in a deal that netted me Marco Rossi and Jo Veleno which I then flipped for 2 more picks (egor Sokolov and Dylan Holloway.) Rask was taken in with jones for getting rid of Johansen and lindholm and in return I got jarry as well.the guy ended up dropping him for some odd reason afterwards. That being said , here's a snapshot of what's in our market in terms of goalie rentals which I've been basically doing since our inaugural season. I'm aiming to at least get korpisalo, jarry and maybe even vasilevski but im not gonna crap on my cap space for him.. ivr been doing fine just rolling 1-4M goalies and I intend to keep doing it. As for benn, he was my last acquisition after looking closer at rantanen which I felt I was overpaying for the amount he actually produces. I sent a blind trade to the Kyle Connor owner since he's been our playoff champ 2 yrs running and is now in cap hell. Figured he would overlook the value Connor is about to bring to the table if I took in his ball and chain which he accepted no negotiation needed. Pretty psyched since im a big stars fan and even if benn does 40pts most of them will be PPP and that's like worst case scenario . Best case, Dallas tears the league apart and he does 100pts lol. Wishful thinking dont you think lol. In thr end moving a name like Jamie benn is gonna be alot easier down the road and I got a prime leftwinger which I've noticed the nhl aren't handing those out freely nowadays. Having my center and left wings covered, the rest I fill out with dual eligible wingers like gusev and mantha. My d core is and should be off the charts come 3rd elc on all of them which puts matthews, Connor, mantha all ij their prime years. $_$... all theirs left is goalies and if I was able to dig up Carter hart, georgiev, korpisalo and rittich, I feel confident enough finding another gem out there. Sucks cause I got Jones before SJ royally ****dd me and got dubnyk, had I known before I would of never taken him on. Tukka got rid of Jonathan quick and even tho his future looks grim he's still top 5 top 10 goalie nhl wise so meh what ever, ill ride him out till Boston buys him out which lets me drop him free of charge if they do.

Thanks again for giving me your input, glad to see im heading in the right direction. After making that Connor trade, I finally took a second and looked at the whole picture and was like "man.... how does bergevin **** up that badly, it's not rocket science lol"

All in all im super impressed of what I accomplished and this being my 3rd team rebuilding, this one is my pride and joy. My 2nd one got me the playoff win and people got very sore losery afterwards and the league ended up disbanding lol... this one im currently running it with 2 other guys and seems like their is no end in sight. All boys from the keeping karlsson podcast and all of them except for 2 are still active so goes to show you.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Side note: the reason why I started finally pulling ahead on the rebuild is because during the holidays I made a league wide assessment of where the teams were heading and realised how ****ed alot of teams would end up shitting bricks this season cap wise even factoring in a 5 to 10m cap raise. Covid slashed that to 0 which officially opened the floodgates to my 40M free cap space and having made my moves around Feb to dump my rentals on playoffs contenders for key prospects and rebuild pieces. Playoff never happened and cap wasn't raised lmao... couldn't of worked out better for my lineup even if I tried imagining it. We carried over the winnings that was meant for last seasons playoffs over to this year so this year even tho teams made moves with playoffs in mind, they can't go off track to much as double the prize pool is at stakes. Hopefully I can make a big enough dent this year and maaaaaaybe run with it all lol. Again.... wishful thinking.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Player Team Position
    Andrei Vasilevskiy TB G
    Carey Price MON G
    Paul Stastny WPG C
    Christian Dvorak ARI C,LW
    Tony DeAngelo NYR D
    Sergei Bobrovsky FLA G
    Tyson Barrie EDM D
    Anthony Duclair (N/A) LW,RW
    Joonas Korpisalo CBJ G
    Blake Lizotte LA C
    Dominik Kahun (N/A) LW,RW
    Alexander Wennberg FLA C,LW
    Patrick Marleau SJ C,LW,RW
    Alex Galchenyuk OTT C,LW
    Esa Lindell DAL D
    Lawson Crouse ARI LW
    Jimmy Vesey (N/A) LW,RW
    Vladislav Gavrikov CBJ D
    Carter Verhaeghe FLA C,LW
    Kevin Stenlund CBJ C,RW
    Casey Mittelstadt BUF C
    Jakob Lilja (N/A) LW,RW
    Morgan Geekie CAR C
    Anton Forsberg EDM G
    Joel Kiviranta DAL LW,RW
    Jean-Sebastien Dea BUF C,RW
    Mikko Lehtonen TOR D
    Connor Ingram NSH G
    John Beecher BOS C
    Lukas Dostal ANA G
    Jeremy Swayman BOS G
    Joel Blomqvist PIT G
    Patrik Puistola CAR LW,RW
    Ivan Prosvetov ARI G
    David Farrance NSH D
    Ilya Konovalov EDM G
    Matias Maccelli ARI LW
    Morgan Barron NYR C
    Joey Daccord OTT G
    Semyon Der-Arguchintsev TOR C
    Julius Honka DAL D
    Jordan Spence LA D
    Dmitry Samorukov EDM D
    Tye Felhaber DAL C
    Zach Fucale WSH G
    Sean Day (N/A) D
    Timur Bilyalov (N/A) G
    Arnaud Durandeau NYI LW
    Jan Drozg PIT RW
    Anatoly Golyshev NYI LW
    Vladimir Tkachev EDM LW
    Henry Bowlby FLA C
    Kirill Semyonov (N/A) C
    Calvin Pickard DET G

My current guys on the watch list.. my plan isn't picking all of them up, just a list of guys sleeping in our free agency market that I keep tabs on in case its time to yank them out or any news regarding their progress in other leagues.

I have a few other lists but this one gets updated newsfeed from FT

Guys I'd cross off that list:

Pickard - he's just never put it together.
    Lindell - that's a contract I was so happy to deal away. Inherited him on a team I took over.

I like Vasilevskiy for you, as he's clearly the best player on that list, and young enough to not worry much about the contract. His contract runs out at the same age Jones' does, for example, but Jones has never been elite.

However, Korpisalo is a really good cheaper option. Heck, you might find that "both" works.

I expect Rask won't get bought out, but might retire after this year.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Guys I'd cross off that list:

Pickard - he's just never put it together.
    Lindell - that's a contract I was so happy to deal away. Inherited him on a team I took over.

I like Vasilevskiy for you, as he's clearly the best player on that list, and young enough to not worry much about the contract. His contract runs out at the same age Jones' does, for example, but Jones has never been elite.

However, Korpisalo is a really good cheaper option. Heck, you might find that "both" works.

I expect Rask won't get bought out, but might retire after this year.
    Haha that bad for Pickard huh ? Lol... I was a big Pickard fan back in 15-17... I was maybe hoping for him to get a 700k tryout and end up filling 30gsmes for me but gotta cut the cord at some point loll. Pickard is in that Louis Dominguez category for me so you never know if they get a callback when Philly plays 8 goalies in a season hahaha!! Lindell I was just keeping an eye on as I pegged him supporting Klinger way back when even before heiskanen was in the scope. Guess I need to update the list s bit but I have so many athat I just end up using another after a while. I even have all my lists made back in 2014 lol. So don't think because their names are on there that im keeping them at a birds eye view.. fantasy hockey's like that one you go past the 5th year lol. I was more aiming on bidding for korpi and jarry just to either have them actively playing or potential trade bait pieces
    . I have a feeling if I try to bud on vas ill be going up against the newly expanded teams which all have minimum 40m of cap to fill so rather then going after what everyone is gonna be gunning for, i always try to ninja my way into bids and lead everyone on. Our soon to come frenzy date is a silent bidding war that closes after 24hrs after thr market opens up. Everyone gets a wallet with the amount reflecting their freed up cap space at the time of the Frenzy. If you have 39m free you get 39m to bid across everyone you'd like to acquire which is a great way to ninja guys who may end up being sleepers during the off-season. I plan to put bids on the following and see what sticks. Bear in mind I also have the option to redrop anyone who clears as long as it's before day 1 of the season opening.

- vasilevski

-dvorak (maybe)

-Barrie ill be investing alot of my wallet into because of hisb1yr deal and upside to be relevant and hot again. Hopefully I can flip him once he does and ends up resigning as main PP QB for Edmonton. All speculations for now but the upside is to big to passup and the risk is almost non existant. Thought Reinhart was gonna resign at 7m and mantha at 8 so that freed up alot of my initial worries.

-jarry for Seattle potential maybe

-korpisalo cause why not

-kahun but I doubt I get him, alot of pens fans and eyes are on him slot lately

-crouse. Might be a sleeper pick-up imo

Gavrikov just got scratched after seeing his new contract

-geekie cause I've heard alot of ramblings about him in these forums so cant be a bad thing to consider

-for sure im bidding on all of the following since they're all stashable in the minor farm pool(swayman,kitiviranta,Ingram,distal,daccord,blo mqvist,prosvetov,fucale,) pretty sure I won't be the only one doing so so can't have the others get them for free.
    Still curious about what honka ends up being like in Dallas but I might be forced to drop something if I do.

-biggest sleeper in there is miko lethonen. He was "drafted" by accident by an owner who thought he was eligible for draft but wasn't the case. Showdd me theres at least 1 guy out there who has him on his radar and from what I could tell, the others seemed sorta clueless as to why his pick was rejected and why would he try to pick up a 24yr old. Cant risk it as he's always seems to have the same guys im also watching and its always been a battle between me and him trying to get to them first.

Let me know what you think about my POV on some of the names mentioned above. And also if you had guys you'd like to bring to my attention that'd be great. Bear in mind most of the guys do visit these boards from time to time so they would essentially own anything relevant. Especially with a 25man farm team times 14 teams. Doesn't give a big window to grab prospects right before they end up being discovered. Ive had kitiviranta on that list (and gurianov) for like 2 to 4 yrs now. Stupid boy had to score a hat trick at the worst possible time when the market is closed lmao. Way to introduce you to everyone now..I remember laughing so hard that game smh xD

A few thoughts:
    Gavrikov & Lehtonen already on my dynasty roster. I took Konovalov in his draft year.

I don't think Jarry is going to Seattle. He's the Penguins guy.

Picking the right prospect goalies to take shots one will be helpful, and sooner is better normally. Sharks got Alexei Melnichuk who is a bit like Lehtonen, but a different position.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

A few thoughts:
    Gavrikov & Lehtonen already on my dynasty roster. I took Konovalov in his draft year.

I don't think Jarry is going to Seattle. He's the Penguins guy.

Picking the right prospect goalies to take shots one will be helpful, and sooner is better normally. Sharks got Alexei Melnichuk who is a bit like Lehtonen, but a different position.
    Thx for the sj netminder, hes been added to the list
    -the list of Jericho