Thread: Sell Saros?

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Sell Saros?

I am a Colorado fan, and I am interested in acquiring Annunen.

My current starting 4 are Blackwood, Saros, Grubauer, Kuemper. I have two goalies in the minors that are going to be promoted in one or two years, Merzlikins and Petersen (minors goalies must be moved up once they play 60+ games in their career).

Do I sell Saros knowing that Askarov is in the Nashville pipeline now?

Stats: Win: 3pts, Loss: -1pt, GA: -.5/goal, SO: +4pts, Saves: .11/save

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Sell Saros?

for Annunen? no....

Askarov is 2-3 years away imo, some think 5 years away.

you got decent crop of goalies but argument can be made that Saros is your best one atm.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Star

The key point here is that Askarov being drafted does not change Saros' ability. It just means (probably) that Saros will be a starting goalie for two different teams in the next 5-7 years.

- Saros' contract with Nashville ends after 2020-21 where he'll be an RFA. He'll probably re-sign with Nashville, but probably not a term longer than 2-4 years.
    - For this analysis, let's be bullish on Askarov, which to me is the next two years in the KHL, then a Nashville backup for some or part of year 3. Of course, Askarov could take longer to get there. Probably not shorter than that.
    - Saros will be around 28, within his prime, if Askarov gets to Nashville in 2022-2023.

If Saros is 28 and performs near his potential, he'll probably get signed by another team after his Nashville contract ends to be their starter, or at least have a 1A/1B role.

Saros probably won't be with Nashville in 4 years, but unless he craps out beforehand, he'll be starting somewhere in the NHL past age 30. Even if Saros plays at the level of an average goalie, you'll have 5-7 years of starting production. I'd focus on that instead of being worried about Askarov.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Sell Grub or Blackwood

Dobber Sports Grand Master

No. If a team having a hot prospect means you to need to not hold the NHL starter, you will have some real issues finding actual goalies to roster.

Think about it like this: Askarov in Nashville, means people are going to want to buy low on Saros, and/or to just dump him if they have him - yet he's the guy likely starting for them in the NHL. Admittedly, trading young starters for goalie prospects is a great way to kickstart your teardown, because you will get worse immediately.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Novice

Thanks senryu, that helps. That being said, Merzlikins (who I am not offering to trade) will very likely be put into my active roster. Of the remaining 3, who do you think I should focus on selling now (remember, I'm an Avs fan, so hard to send Grubauer) so that I do not lose one to free agency, or have to sell low at the end of next season?

Dobber Sports Novice

Fair enough stevegamer. In the event next season I have to move Merzlikins in, should I be looking to sell any of the other 3 now, before I either lose one to free agency, or have to move one very low.

Thanks

I'd figure out who you want to shop closer to the time you need to make a decision, or put a bunch on the block, and ask for offers.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Superstar

do not turn to moving Blackwood, he is a sneaky good option that will only improve IMO in correlation with team improvement. You'll hate me for saying it but you should try to take advantage of the hype train around your Avs and sell Grubauer if you really want to move a netminder. You know he is going to get hurt, the man is 28 and it's not about to change as far as his health trend. Saros should see the most starts in NSH now, the trend began last year. Kuemper is one of the best in the game when healthy.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by LuigiC173 View Post
    do not turn to moving Blackwood, he is a sneaky good option that will only improve IMO in correlation with team improvement. You'll hate me for saying it but you should try to take advantage of the hype train around your Avs and sell Grubauer if you really want to move a netminder. You know he is going to get hurt, the man is 28 and it's not about to change as far as his health trend. Saros should see the most starts in NSH now, the trend began last year. Kuemper is one of the best in the game when healthy.
    i really dont think moving any of the goalies for Annunen is a good option.

I understand you are a Colorado fan but if you make your fantasy hockey decision based on who you are a fan of you often make mistakes choose best player over personal favorite
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post

I understand you are a Colorado fan but if you make your fantasy hockey decision based on who you are a fan of you often make mistakes choose best player over personal favorite
    I concur but I've def learned on this forum to not try to sway what the OP wants to do, so if he's gonna deal one i'll just try to give the best advice I can ya know.

Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post

My theory in fantasy sports has always to have at least one guy I can root for personally, and one on my favorite teams - often that fits together. It's often a player that is a depth guy for me, or in football a kicker/defense, since you can often get them later in drafts.

I try to avoid players I loathe, and teams I hate to an extent - those players will get dropped down to the bottom of their tier, unless I loathe them enbough to remove them from my board; that takes a lot.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Or you can stack up on the Avs first line like I did ��
    8 Team Keeper League
    Keep 35 at the end of the year+5 JR slots(can be kept for 3 yrs after draft or less than 10 NHL games)

Points(4) PIM(0.5) +\-(0.5) Wins(5) SO(5) GA(-0.5) Save(0.1)

Roster:
    17F
    8D
    3G
    12Farm
    5 JR spots

F: Landeskog Mackinnon Kaprizov Panarin Rantanen Bratt Buchnevich Hintz
    Kreider Svechnikov Marner T. Wilson Guentzel Rust Fiala Aho Meier

D: Carlson Toews Theodore Krug Klingberg Barrie Ekblad Weegar

G: Bobrovsky Saros Vasilevskiy

Farm: Hagel, Petersen, Yamamoto, R. Strome, Addison Bjorkstrand ,JEEK, Duchene, Hartman, Severson, Burakovsky ,Nicushkin, Barbashev

JRs: Bourgault L. Cormier Lambos Olausson Zellweger

IR: Couturier/Ellis

Dobber Sports Master

Everyone can be sold, just make sure it’s for the right price. Sell Saros as a starter, because that’s what he is. Askarov is 18 and a lot can happen between 18 and like, 21-22 when he has a realistic chance of trying to start for an nhl franchise. By all means sell, but sell as a starter.