Thread: RIP Howie Meeker

Dobber Sports Deity

Default RIP Howie Meeker

I am sure most are too young to actually remember Howie Meeker on HNIC, but as a kid I remember him well, with his telestrator and telling the booth to "stop it right here" so he could circle and highlight certain parts of the plays for the home audiences. He was the Don Cherry of his time although no where near as controversial. His Hockey School segments on CBC were legendary.

Howie Meeker was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1998 as a broadcaster but he was much more than that to the game of hockey, especially to those who grew up watching him on TV every weekend. He was 97 years of age.

RIP Mr Meeker.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: RIP Howie Meeker

Stop it right there, back it up, see he goes around him like a hoop around a barrel.
    RIP Howie
    Yahoo! 10 Team Keep 6, H2H - 1 win
    G, A, SOG, PPP, FOW, H, B, Wins, GAA, Sv%, SHO
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 1Ut, 4D, 3G, 6Bench, 2-I/R+, 1NA

C: Bennett, Couturier, Zacha
    LW: Draisaitl-C, Stutzle-C, Kaprizov, E.Kane
    RW: Marner I/R,T.Thompson-C, Necas-C, Nichushkin
    D: Dahlin, Bouchard, Gudas, Romanov, KA Miller
    G: Vasilevskiy , Skinner, Gustavsson, Woll, Allen
    4 weekly minimum start’s required
    I/R: Sergachev

When I say nothing, I say everything. J.White

Dobber Sports Master

howie meeker , peter puck , showdown ''76 /77/78 etc..

can we bring back the 70's ?

true story . in pee wee I had a teammate who's dad bought him a hockey stick that came from some type of promo in the late 70's / early 80's . It was a white stick with orange lettering HOWIE MEEKER . It was a low end stick so he took a lot of razzing from us but didnt take any guff from the opposition when they busted his balls over the cheap Howie Meeker brand stick . After taking crap for a few shifts he cross checked a guy across the face shield which broke the stick in half . I remember him yelling ''you like the taste of my Howie Meeker stick now assh@#%''

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    howie meeker , peter puck , showdown ''76 /77/78 etc..

can we bring back the 70's ?

true story . in pee wee I had a teammate who's dad bought him a hockey stick that came from some type of promo in the late 70's / early 80's . It was a white stick with orange lettering HOWIE MEEKER . It was a low end stick so he took a lot of razzing from us but didnt take any guff from the opposition when they busted his balls over the cheap Howie Meeker brand stick . After taking crap for a few shifts he cross checked a guy across the face shield which broke the stick in half . I remember him yelling ''you like the taste of my Howie Meeker stick now assh@#%''
    LOL!

I remember Howie having his own branded gloves, pants and skates for sale at Canadian Tire where I grew up. I was a goalie so they were no good to me, but I still remember some of my friends owning and wearing them.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Jedi

When I hear Meeker's voice I think of my Grandfather.

My childhood was running next door to my Grandparents house, sitting down and watching Hockey Night in Canada with my Grandfather.
    The birth and foundation of my love for the Leafs right there.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4