Thread: Sign Pulock or Not?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Sign Pulock or Not?

Looking for some advise as I try to decide whether I sign the 2 year, 5 million contract.

Don't sign Pulock:
    -Are my dmen good enough for the year? Hedman and Hronek and Marino feel good for the year, but Sandin and Bouchard are not exactly locks. At the same time both Hronek and Marino have only had one decent year, will they continue? If I don't sign Pulock I will need to roll with a lot of rookies, but then can spend that money upgrading my center position.

Sign Pulock:
    The only way I can fit his contract is by putting Hayton in the minors, none of the other contacts are worth enough in my league other than Gurianov (which I won't do). This would mean he can't be called up unless an injury occurs and it means I would need to replace him at center with someone else on my roster. If Marchessault retains his C designation then I can move him there and put Garland into his place on left. My worries here are potential position loss when yahoo starts up again and I don't have another center to replace Hayton.

Overall I like Pulock's contract and may try to trade him, but very few GMs have the space so I could easily lose him. I just can't decide if my defense corp is good enough without Pulock or if an addition of a better center than Hayton would be get me more fan points.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Salary Cap League - 13 Teams
    Cap: 83.5 Million
    Roster: 2 LW, 2 RW, 2 C, 2 Wing, 1 Forward, 4 D, 1 G, 5 Bench, 7 Farm
    Cats: PTS 1, PIMS 0.1, Blocked Shots 0.1, hits 0.1; Wins, Goals Against(-), SO, Saves

C: Crosby, Pavelski
    F: Mercer
    LW: Guentzel, Kaprizov
    RW: Kucherov, Marchessault
    W: E. Kane, Perron
    D: Q Hughes, Bouchard, Addison, Sandin
    G: Shesterkin
    Bench: Raanta, Rossi, Guhle, Garland

Farm: Soderstrom

Free Agents: Maccelli, Newhook, Gudas, Carrier, Kyrou, Gustafsson

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Sign Pulock or Not?

Good overview.

I'd take Pulock over Gurianov/Hayton. And I don't have a ton of confidence in your defense in a 12 team league. I think Pulock is a big addition for you.
    H2H Dynasty, 16 Team Salary: G, A, PPP, SOG, Hits, BKS, SHTOI, W, Sv%, Saves, GA%, (4C, 4RW, 4LW, 6D, 1G)

C: Crosby, Malkin, Larkin, Hartman, McBain, Joshua
    RW: Rantanen, Konecny, Strome, Batherson, Zetterland
    LW: Buchnevich, Ehlers, Marchessault, Bertuzzi, Acciari
    D: McNabb, Ferraro, Hakanpaa, Lyabushkin, Samuelsson, Bernard-Docker, Emberson
    G: Merzlikens, Daccord, Samsonov
    Prospects: Kurich, Lucius, Pelletier, Cristall, Yurov, Beckman, Brisson, Dean, Phillips, Poitras

Dobber Sports Jedi

it's unlikely Sandin sees a lot of playing time in Tor this year. So if you account for him playing 15-25 NHL games. I think it leads to wanting to sign Pulock even more.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Titan

If you aren't going to sign Pulock at $5M then you were never going to sign him. That was the absolute cheapest he was going to end up signing for, and it's a bargain. Keep the best assets, and sort out lineups later.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    If you aren't going to sign Pulock at $5M then you were never going to sign him. That was the absolute cheapest he was going to end up signing for, and it's a bargain. Keep the best assets, and sort out lineups later.
    To be honest I always assumed he would be priced out of my salary structure with a 7 million plus contract. 5 million on another bridge contract was definitely not expected, but with the economics of 2020 playing their part, now a reality. Everyone here has confirmed that I need to indeed find a way to fit him into my team. My Dmen are just not where they need to be for this upcoming year.
    Cats: PTS 1, PIMS 0.1, Blocked Shots 0.1, hits 0.1; Wins, Goals Against(-), SO, Saves

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by horseflyhab View Post
    To be honest I always assumed he would be priced out of my salary structure with a 7 million plus contract. 5 million on another bridge contract was definitely not expected, but with the economics of 2020 playing their part, now a reality. Everyone here has confirmed that I need to indeed find a way to fit him into my team. My Dmen are just not where they need to be for this upcoming year.
    That makes sense. It has definitely been a tough year for salary projections.
    Sounds like you have a good handle on the situation though!
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    That makes sense. It has definitely been a tough year for salary projections.
    Sounds like you have a good handle on the situation though!
    All my salary projections went out the window this year for sure. I just wish I had more RFAs and UFAs signing this year, looks like there are deals going down everywhere. Like Mantha for less than 6 million!? That's a steal. Now Strome under 5 million, gotta love that.

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by horseflyhab View Post
    All my salary projections went out the window this year for sure. I just wish I had more RFAs and UFAs signing this year, looks like there are deals going down everywhere. Like Mantha for less than 6 million!? That's a steal. Now Strome under 5 million, gotta love that.
    I've been debating signing Pulock and after deliberation i've concluded that there just are not enough D-men that produce points for under 5million.
    Islanders are a good team - and Pulock is a lock for PP1 for a long time. If you don't sign him, you have to think about who you would replace him with and is that 2.5million dollar 3rd pairing d-man a better idea? I think not.