Thread: Keep 1: EK vs Heiskanen

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Keep 1: EK vs Heiskanen

Hi all,

For league in signature. I own Erik Karlsson ($6 to keep) and Heiskanen ($11 to keep), and need to choose one for next season.

Our league provides no additional to benefit to defenseman and swallowing EK's plus/minus hurt pretty badly for me last year. Assume that the $5 saved provides a bit more breathing room on draft day but doesn't necessarily add you this player vs that player gain. I have also shopped both and no upgrade to goalie or forward available, every GM is pretty much set in who they are keeping. EK's value has plummeted in our league (likely most) where Miro's is on the up especially if he carries his playoff performance into the season (I expect he will be a better trade value own for in season trades).

Who would you rather? My gut is saying Heisk, knowing this is the cheapest I have ever been going into draft already.

Thanks!
    Keeper Team: $300 Auction draft, 10 F, 5 D, 3 G, 5 Bench
    Keep For Following Year: 3 F, 2 D, 1 G

11 Team, Rotisserie G A PTS +/- PIMS PPG PPA SHP GWG W GAA SV% SO

F: Marner, Eichel, Hughes, Crosby, Kopitar, Rust, O'Reilly, Giroux, Horvat, Palat, Podkolzin, Jenner, Copp*, Colton*
    D:
    Toews, Byram, Letang, Theodore, Hamilton
    G:
    Campbell, Fleury, Knight, Quick
    IR: *Cirelli, *DeBrusk

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: Keep 1: EK vs Heiskanen

Can't say I am in any auction style leagues but I like Heisk at this price.

The Great One

Heiskanen.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Jedi

I really want to say EK at $6, but I kinda worry - he'll spend half the year on the IR.
    Be worth $5 to reduce that risk for similar production 55-ish
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Titan

Personnally at that price I'm taking the risk on Karlsson.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Personnally at that price I'm taking the risk on Karlsson.
    I'm with EB. Karlsson is still elite; at a discounted price, I'd take the gamble.
    H2H Dynasty, 16 Team Salary: G, A, PPP, SOG, Hits, BKS, SHTOI, W, Sv%, Saves, GA%, (4C, 4RW, 4LW, 6D, 1G)

C: Crosby, Malkin, Larkin, Hartman, McBain, Joshua
    RW: Rantanen, Konecny, Strome, Batherson, Zetterland
    LW: Buchnevich, Ehlers, Marchessault, Bertuzzi, Acciari
    D: McNabb, Ferraro, Hakanpaa, Lyabushkin, Samuelsson, Bernard-Docker, Emberson
    G: Merzlikens, Daccord, Samsonov
    Prospects: Kurich, Lucius, Pelletier, Cristall, Yurov, Beckman, Brisson, Dean, Phillips, Poitras

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Given that it's an auction league, I'd probably keep Heiskanen with an eye to dealing him, and try to re-buy Karlsson. I really like that price,and if his value is down, then his price is unlikely to go up.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Thanks everyone! I expected a bit of a split vote here and got it. I suspect my decision will come right down to the wire.

I have been offered a waiver for Karlsson (1 extra add/drop outside of injury replacement moves - we only get 6 in a year).

I typically make these moves because in Dobber philosophy (I'm sure I've read this over the years), its better to get something than nothing if you have to toss a player back. The problem there is, the guy offering is my fantasy hockey arch nemesis who certainly doesn't need an advantage! lol

In a shortened season and after a long offseason, I'm thinking that Karlsson may be able to push through without significant lost time. Last season was his worst statistically and there is bounceback appeal. I expect if I toss him back, he will be ~$10-$15 at auction. Heisk is likely the same, but has much more appeal.

F: Marner, Eichel, Hughes, Crosby, Kopitar, Rust, O'Reilly, Giroux, Horvat, Palat, Podkolzin, Jenner, Copp*, Colton*
    D:
    G:

Dobber Sports Initiate

Call me crazy, but I moved EK for 1 waiver (and a few players I may possibly be able to get additional waivers for). We have a limit of 6 add/drops outside of injury replacements, and I'm a fan of starting the season above 6 if possible. Keeping Miro the Hero!

Thanks for the input on this. My q was posted in a mailbag (where it was recommended to keep EK).. guess you can say I went against the grain

D:
    G: