Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: Top five chocolate bars

After reading all the lists my teeth are on edge from all the sweetness

Nestle Crunch
    Butterfingers
    Purdys peanut butter bar
    Kit Kat
    Peanut M&M’s , not a bar but default top 5

I think I have a mix of Canadian and U.S. chocolates having grown up in both countries.
    Yahoo! 10 Team Keep 6, H2H - 1 win
    G, A, SOG, PPP, FOW, H, B, Wins, GAA, Sv%, SHO
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 1Ut, 4D, 3G, 6Bench, 2-I/R+, 1NA

C: Bennett, Strome, Haula
    LW: Draisaitl-C, Stutzle-C, Kaprizov, E.Kane
    RW: Marner I/R,T.Thompson-C, Necas-C, Svechnikov-RW/LW, Hathaway
    D: Dahlin, Bouchard, Gudas, Benoit, Schneider, Burroughs
    G: Vasilevskiy , Skinner, Gustavsson
    4 weekly minimum start’s required
    I/R: Sergachev

When I say nothing, I say everything. J.White

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by senryu View Post
    I know the subject line says bars, but

1. Peanut M&Ms

is the objective leader in candy. Then:

2. Whatchamacallit
    3. Snickers
    4. Kit Kat
    5. Nestle Crunch
    9,814 Cat vomit mixed with mayonnaise left out in the sun
    9,815 Charleston Chew
    LOL!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    So today, I assume a lot of people will be on edge due to the unrest in the US, so I thought I'd try something to take your mind off it. I saw this on Twitter yesterday so I will try it here.

If you are anything like me, you love chocolate. Even if you dont love it, but just enjoy it, you must have some favorite chocolate bars (or as they call them South of the border, candy bars). So go ahead and list your five favorites for me.

1. Caramilk
    2. Crunchie
    3. Aero
    4. Reese Peanut Butter Cups (are they even a chocolate bar? Who cares, they are chocolate and PB together)
    5. Wunderbar

How about you. What are your top five?
    Sometimes Axe comes along at just the right moment and posts something that the vast majority just need as a pressure release! Well done!

1. Crunchie
    2. Aero
    3. KitKat (believe it or not, but I really prefer the big kitkat's)
    4. Mars
    5. Wonderbar

But given my most recent health kick and weight loss, I only allow items I consider an absolute "10" to enter this body.

Which is why the Kids and Wife know they better be extra quiet if they try to sneak some of my Plain Chocolate M&M's out of the Celebration Sized bag from the freezer in the basement. OH... which reminds me, I'm changing #5 from Wonderbar to Brownie M&M's. Yeah, they're redic!

But My All time go to will continue to be Plain M&M's.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Fun thread. My top 5:

1. Big turk
    2. Reese cups
    3. Coffee Crisp
    4. Kit Kat
    5. Twix

Although not a bar, HM to the classic box of Pot of Gold chocolate. There was always a box of those around the house for christmas.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Well, this is going to require two lists from me. First off, "chocolate bar" is not a synonym for "candy bar". Candy bars without chocolate are most decidedly not chocolate bars. So I'm giving you my top 5 candy, and my top 5 chocolate bars.

Top 5 candy, no chocolate bars here:

1. Zagnut bar - it's simply peanut butter & toasted coconut. I once solved a melting chocolate candy bar problem for a street hot dog vendor I frequented by telling him about these. I was rewarded with a free one with every purchase, and getting called "The Zagnut Guy". this is the primary reason for the 2 lists.

2. Good N Plenty - candy coated, and makes a nice noise. And on that note ...

3. Black Licorice - before you are disgusted, think about this. Black jelly beans are among the biggest selling flavors, because it's generally the only flavor that gets it's own bag. And there are reliably a couple bags left over at stores & discounted after Easter. So you get them, and are good until next Easter.

4. Tootsie Pops - You get the candy flavor and the Tootsie Roll center. two flavors for the price of one.

5. Wilbur Buds - imagine, if you will a Hershey's Kiss shaped candy made from better chocolate; by a company that has been making these since before Hershey introduced Kisses.

Top 5 chocolate bars:

1. Skor
    2. Toblerone
    3. Goldberg's Peanut Chews - A chewy bar with peanuts & molasses covered in chocolate. A Philly local favorite, and given to troops in WWI
    4. KitKat
    5. Clark - It's now peanut butter coated in chocolate and previously had a caramel core as well. I prefer the older version. Also given to troops in the world wars.

Honorable mention candies: Peeps, Charelston Chew, Chunky, Mounds, Chik-O-Stix, Lemonheads, Twix, Milky Way (especially dark), Peanut M&M's.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Stud

1) Butterfingers !!
    2) Reese’s
    3) Hershey’s (actually I prefer their dark chocolate)
    4) Twix
    5) Almond M&Ms

Trust me, I’m an expert - grew up a bike ride from the original Hershey’s and Reese’s factories.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Brad View Post
    1) Butterfingers !!
    2) Reese’s
    3) Hershey’s (actually I prefer their dark chocolate)
    4) Twix
    5) Almond M&Ms

Trust me, I’m an expert - grew up a bike ride from the original Hershey’s and Reese’s factories.
    You mean near Hershey, or in Philly where Hershey was founded?
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Stud

So, technically Milton Hershey’s first company, in/near Philly, failed - and then he succeeded with a caramel company in Amish country near Lancaster, PA - and after selling that company, he went back to chocolate. I’m honestly not sure if the chocolate company was born in Hershey (obviously it wasn’t called Hershey way back when), but yeah..... Reese’s was founded by Mr. Reese, who worked at the chocolate factory and was loaned start-up money by Milton Hershey, had its first plant on Chocolate Ave, about 1 1/2 miles from the Hershey plant.

I should weigh 300 lb, except that my friends and I had to bike to the factories (free samples all summer).
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

Administrator

One of the true joys of working on a forest fire crew is the food they treat you to. We go out to fires with these frozen coolers stuffed with food for meals and snacks meant to last 4 people for 48 hours and typically comes packed with an assortment of a dozen candy bars. When I started running my own crew, I decided that the fairest way to divvy out the chocolate and make it a fun treat was to have a daily chocolate bar draft for after dinner.

Did the fantasy hockey guy bring drafting into his work environment? Yes he did. It has gone over great! Many of the other crews adopted my philosophy.

As you can imagine, a good candy bar at the end of a long hard day is a nice treat to look forward to, and it becomes something of a debate and discussion throughout the days. There are no "right answers" when it comes to people's taste but it can be fun to debate all the same, so I've had many debates over the years. The greatest debate: Snickers vs. Mars

I very much prefer Snickers to Mars. The peanut crunch is EVERYTHING in balancing out the crumbly nougat and creamy caramel. The peanut also helps to overcome the sheer volume of sweet caramel that can be sickening. But for some the peanut is a trash nut, and needless filler when what they want is that smoothness and overpowering sweetness. To those people I say, you're wrong, but I'm happy you are drafting all the Mars and leaving Snickers on the board.

My rankings below:

1. Peanut Butter Cup - Must be the cup. The Pieces, some Smarties/M&M knock off nonsense are Satan's spawn - overly sweetened, underflavoured, stomach aching trash. Peanut butter M&M's are a trillion times better than whatever nonsense the Reese's Pieces are trying to be. I have no idea how they failed so mightily. But the Peanut Butter M&M's aren't sold as a traditional "candy bar" so I exclude them here. Otherwise they'd be contenders as well. The Pieces do try to be candy bars, but even the small amount in a Halloween sized package is too many.

The Peanut Butter Cup, particularly in some state of slightly frozen is delightful. The thin chocolate has just enough crunch/snap to it to generate that excellent mouthfeel. The chocolate is also extra sweet, which counters well with the slight saltiness of the peanut butter, which is also a bit sweet and has that wonderful crumble with a bit of crunch from what remains of the peanut in the butter. Simply delightful.

I have traded whole other candy bars for single Peanut Butter cups and it was a good trade.

538 even studied this concept, the Peanut Butter cup is #1: https://fivethirtyeight.com/videos/t...power-ranking/

2) Wunderbar

Apparently it goes by the name "Starbar" in the UK. I don't think it's available in the US.

Has real crushed peanuts in the centre, surrounded by a layer of caramel, surrounded by a layer of chocolate. Interestingly smooth. Doesn't have too much caramel to be overly gluttonous and like with the Snickers, the peanuts serve the purpose of balancing out the sweetness of the caramel. Because the peanuts are crushed, there's less crunch than a Snickers. It's similar flavours but much more subtle.

The Wunderbar is also similar to the Crispy Crunch/Butterfinger. I see lots of folks stanning for the Butterfinger. Wunderbar doesn't have the snap in the caramel portion, nor as much sweetness in the peanut portion. It's also not as salty as either the Crispy Crunch or the Butterfinger (CC is the saltiest of the bunch). It's a gooier bar but not one that overburdens with sweetness but has the smooth caramel, which I prefer over the snappy kind in the Crispy Crunch/Butterfinger.

3. Snickers

Just a great bar. It's dense. It's chewy. But it has enough crunch and enough salt to balance out the volume of sweetness and overall chewy textures of the rest of the bar. A Mars bar is like eating a cake without the sponge. The Snickers takes all of those flavours, incorporates the peanut for enhance texture, taste and hell even some fiber. Honestly, buy yourself a pack of Snickers for a buck a pop instead of some overpriced, overhyped energy bars people spend $3-5 apiece on, and you're getting nearly the same nutritional profile. Not that it's "healthy" but if you find yourself burning 5000+ Kcal in a day, you can find room for it, and you'll enjoy the Snickers more as well.

4. Skor

This one is pure snap because of the toffee, which is the ultimate in rich decadence. I don't think I could do more than one Skor in a sitting, and probably wouldn't go for it multiple days in a row. But as a changeup, it's fantastic because of how filling it is despite it's small size. It takes all the sweetness and richness of the Mars but packs it even tighter and comes with a wonderfully satisfying mouthfeel with that snappy, melty toffee.

5. Hershey's Cookies and Cream

The only thing more decadent than the Skor is the Hershey's Cookies and Cream. But it's almost too decadent. You aren't eating that whole thing yourself. However, it's easily divisible and tradable. Any time it showed itself in the draft, it would be drafted with the intent to be traded off in parts. It's like drafting a bunch of Leaf players and then selling them off for stuff you really fancy or simply a high volume of parts. You can get 2-3 bits of a Kit Kat for 1 bit of Cookies and Cream.

Technically, I'd draft this after the Peanut Butter cups are gone. It's scarcity pushes it up. But it's sweetness hurts it in actual rankings. You wouldn't eat it all yourself, nor would you want to. Frankly, **** you if you aren't sharing it.

Notes: I've never seen a candy bar I didn't want to eat, they are all worthy to some extent (except those damned Pieces), but there's a correct way to rank/draft these. In my tent, if you disagree it only works to my favour because I get more of what I want!
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    One of the true joys of working on a forest fire crew is the food they treat you to. We go out to fires with these frozen coolers stuffed with food for meals and snacks meant to last 4 people for 48 hours and typically comes packed with an assortment of a dozen candy bars. When I started running my own crew, I decided that the fairest way to divvy out the chocolate and make it a fun treat was to have a daily chocolate bar draft for after dinner.

Did the fantasy hockey guy bring drafting into his work environment? Yes he did. It has gone over great! Many of the other crews adopted my philosophy.

As you can imagine, a good candy bar at the end of a long hard day is a nice treat to look forward to, and it becomes something of a debate and discussion throughout the days. There are no "right answers" when it comes to people's taste but it can be fun to debate all the same, so I've had many debates over the years. The greatest debate: Snickers vs. Mars

I very much prefer Snickers to Mars. The peanut crunch is EVERYTHING in balancing out the crumbly nougat and creamy caramel. The peanut also helps to overcome the sheer volume of sweet caramel that can be sickening. But for some the peanut is a trash nut, and needless filler when what they want is that smoothness and overpowering sweetness. To those people I say, you're wrong, but I'm happy you are drafting all the Mars and leaving Snickers on the board.

My rankings below:

1. Peanut Butter Cup - Must be the cup. The Pieces, some Smarties/M&M knock off nonsense are Satan's spawn - overly sweetened, underflavoured, stomach aching trash. Peanut butter M&M's are a trillion times better than whatever nonsense the Reese's Pieces are trying to be. I have no idea how they failed so mightily. But the Peanut Butter M&M's aren't sold as a traditional "candy bar" so I exclude them here. Otherwise they'd be contenders as well. The Pieces do try to be candy bars, but even the small amount in a Halloween sized package is too many.

The Peanut Butter Cup, particularly in some state of slightly frozen is delightful. The thin chocolate has just enough crunch/snap to it to generate that excellent mouthfeel. The chocolate is also extra sweet, which counters well with the slight saltiness of the peanut butter, which is also a bit sweet and has that wonderful crumble with a bit of crunch from what remains of the peanut in the butter. Simply delightful.

I have traded whole other candy bars for single Peanut Butter cups and it was a good trade.

538 even studied this concept, the Peanut Butter cup is #1: https://fivethirtyeight.com/videos/t...power-ranking/

2) Wunderbar

Apparently it goes by the name "Starbar" in the UK. I don't think it's available in the US.

Has real crushed peanuts in the centre, surrounded by a layer of caramel, surrounded by a layer of chocolate. Interestingly smooth. Doesn't have too much caramel to be overly gluttonous and like with the Snickers, the peanuts serve the purpose of balancing out the sweetness of the caramel. Because the peanuts are crushed, there's less crunch than a Snickers. It's similar flavours but much more subtle.

The Wunderbar is also similar to the Crispy Crunch/Butterfinger. I see lots of folks stanning for the Butterfinger. Wunderbar doesn't have the snap in the caramel portion, nor as much sweetness in the peanut portion. It's also not as salty as either the Crispy Crunch or the Butterfinger (CC is the saltiest of the bunch). It's a gooier bar but not one that overburdens with sweetness but has the smooth caramel, which I prefer over the snappy kind in the Crispy Crunch/Butterfinger.

3. Snickers

Just a great bar. It's dense. It's chewy. But it has enough crunch and enough salt to balance out the volume of sweetness and overall chewy textures of the rest of the bar. A Mars bar is like eating a cake without the sponge. The Snickers takes all of those flavours, incorporates the peanut for enhance texture, taste and hell even some fiber. Honestly, buy yourself a pack of Snickers for a buck a pop instead of some overpriced, overhyped energy bars people spend $3-5 apiece on, and you're getting nearly the same nutritional profile. Not that it's "healthy" but if you find yourself burning 5000+ Kcal in a day, you can find room for it, and you'll enjoy the Snickers more as well.

4. Skor

This one is pure snap because of the toffee, which is the ultimate in rich decadence. I don't think I could do more than one Skor in a sitting, and probably wouldn't go for it multiple days in a row. But as a changeup, it's fantastic because of how filling it is despite it's small size. It takes all the sweetness and richness of the Mars but packs it even tighter and comes with a wonderfully satisfying mouthfeel with that snappy, melty toffee.

5. Hershey's Cookies and Cream

The only thing more decadent than the Skor is the Hershey's Cookies and Cream. But it's almost too decadent. You aren't eating that whole thing yourself. However, it's easily divisible and tradable. Any time it showed itself in the draft, it would be drafted with the intent to be traded off in parts. It's like drafting a bunch of Leaf players and then selling them off for stuff you really fancy or simply a high volume of parts. You can get 2-3 bits of a Kit Kat for 1 bit of Cookies and Cream.

Technically, I'd draft this after the Peanut Butter cups are gone. It's scarcity pushes it up. But it's sweetness hurts it in actual rankings. You wouldn't eat it all yourself, nor would you want to. Frankly, **** you if you aren't sharing it.

Notes: I've never seen a candy bar I didn't want to eat, they are all worthy to some extent (except those damned Pieces), but there's a correct way to rank/draft these. In my tent, if you disagree it only works to my favour because I get more of what I want!
    Wow... some serious thought went into this post. Have you been writing this for two days?
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post

!
    I love this. It's like trading Halloween candy. Enjoying a wide variety of candies means that I could usually get 2,3 or more for 1 as a kid. Ended up getting all of two brothers' Good & Plenty once for (I think) 2 plain chocolate bars. That's a haul.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Wow... some serious thought went into this post. Have you been writing this for two days?
    You could say I've been writing it my whole life.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Ninja

I'm really surprised it hasn't made more lists in this thread, but hands down for me the best bar is OH HENRY. Best combo of ingredients imo: Fudge, peanuts, caramel. It's chunky, sweet, crunchy and oh so satisfying.

When I want something lighter I'll reach for: Skor, Aero, Ferraro Rocher.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

As a Brit, I absolutely can not stand chocolate from North America, haven't eaten a choco bar here in over 2 years now unless it's been imported. But here is the true best list for all of ya'll to go out and buy from your local British store

1. Galaxy Bar - The soft velvet chocolate that melts slowly as soon as it touches your tongue, make a hot chocolate out of a few pieces of simply snack away and feel yourself fall into oblivion.

2. Twirl - Flakes sexy, no strings (flakes) attached cousin is the go to for those who like little crumbly bits falling off but don't want to have to deal with the mess of a flake

3. Lion Bar - Wafer, Caramel and Cereal bits? What more could you ask for if you're looking to spruce things up a bit, the first bite you get the crunchy wafer, the gooey garamel and the soft chocolate and as you rip the bar away from your mouth you can feel the Lion in you roaring for more

4. Double Decker - A less complex Lion bar with a more nougat center, simple yet satisfying.

5 Curly F****** Wurly - The one chocolate bar that has a somewhat similar taste over here in NA but it's still not as good, this is the childhood memories right here lads, chocolate for days in this bad boy.

Honorable mentions:
    Yorkie - It's not for girls the advert said, I was never a huge fan of Yorkie but it's just block after block of chocolate, their was something not quite smooth enough about it for me but I know a lot who love it.
    Flake - I'm sorry flake, you're just too messy, otherwise you'd be near the top.
    Wispa - I feel genuinely hurt not fitting this bad boy onto the top 5, imagine an aero bar but it's a block of chocolate and 10x nicer.
    Picnic - I hate nuts, but if you like nuts then this is your go to.

British Choco > North American Choco, all day, any day. PLEASE GO TO YOUR LOCAL BRITISH STORE AND TRY ALL THESE.
    Team One (Mercenaries Of Mandalore) 24T Dynasty, 4LW/RW/C, 6D, 2G, 4B - G, A1, A2, PPG, PPA, SHP, SOG, FOW, FOL, TK, GV, HIT, BLK, FT, ||| W, L, GA, SV, SHO, A

Team Two (Hamilton Tigers) 16T Dynasty - 3LW/RW/C, 6D, 2G, 6B - G, A, PPP, SHP, SOG, BLK, HIT, FOW| W, L, GA, SV, SHO, A

Click here for my teams (not up to date)

Links are too a google document.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by JayJJeffery View Post
    As a Brit, I absolutely can not stand chocolate from North America, haven't eaten a choco bar here in over 2 years now unless it's been imported. But here is the true best list for all of ya'll to go out and buy from your local British store

1. Galaxy Bar - The soft velvet chocolate that melts slowly as soon as it touches your tongue, make a hot chocolate out of a few pieces of simply snack away and feel yourself fall into oblivion.

2. Twirl - Flakes sexy, no strings (flakes) attached cousin is the go to for those who like little crumbly bits falling off but don't want to have to deal with the mess of a flake

3. Lion Bar - Wafer, Caramel and Cereal bits? What more could you ask for if you're looking to spruce things up a bit, the first bite you get the crunchy wafer, the gooey garamel and the soft chocolate and as you rip the bar away from your mouth you can feel the Lion in you roaring for more

4. Double Decker - A less complex Lion bar with a more nougat center, simple yet satisfying.

5 Curly F****** Wurly - The one chocolate bar that has a somewhat similar taste over here in NA but it's still not as good, this is the childhood memories right here lads, chocolate for days in this bad boy.

Honorable mentions:
    Yorkie - It's not for girls the advert said, I was never a huge fan of Yorkie but it's just block after block of chocolate, their was something not quite smooth enough about it for me but I know a lot who love it.
    Flake - I'm sorry flake, you're just too messy, otherwise you'd be near the top.
    Wispa - I feel genuinely hurt not fitting this bad boy onto the top 5, imagine an aero bar but it's a block of chocolate and 10x nicer.
    Picnic - I hate nuts, but if you like nuts then this is your go to.

British Choco > North American Choco, all day, any day. PLEASE GO TO YOUR LOCAL BRITISH STORE AND TRY ALL THESE.
    If it tastes that much different, after reading your post, I am not sure how much I'd like it much like you don't like chocolate over in NA. If it's chocoloate, I'll try it but not sure I will rush out to look for it.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."