Thread: [Signed] Kahun Signs with Oilers

Dobber Sports Icon

Default [Signed] Kahun Signs with Oilers

Leon Draisaitl finally gets his wish. More than two years after recommending the Oilers sign Dominik Kahun as a free agent (after the 2018 Olympics), Leon Draisaitl finally convinced the Oilers GM to make a contract happen. Kahun and Draisaitl played on different teams in their U16 league and combined for almost 400 points (in a 30 game schedule). "They subsequently joined forces over ten times on various German national sides from 2010-19, from U-16 and U-17 (once each), U-18 and U-20 (twice each), the last four World Hockey Championships, and the Olympic Games qualifying tournament. Frequently they have been linemates." (thank you Bruce McCurdy from Cult of Hockey)

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/h...ut-to-find-out

Kahun is going to start the season as Draisaitl's left winger. This is a given since the two of them have played extremely well together in the past. This also means that McDavid gets RNH. The Oilers suddenly have one of the best top 9 forward groups in the NHL. It remains to be seen what their d and goaltending can get done.

Terms of the deal are not yet official but it sounds like 1 year at $975,000.

My early prediction for Oiler lines:

RNH - McDavid - Archibald
    Kahun - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
    Neal - Turris - Puljujarvi
    Nygard - Haas - Kassian

I think Kassian is available if any team will take on his salary. I also think Chiasson and Khaira would be moved if anyone wants them.

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: [Signed] Kahun Signs with Oilers

I love this signing. Left wing has been a sore spot for a while in Edmonton.

Wheres Tyler Ennis in your lineup?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Sage

This is a very good signing. Kahun is a sneaky good player. It is surprising that he has bounced around like he has.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    This is a very good signing. Kahun is a sneaky good player. It is surprising that he has bounced around like he has.
    One thing I like about what Holland has done so far this off-season is he's brought in Turris, Kahun AND Ennis for the cost of Athanasiou's QO.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Stud

In the middle section of an inaugural draft (player 180 next), guess who just moved to the top of my queue...?
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    One thing I like about what Holland has done so far this off-season is he's brought in Turris, Kahun AND Ennis for the cost of Athanasiou's QO.
    Great point Axe!

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I love this signing. Left wing has been a sore spot for a while in Edmonton.

Where's Tyler Ennis in your lineup?
    Good question. He should be there somewhere. Ennis will fit in somewhere on the 3rd or 4th line. The Oilers should be trading a winger for a pick/prospect. Suddenly, the Oilers have a very deep forward group. There's a bunch of question marks but I like the options available now.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    Good question. He should be there somewhere. Ennis will fit in somewhere on the 3rd or 4th line. The Oilers should be trading a winger for a pick/prospect. Suddenly, the Oilers have a very deep forward group. There's a bunch of question marks but I like the options available now.
    I think we're going to see a one-off year long trend of where teams add extra depth due to the expected mega-compressed schedule
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Padawan

My guess at the line:

Nuge - McDavid - Kassian
    Ennis - Turris - Puljujarvi
    Neal - Khaira - Archibald

Nygard, Haas, Chiasson as extras

Notes: Kassian will be given first chance at top line but depend on Puljujarvi could be swapped. Nuge and Kahun could also be swapped since the Nuge-Drai-Yamo line was so deadly last year.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by joeb323 View Post
    My guess at the line:

Nuge - McDavid - Kassian

Notes: Kassian will be given first chance at top line but depend on Puljujarvi could be swapped. Nuge and Kahun could also be swapped since the Nuge-Drai-Yamo line was so deadly last year.
    I'd agree with this. If we could only find a way to get Khaira out of there. Haas as 4C??

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Brad View Post
    In the middle section of an inaugural draft (player 180 next), guess who just moved to the top of my queue...?
    I grabbed him at 567 in our inaugural dynasty cap league draft! This thread, and him signing for about $2.5 mil less than I was expecting, is making me a very happy camper.
    Ice Cap

Dynasty, 32 team cap league (1:1 NHL Cap/Floor), H2H weekly, points (G: 1 / A: 1 / Blks: 0.1 / HTS: 0.1 / SOG: 0.1 / W: 1 / SO: 1 / SV: 0.05)
    Start 12 F, 6 D, 1 G, 4 Bench, 27 Minors/Prospects

Roster

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by joeb323 View Post
    My guess at the line:

Nuge - McDavid - Kassian

I this is what might happen too.

As someone who drafted Yamamoto at #12 ahead of Necas, I watch the Oilers fairly closely. I understand that it seems like a given that Kahun will play with Dre, them being old buddies and all, but at $975k the Oilers don't have that much invested and hence he may have a short leash and could just as easily end up in the bottom 6. Also, we know that the Oilers want RNH to play with McDavid, but that backfired in the playoffs when they moved Ennis down to play with Dre and Yama which severely curtailed that line's effectiveness. Dre is obviously an offensive stud, but an effective two-way player he is not and RNH played that role on that line. You may end up with the same result by replacing Ennis with Kahun on the playoff version of Dre's line.

If they decide that the team is better overall with RNH back with Dre, and Ennis back alongside McDavid and Kassian, that puts Kahun on third line. Or, stay with me here, if Kahun does work well with Dre and Yama, they could put RNH alongside Turris and Puljujarvi.

Dobber Sports Genius

MY GUESS

Nuge - McDavid - Puljujarvi
    Ennis - Turris - Neal
    Archibald - Khaira - Kassian

I believe that Kahun and Draisaitl will be paired up at the beginning of the season and left together to sink or swim. You have to keep your star player happy. I think that Puljujarvi is going to be stapled to McDavid. This is going to leave two spots in the top six open for Nuge, Yamamoto, Ennis, Neal, and/or Kassian. Nuge has an inside track as Turris is a guy that fits a 3rd line role more than Nuge. That leaves Ennis/Neal/Yamamoto/Kassian auditioning for one spot. I would imagine that these four guys rotate in and out of the top six depending on who gels the best with Turris on the third line.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"