Thread: Fun Bold Prediction

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Fun Bold Prediction

The Buffalo Sabres win the 2021 Stanley Cup!

I know some will think this is crazy talk but hear me out! Buffalo's young guns just took short-term deals at very reasonable cap hits. Reinhart 5.2mil, Olofsson 3.05Mil, Staal is only 3.25mil, and Hall just signed that nice 8mil contract. Leaves them with just under 4.65mil and one roster spot to fill with a league minimum F. I dont think they are done yet either!

Before the season starts I think they trade for Fleury. No way Vegas wants to pay 12mil+ in net. Something along the lines of Ullmark+Montour. Throw in whatever picks or prospects you want to call it an even trade. Dislike that trade, make up your own for Fleury. Fleury is a great starter for two years as Luukkonen develops. Vegas takes on a bit of Fleury's salary and Buffalo then signs Vatanen to replace Montour and give themselves a solid top 5 in Dahlin, Risto, Vatanen, McCabe and Miller. They have two mega elite Fs and will need line 1 and 2 to do a lot of the work like COL.

Very bold prediction but I think Buffalo will use COVID to put together a one year run team. Other teams are dropping internal revenues and Buffalo could take advantage by spending to the max. If they potentially lose money as an organization in 2020-21 it might be worth it longterm based off the prediction that a winning season increases their fan base, sales and attendance for the foreseeable future.

What bold predictions do you have for the 2020-21 season? Just a fun idea, not meant to be taken too seriously.

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Re: Fun Bold Prediction

Fleury has a 10-team no trade list and Buffalo probably takes up 1/3 of that. I'd love to see Buffalo get their act together though.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

I love the brass danglers it takes to make this prediction. Props! I mean who picked St.Louis the year they won! Well laid out argument! Rep Red36

Dobber Sports Jedi

Even adding Vatanen & MAF. This teams is so utterly flawed they won't be able to complete.
    They still have to face Tor - Bos - TB just to make the playoffs.

Some would say Mtl is improved and ahead of them as well.

I'm more of the opinion Reinhart, Olofsson & Hall are simply using short term deals in buffalo as leverage to build up a bigger payday next season.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

No love for poor ullmark. I think if buffalo is to stand a chance then they will need Ullmark. Hes better than hes been given credit for. Bold prediction indeed good sir! But a fun one for sure.

The Great One

Here are a few...
    Boston is not a playoff team. Their age, internal issues (Rask and their general lack of class as an organization), and lack of off-season moves catch up to them.
    Montreal is a playoff team - particularly if there is a Canadian division - and they don't have to fight in the Atlantic for a spot. Either way I think they're in.
    Arizona gets demoted to the AHL or possibly the ECHL because they are an utter crap organization.
    Max Domi and Torts is a match made in heaven. Torts turns Domi into a Selke finalist.
    Neither Bobrovsky nor Binnington regain the starting jobs they lost in the playoffs.
    The Ottawa Senators are among the league leaders (top 5) in goals scored. They are also among the league leaders (top 3) in goals allowed.
    For whatever reason MAF ends up with more starts in Vegas than Lehner does.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Titan

Buffalo and the NY Rangers both make the playoffs in the East, LA surprises in the West.
    I agree that Buffalo will be better, all they need now is some goaltending, and we know how random that can be. The Rangers have the goaltending, and if they acquire one more solid defence man (or promote one of their many prospects that could float, then they have a solidly deep roster. I think either Strome or Grandlund is handed the C2 job.

I also agree with Boston missing. Without Marchand and Pasta to start the year, and with Bergeron/Krejci always hurt, I think they have trouble getting started and they never find their groove.

Rossi, Fiala, and Kaprizov team up to each pace for over a point per game but Minnesota's goaltending tandem is again the worst in the league and they finish bottom three.
    Pretty self explanatory.

Dahlin paces for 90 points and leads the league for defensemen. He's ready to pop and there are even more offensive weapons there now.

Jack Campbell starts more games than Frederik Andersen - on merit. Andersen was shopped this summer so they're ready to move on. Campbell shows he can be a starter and Toronto decides to ride him 60% of the time.

I'll come up with a few more for the start of the season.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post

Dahlin paces for 90 points and leads the league for defensemen. He's ready to pop and there are even more offensive weapons there now.
    Not bold enough.. its gonna happen..

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by GinFizz View Post
    Not bold enough.. its gonna happen..
    I was going to say 100, but it is Buffalo after all... haha
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Jedi

Well... since this is turning into a bold prediction thread:

There will be 3 - 60 goal scorers and none are named Ovechkin - Eichel, Matthews, Guentzel
    There will be 2 teams with 3 100 point players - Edm (RNH, Drais, McD) & Tor (Tavares, Marner, Matthews)
    Vancouver trades Loui Eriksson

Domi doubles Anderson in points
    Dreidger starts more games than Bobrovsky

LA & Chi sneak into the playoffs and pull off a shocker conference final repeat match-up of years past

Crosby wins the scoring title

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Dreidger starts more games than Bobrovsky

LA & Chi sneak into the playoffs and pull off a shocker conference final repeat match-up of years past
    I'm 100% on board with Dreidger and the LA half of your projection.

LA on the basis of their youth stepping up on forward, an underrated D core, getting to pick on ANA, SJ, and ARZ in their division/conference (likely due to the realignment for the year) and the fact that Cal Petersen is ready to take the starter's load.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I'm 100% on board with Dreidger and the LA half of your projection.

LA on the basis of their youth stepping up on forward, an underrated D core, getting to pick on ANA, SJ, and ARZ in their division/conference (likely due to the realignment for the year) and the fact that Cal Petersen is ready to take the starter's load.
    Just seemed too good fun to not throw a Chi-LA rematch into the mix.

Dobber Sports Guru

+5000 after the Hall signing. If you really believe, throw down a wager now!
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Genius

FINAL FOUR
    This years final four will feature Florida and Nashville.

Florida
    Coach Q's troops will finally get it. The youth movement shall have its successes. Ekblad shall continue to show his upward form from last year. Bob will get it together, and there is enough star power already on board. Soderberg will prove a serviceable third line leader for $1M.

Nashville
    The extra talent that has been added up front over recent years, will finally see the club boasting steady first and second lines, with each boasting a 70 pointer. Kunin will prove ready as a third line leader with ?Haula, at push and shove time. Another late signing bottom six vet will round out the squad with the maturing Saros finally ready to lead the back end.

Shesterkin will run away with the Calder voting, with Lafreniere proving the real deal and placing a steady 2nd.

It all comes together - McDavid will pace all scorers winning with 135 points.

Sophmore jinx - Quinn Hughes, finishing on a respectable 45 point pace.

Bounce back - Jack Hughes, connecting for 62 points.

Crash & Burn Teams - Boston (blueline struggles, injuries to top 6), Dallas (massive regular season and playoff overachievement)

Dobber Sports Stud

Miro Heiskanen wins the Norris

Detroit doubles their win total

Calgary plays Philly in the finals
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.