Thread: Goalie prospect Mikhail Berdin

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Goalie prospect Mikhail Berdin

Hey guys what are your thoughts on this goalie prospect. He is posting some sweet khl numbers and even though Hellebyuck is the guy in Winnipeg, I like what Berdin can bring to the table. Maybe he can become a strong starter in the future with another team. Thoughts?

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: Goalie prospect Mikhail Berdin

Quote Originally Posted by Elpidio1975 View Post
    Hey guys what are your thoughts on this goalie prospect. He is posting some sweet khl numbers and even though Hellebyuck is the guy in Winnipeg, I like what Berdin can bring to the table. Maybe he can become a strong starter in the future with another team. Thoughts?
    Ya, I've been holding for a year on him with those hopes. Goaltending seems to be such a crap shoot to me, with only the highly touted goalies being the ones who really make it as expected, and even then, it sometimes takes forever (ie. Markstrom). Worth watching and holding if you have space, but it just seems so random I wouldn't bank on anything.

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Goalie prospect Mikhail Berdin

Still pretty early to say how Berdin will shake out. He's starting for SKA in the KHL, so he's in a plum position. But his short-season sample is middle of the pack for the KHL, 2.52 GAA and .917 save percentage. He's 6'2 and 183 lbs, so he still needs to fill out. He's definitely not performing to the level of other Euro comparables. Shestyorkin's KHL numbers on the same SKA team were sub 2.00 GAA and better than .930 save percentage while being younger than Berdin is now.

With Hellebyuck ensconced in WPG, you're looking at Berdin hopefully becoming an NHL backup with the Jets and then when his contract runs up, perhaps he gets a starters/1A chance with another team. That'll take some years, so I wouldn't latch onto him now, depending on league size.