Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Coyotes won't renounce draft pick who bullied Black, disabled teen

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: Coyotes won't renounce draft pick who bullied Black, disabled teen

Pretty much par for the course in hockey culture, particularly at the Jr level. If every kid who was a dickhead was blackballed there wouldn't be a lot of NHL players left to play.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Hilarious that some people - who claim they have children no less - try to hand waive this away as "kids being kids" or "kids doing dumb things".

A 14 year old physically assaulting a mentally impaired child and forcing them to eat out of toilets is not a kid doing something stupid because they are young. That's a person that knows exactly what they are doing, exactly how wrong and unacceptable it is, and simply not caring.

Dobber Sports Ninja

You're absolutely correct. It's disgusting. It's also rampant in minor hockey and jr hockey.

Dobber Sports Padawan

^ This is based on what, medically speaking? Use facts.

Dobber Sports Padawan

So 14 year olds who bully like this are finished ? Not entitled to life after they bully.
    That's the message here.

Gotcha.

Dobber Sports Ninja

No, according to the NHL, you are allowed to do this and be rewarded with a potential NHL career.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Just from yesterday.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ideo-1.5775894

This stuff happens all the time in minor and junior hockey. It's a part of the culture.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Auston'sWilly View Post
    So 14 year olds who bully like this are finished ? Not entitled to life after they bully.
    That's the message here.

Gotcha.
    Do you have kids?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Great One

This stuff makes me sick. I grew up playing a competitive sport (not hockey) and this type of behavior was wide-spread, and it seems like it still is today. Not much has changed, unfortunately.

There's a player in the NHL right now who killed someone doing "boys being boys" shit before he was drafted, and he has gone to make millions of dollars in the NHL while the family of the boy who was killed is left with nothing but memories.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Just from yesterday.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ideo-1.5775894

This stuff happens all the time in minor and junior hockey. It's a part of the culture.
    seems to me like the message isnt being heard.

Regarding this kid, his attitude will limit his success, but overall it would have been a good gesture to see the NHL come together and agree to not draft this kid. A real step forward in fixing the “systemic issues”.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Auston'sWilly View Post
    That's the message here.

Gotcha.
    Are you really defending this kid? What he did...like only 3 years ago...was so racist and terrible. You think that just goes away? That kind of behavior doesnt just disappear, especially given the apparent lack of remorse he has shown since. If ever there was a case for the nhl to make an example of, this would be it. How bad does it need to be before the perpetrator faces some actual repercussions?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Napoleon23 View Post
    Are you really defending this kid? What he did...like only 3 years ago...was so racist and terrible. You think that just goes away? That kind of behavior doesnt just disappear, especially given the apparent lack of remorse he has shown since. If ever there was a case for the nhl to make an example of, this would be it. How bad does it need to be before the perpetrator faces some actual repercussions?
    Oh AW has provided lots of examples where he feels perpetrators should be punished, often believing no mercy should be shown and they “get what they deserve”. There’s just something whi- erm different about this case.

Dobber Sports Stud

Its not like this was a secret but its the top story over at the fishwrap aka NY Post

https://nypost.com/2020/10/26/coyote...led-classmate/

There is also a link to the Arizona fishwrap

https://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...go/3735555001/

Hopefully both kids can make something mutually beneficial come out of this unfortunate situation
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Oh AW has provided lots of examples where he feels perpetrators should be punished, often believing no mercy should be shown and they “get what they deserve”. There’s just something whi- erm different about this case.
    I see what you did there Mr. Taylor!

Dobber Sports Titan

I had a long response typed out on my cell, posted it, hit refresh, and it wasn't there...so I'll be keeping this shorter.

I take back what I said about this kid. I feel like he's a POS, or had parenting that didn't care about others and it rubbed off on Miller. He's apparently been assaulting/bullying this kid since grade 2. If the parents are saying he's been bullied since grade 2, I feel like there would be incidences prior to this one that would have been brought up.

Should Miller have his career ripped from him for what he's done? I dunno, people have been fired for that GHRITP bullpoop stunt, and everyone is ok with that. I would have removed this guy from our board and never draft him, even if he was a 2nd round talent and it was the 7th round. There's total character question here that shows he doesn't care about others and correcting mistakes. As a social aspect, this is even worse. The ripple effect this may cause isn't worth having him around in my eyes (and a lot of GMs).

No way would I want him in my organization, unless it was shown he can make efforts to correct his past issues. I'd revisit him as an undrafted player if he had gone out of his way, unprompted, to try and correct it. If he didn't, I'd contact him myself as a GM and tell him he's got to "grow up" and he's missed an opportunity at the NHL because of what he's done.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll