Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Coyotes won't renounce draft pick who bullied Black, disabled teen

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Coyotes won't renounce draft pick who bullied Black, disabled teen

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/20...-disabled-teen

I'm not exactly sure why this story is surfacing again today, given the writer concedes the organization knew about the bullying history prior to drafting the kid.
    i.e. They're not going to draft someone and then "renounce" him over something they knew about when they drafted him.
    That would be silly, as they'd be knowingly wasting a draft pick.

Having said that:
    1) Should they not have drafted him? Should they renounce him and waste the pick, acknowledging that they are changing their minds and they made a mistake?
    or
    2) Should they do what they're doing and make Miller atone for his past behavior by doing extra community service for bullied youth?
    Last edited by Auston'sWilly; October 26, 2020 at 3:17 PM. Reason: combine original 1 and 2, they're basically the same thing

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Coyotes won't renounce draft pick who bullied Black, disabled teen

He was charged and sentenced to 25hrs community service, he did everything legal wise he had to. The only thing would be character question. He never apologized personally to the poor kid he bullied. The other kid who was charged did (broke down in tears while apologizing) but Miller never apologized in person.

Is it bad this happened? Yes. Should the Coyotes draft him? Organizational decision. Even if you like Miller as a player, the social views this brings up is not worth it for me. For a 4th round pick, I would be ok with the possibility I'm missing out on the next 0.1% chance he'd be a franchise changer.

1. Should they not have drafted him? Organizational choice. Should they renounce it? They've done nothing wrong legal wise.
    2. He was charged and the penalty was 25hrs community service I think, I don't think it's the organization making him do it??
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Ninja

Wow, I hadn't heard this story. It's an interesting one for sure, and I can definitely see both sides of it.

On one hand, you have a little shithead who made someone's life hell and displayed terrible character.

On the other, you have an opportunity to help that person grow as an individual and perhaps change the person for the better.

It really just comes down to the age old question of "can people really change?" I've been fortunate and unfortunate enough to know both kinds of people - the ones who grow out of it and become less ignorant and strive to do better, and the ones who just continue being shitheads and probably won't change/will continue to pass it on to their kids. It's a really interesting debate. Personally, if I were running an organization, I probably wouldn't go anywhere near someone with this kind of history, but that's not to say that my opinion is the right one either, because as mentioned it's a potentially lost opportunity to change a life and the lives of those around them.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Grand Master

J.D. Burke @JDylanBurke

I reported on this story for @EPRinkside a little while back.

Ultimately, it was the reason we removed Mitchell Miller from our board, even though we came to view him as a second-round calibre talent.
    J.D. Burke @JDylanBurke 2h

Some of the teams I spoke with going into the draft had some pretty not great things to say about Miller and the way he represented himself.

Concerns that neither Miller nor his representation were willing to be forthright or engage in this topic were routine.
    J.D. Burke @JDylanBurke 2h

I made numerous efforts to talk with Miller’s camp myself, and let’s just say that I got absolutely nowhere — I’ll leave it at that.

The teams who did speak with Miller were... not impressed. Many got the sense he felt no remorse for the incident in question. Not good!
    I have thoughts.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Interesting for sure.
    I don't think there's a right or wrong answer to this one.

Dobber Sports Titan

There might not necessarily be one right answer here, but if he don't apologize, show some remorse/growth, then I don't see how someone would willfully want to associate themselves with him. If he can take the first step to send letters to each of the 31 NHL teams about it then he can take the simpler and clearer step to formally apologize to the victim.

The ball is in his court on this, and in the meantime it just has to not be swept under the rug.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Padawan

My biggest pause in this story is that he was 14 (or younger) when the incidents happened.
    In general, one should avoid rushing to judgement (easier to say/write than do, I know), but I think it's especially important when we're talking about punishing an adult for something he did when he was a kid.

Salim Nadim Valji @salimvalji

"Meyer-Crothers, also 18 & who now lives in Detroit, said Miller had taunted him for years, constantly calling him "brownie" and the "N-word," while repeatedly hitting him while growing up in the Toledo suburb…Miller repeatedly used the "N-word" in referring to Meyer-Crothers."

Important to note that Arizona Coyotes CEO Xavier Gutierrez was named to the NHL's Executive Inclusion Council.

New owner Alex Meruelo was lauded by league for being first Latin-American owner…I believe Meruelo is first visible minority majority owner of NHL team too.

Also important:

According to the story, Coyotes draft pick Mitchell Miller never personally apologized to Isaiah Meyer-Crothers, who he made eat candy out of a urinal & whose head he smashed against a brick wall, & Arizona Coyotes didn't reach out to the Meyer-Crothers family.
    Just kids being kids right?

Dobber Sports Padawan

Dobber Sports Jedi

Perhaps Gutierrez sees this as an opportunity to push change forward.

Kid or no kid, entering pro-hockey you become a role model for today's and tomorrows kids. He will need to address these comments sooner rather than later in one form or another.

Whether it's on or off the ice.

I'm imagining the 1st time he lines up against Evander Kane without having publicly address and apologized for this behaviour.

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps Gutierrez sees this as an opportunity to push change forward.

Kid or no kid, entering pro-hockey you become a role model for today's and tomorrows kids. He will need to address these comments sooner rather than later in one form or another.

Whether it's on or off the ice.

I'm imagining the 1st time he lines up against Evander Kane without having publicly address and apologized for this behaviour.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Auston'sWilly View Post
    My biggest pause in this story is that he was 14 (or younger) when the incidents happened.
    In general, one should avoid rushing to judgement (easier to say/write than do, I know), but I think it's especially important when we're talking about punishing an adult for something he did when he was a kid.
    I'm pretty sure you and I both knew that this was not acceptable when we were fourteen. However, we can't change the past. That doesn't mean he can't be remorseful and make positive choices in the present and future. But nothing is changing.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Yea I don't believe any of that gibberish nor do I ascribe any meaning to it.

The Great One

He is still a kid. 14 was what, 3 or 4 years ago? Sounds like he's a dick and his family have those tendencies too. One of those "I'm really good at hockey so I don't need to be a decent human" things. Pass.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I'm pretty sure you and I both knew that this was not acceptable when we were fourteen. However, we can't change the past. That doesn't mean he can't be remorseful and make positive choices in the present and future. But nothing is changing.
    I'm sorry - what was the negative rep for exactly ?
    14-year-olds do dumb things.
    Nobody said or wrote that it was acceptable.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    He is still a kid. 14 was what, 3 or 4 years ago? Sounds like he's a dick and his family have those tendencies too. One of those "I'm really good at hockey so I don't need to be a decent human" things. Pass.
    100% agree. I gotta say that I've lost a bit more respect for an organization I was already having a hard time respecting.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98