Thread: [SIGNED] Calgary inks trio of depth players

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default [SIGNED] Calgary inks trio of depth players

Apparently Calgary is just signing any player who will accept a league minimum contract. Bold strategy.

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/flam...vo/c-319513832

Dominik Simon, 1 year @ $700k

Nikita Nesterov, 1 year @ $700k

Josh Leivo, 1 year @ $875k

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: [SIGNED] Calgary inks trio of depth players

I like the Leivo signing alot for Calgary, finally add a right-shot, who can play with some sandpaper. Will hold down a spot on the fourth line but can also play higher up in the lineup when necessary.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I mean, I like these signings. Signing a bunch of younger players with NHL experience to one year, league minimum/close to league minimum contracts is mostly good. It will leave those prospects who aren't quite ready for the NHL time to develop in the minors. If they show they are ready, they can bury (or they may have to waive) these newly signed players. I think Simon is a sneaky good signing and I like Leivo as well. Don't know enough about Nesterov to comment on, but overall, I think the Flames did pretty good here.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Grand Master

To be clear, I don’t hate any of the signings. In an ideal scenario, they push worse players down the rotation. Depth is good. Just seems like they’re doing about one a day here.

Dobber Sports Deity

I've always been a big Leivo fan and felt he never got a fair shake to play his game. Injuries certainly hasn't helped either. I hope he finally gets it together in Calgary, but not when they are playing against Edmonton.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ninja

Pretty low risk moves with some chance of good payout. Leivo was pretty good for the Canucks.

Lol they're literally just signing the Canucks' roster eh? It makes them better for sure in the short-term.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Padawan

Josh Leivo has always been a mystery to me.
    I felt he wasn't treated fairly by Babcock and the Leafs (too many healthy scratches to count) despite always playing well when given the chance.
    And yet, he didn't light up the world when playing for the Nucks, so maybe he just isn't as good as I thought he was.

Low risk signing by the Flames though.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Leivo's intensity dies in the defensive zone. Great on the forecheck, but lackadaisical on the backcheck. A good depth option for Cgy - but can see a fair amount of healthy scratches in his future.

That makes 3 Canucks Cgy has signed. If that doesn't get Van fans riled up about a division rival.. I'm not sure what else will?

Nesterov IMO has the most value of the 3 signings. He could translate into a good depth D signing & be beneficial on the PK.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post

Nesterov IMO has the most value of the 3 signings. He could translate into a good depth D signing & be beneficial on the PK.
    This.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch