Thread: Rookie Draft - Banger League

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Rookie Draft - Banger League

Hi all,

My "rookie" draft will come up soon. It includes current draft crop plus any players from previous drafts who weren't drafted (most of the big names are gone).

With my first pick I'll take one of the studs. For later picks, does anyone have some names of players who will lend themselves to multicat format - ie guys who excel in Hits, Blocks, PIMs?

Brady was the 3rd most valuable player in my league last season, so another one of him would be great, but seriously if you see a guy with 150 hit/block or 100 PIM potential I would be keen to hear.

Thanks

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Rookie Draft - Banger League

dont draft hits and blocks ...draft best offensive talent available. As for multi cat guys...they take as long to develop as goalies and at least half of them dont make it..

draft guy taht you think could surprise and earn some hype..you can then flip him for bit more established multicat guy...u can get Jordan Greenway for example for decent prospect with some hype...takes 5 days to develop Jordan Greenway...
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post
    dont draft hits and blocks ...draft best offensive talent available. As for multi cat guys...they take as long to develop as goalies and at least half of them dont make it..

draft guy taht you think could surprise and earn some hype..you can then flip him for bit more established multicat guy...u can get Jordan Greenway for example for decent prospect with some hype...takes 5 days to develop Jordan Greenway...
    Thanks. Im about 15 years into this league and the guys who have won the most cups have always drafted multicat players. In my league it is easy enough to find a 55 point guy, but not a multicat guy. I agree it doesn't always pan out, but when it does it can mean winning a title.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Drafting for MC. often ends up with Nick Ritchie's & Lawson Crouse's rather than W. Nylanders and Brayden Points.

You can trade a Nylander type prospect in a deal to get an emerging MC stud. Maybe not one as astute as Brady... but a PLD type - you can usually work a deal.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Drafting for MC. often ends up with Nick Ritchie's & Lawson Crouse's rather than W. Nylanders and Brayden Points.

You can trade a Nylander type prospect in a deal to get an emerging MC stud. Maybe not one as astute as Brady... but a PLD type - you can usually work a deal.
    Thanks for your suggestion. However, thats not true in my league as I articulated above. I wasn't asking for the merits of drafting banger type players, I was asking for some suggestions of young players to scout seeing as Im abroad and dont get as much info as people in NA and Europe.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Holloway is the highest ranked multi cat guy this year

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Trubittisky View Post
    Holloway is the highest ranked multi cat guy this year
    Thanks, nice tip. Even better for me, looks like he is a while away from NHL as he is at College and I can stash him.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Ridly Greig is another to look at.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Ozzy Weisblatt

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Not that he'll put up tons of points, but Guhle could be a HIT, BLK + peripheral stuffer with his type of game. He may not be as far of from the NHL as the others either. Nice to have those guys on D so you can offset the skill guys that you do have up front.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

My take on this is to try and find guy who have some PIM history, as other stats are not widely available for all leagues. I will basically move the multi-cat guys up a bit. I use Elite Prospects as a resource, but I havent' really looked at this years crop heavily, as I'm drafting last in both leagues.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Titan

Aside from the names listed above, I have heard that this draft is especially weak in the more physical types, and a lot heavier in skill. Take that as you will.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Aside from the names listed above, I have heard that this draft is especially weak in the more physical types, and a lot heavier in skill. Take that as you will.
    This is part of the reason I've been higher on Greig in Multi-cat leagues than most. He seems to be a nice blend of skill and intangibles, more of a pest than a power-forward. He was also one of the youngest in the draft so there's plenty of room to grow and he likes to shoot. If you're looking for a pure power-forward there's also Luke Tuch.

Locked On Senators@SensCentral

Ridly Greig went pointless in three straight games between Dec. 17-28.
    After that:
    25 GP
    15 G
    18 A
    33 PTS
    +14
    52 PIMs
    89 SOG

Tell me again how you're so certain one of the youngest players in this years class doesn't have much offensive upside... #2020NHLDraft

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Jake Neighbours