Thread: Yegor Chinakhov

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Yegor Chinakhov

I'd like to hear your thoughts and expectations for Chinakhov.
    At first, as the draft was going on, I did not know him.
    The fact he got picked up 21st overall by the Blue Jackets shook me since other players with high upside were still available at that spot.
    I watched highlights videos of him and I was impressed with what I saw.
    Seem to have the upside to be a high-level goal scorer, has great offensive tools.
    The only downside seem to be his bad defensive game.
    What could be his ceiling? Any different thoughts/opinion?
    Team-1
    F: MacKinnon, Panarin, Marner, Pettersson, Debrincat, Seguin, Laine, Pacioretty, e.Lindholm, Nugent-Hopkins, Burakovsky, Tarasenko, Marchessault (13 counting)
    Olofsson, W.Karlsson, Yamamoto, Denisenko, McMichael, Lapierre, Jenik, Chinakhov

D: Josi, Makar, McAvoy, Dahlin, Ellis (5 counting)
    J.Ahcan

G: Hart, Markstrom (2 counting)
    Gibson
    Points only, No salary cap, 1pt/goal, 1pt/assist, 2pts for a goalie W, +3 points for a shutout, 1pt for an overtime L.

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Yegor Chinakhov

He's a year older than everyone else at the top end of the draft, and started off hot this year. His ceiling probably isn't as high as most other first rounders, however he should have a decent NHL floor.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Deity

Kekalainen had a 1st round pick and no 2nd round pick. He clearly wanted this player for whatever reason. Many pundits figured he was a late 2nd/early 3rd type of player but Jarmo dances to the beat of his own drum. As I say, he clearly wanted him and didnt want to take a chance on him being there for their 3rd round pick.

If you like someone, take him. That seems to be the thought here for Jarmo drafting him where he did.

I'd love to say I have some special info on him but you'll be able to find the exact same stuff on him on Google that I would. He wasn't even on my radar on the first night, like most who were covering the draft. I think if you do a search here, you'll find some info on him.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Kekalainen had a 1st round pick and no 2nd round pick. He clearly wanted this player for whatever reason. Many pundits figured he was a late 2nd/early 3rd type of player but Jarmo dances to the beat of his own drum. As I say, he clearly wanted him and didnt want to take a chance on him being there for their 3rd round pick.

If you like someone, take him. That seems to be the thought here for Jarmo drafting him where he did.

I'd love to say I have some special info on him but you'll be able to find the exact same stuff on him on Google that I would. He wasn't even on my radar on the first night, like most who were covering the draft. I think if you do a search here, you'll find some info on him.
    lol i loved when they panned over to some experts who were going through their notes as fast as they could to find out who the hell just got drafted...
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Apprentice

«But Blue Jackets general manager Jarmo Kekalainen and his scouting staff were well aware of the 19-year-old sniper, having him listed in the top 10 on their draft board. So even though many analysts had the KHL winger as a mid- to late-round pick -- and the NHL's Central Scouting Bureau had him the No. 30-ranked international skater -- Kekalainen was more than comfortable making Chinakhov the team's latest first-round pick.»
    https://www.nhl.com/bluejackets/news/blue-jackets-excited-to-take-yegor-chinakhov-in-first-round/c-319336236

When I heard that Kekaelainen had him in his top-10 I thought it might've been a player who flew under the radar and might be a steal in the draft so that's why I wanted to see what you were thinking 'bout this guy considreing the fact that Jarmo seems to be doing great in drafts in general.
    Team-1
    F: MacKinnon, Panarin, Marner, Pettersson, Debrincat, Seguin, Laine, Pacioretty, e.Lindholm, Nugent-Hopkins, Burakovsky, Tarasenko, Marchessault (13 counting)
    Olofsson, W.Karlsson, Yamamoto, Denisenko, McMichael, Lapierre, Jenik, Chinakhov

J.Ahcan

Gibson
    Points only, No salary cap, 1pt/goal, 1pt/assist, 2pts for a goalie W, +3 points for a shutout, 1pt for an overtime L.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post

I've seen this argument a few times but we watched Calgary drop down from 19 to 24 and gained 2 x 3rd rd picks. CBJ should have done something similar at the very least and would have gotten Chinakov.

Oh well it was entertaining and he could prove all the pundits wrong
    20 Team Dynasty H2H League: Devils (Rebuild Mode)
    5th Year
    G=1.5, A=1, PPP=.25, SHP=.25, BLK=.1, HIT=.1, SOG=1, FOW=+.1, FOL=-.1, GA=-1, SV=+.1, SHO=4, W=3

C : Hischier, Horvat,
    W : Marner, P. Kane, Fiala
    D : Provorov, Bouchard
    G : Campbell, Francouz

Minors:
    C : Tomasino, Rossi, Khustnutdinov, Amirov, Stankoven,
    W : N. Robertson, Maccelli,
    D : Addison, Farrance, Morrow, Heinola, Rathbone
    G : Annunen, Thompson

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by tcat View Post
    I've seen this argument a few times but we watched Calgary drop down from 19 to 24 and gained 2 x 3rd rd picks. CBJ should have done something similar at the very least and would have gotten Chinakov.

I dont disagree with you but maybe, just maybe, Jarmo knew something we didn't. Maybe he honestly thought other GMs were in on him too. We really don't know the reason why he was drafted here instead of Kekalainen moving back. I also agree that it was fun watching the on-air personalities scramble.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by tcat View Post

I agree but there was apparently another team willing to draft him in the end of the first round so they might've moved up to get him, who knows.
    But yeah, future will tell if it was a good pick up at that spot
    Team-1

J.Ahcan

Gibson

Dobber Sports Initiate

He can become a good player or the biggest reach of all-time
    31 TEAMS keep all multi-cat (lot of them) dynasty
    Offensive stats : Goals, Assist , PPP, PPTOI, SOG...
    Defensive stats : PKTOI, BLKS, TakeAway, Giveaway...
    (basically best NHL player)

Dobber Sports Pro

I heard Bob Hartley (his coach) on the radio, that Chinakhov’s wrist shot when he’s full speed is elite. He said the last player he saw doing this was Joe Sakic. I know he’s cheering for his player but that’s a nice comparison. The potential is definitely there. Respect to the Blue Jackets on this one, it takes big cojones to make that kind of reach!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Dover View Post
    I heard Bob Hartley (his coach) on the radio, that Chinakhov’s wrist shot when he’s full speed is elite. He said the last player he saw doing this was Joe Sakic. I know he’s cheering for his player but that’s a nice comparison. The potential is definitely there. Respect to the Blue Jackets on this one, it takes big cojones to make that kind of reach!
    Wow! That's interesting!
    Team-1

J.Ahcan

Gibson

Dobber Sports Veteran

Rookie of the month in KHL, September, October,...Is that a sign he is pretty good ? Just surprised he seems to arrive one year after the other players of his year...
    1) 16 teams full keeper H2H. Start 9F, 4D, 1G, 2 Championships
    pts: (D : 7 pts G /5 pts A), (F : 5pts G /3 pts A), (G : 10 pts W / 5 pts SO), (D/F : 1 pt +/-, 0.5 pts PIM, 0.1 FOW, 0.2 Hits, 0.3 pts SOG, PP and SH).

Forward : Aho, Svechnikov, PLDubois, Giroux, Couture, Wheeler, Cozens, Karlsson, Vrana, Anderson,​Greenway,

Defenses : Dahlin, Fox, Doughty, Toews, , Slavin, Miller

Goalies : Oettinger, Vanecek, Bobrovsky

Prospects : Dostal, Schmid, Chinakhov, Bordeleau, Ostlund, Brindley, Gulyayev

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Dover View Post
    let's be clear he's comparing Chinakhov's wrist shot at full speed to Sakic's. Not the full player Chinakov to the full player that was Sakic.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by berni67 View Post
    Rookie of the month in KHL, September, October,...Is that a sign he is pretty good ? Just surprised he seems to arrive one year after the other players of his year...
    Some kids mature later than others. Not at all surprising. People thought Kekalainen was crazy for taking PLD over Puljujarvi at the time...
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch