Thread: Charlie McAvoy

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Charlie McAvoy

Honest opinions on him? I'm getting a lot of enquiries in my WD (Hamilton) league below, 16 teams and I'm very much rebuilding right now (with the intention of being competitive in the 2021/22 or 22/23 season. I had plans to go all out for a big pick or two in the 2022 draft with the three-headed monster and with 2022 picks opening up soon I'm getting a lot of bites on McAvoy for 2022 1st rounds +. What would you be looking for on the + side of things, if anything at all. I was looking to get rid in the off-season but with Krug leaving I think his value has risen a lot - but he hasn't really produced that well on the PP when given the chance, so I'm stuck in two minds.
    Team One (Mercenaries Of Mandalore) 24T Dynasty, 4LW/RW/C, 6D, 2G, 4B - G, A1, A2, PPG, PPA, SHP, SOG, FOW, FOL, TK, GV, HIT, BLK, FT, ||| W, L, GA, SV, SHO, A

Team Two (Hamilton Tigers) 16T Dynasty - 3LW/RW/C, 6D, 2G, 6B - G, A, PPP, SHP, SOG, BLK, HIT, FOW| W, L, GA, SV, SHO, A

Click here for my teams (not up to date)

Links are too a google document.

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Re: Charlie McAvoy

I own him as well. Tough call what his ceiling is. I think his perceived value should be up but whether his actual value is remains to be seen

If you’re talking about being in a rebuild, with your cats, hes a guy I’d be pretty keen on keeping.

22 year old. Scored at 40 point pace the last two years with great peripheral stats. And with small PP time. If the bruins don’t add a D and he takes krugs minutes and does well I think we are talking about a Multi cat stud D here and he’s 22.

For me it boils down to the fact You’re basically gambling for a Top 3 pick 2 years down the road here and then gambling he pays immediate dividends for you. Youre trading a pretty established piece that can definitely help you with the timeline you stated. I’d personally prefer to gamble on mcavoy Progressing than gamble on the former.

You mentioned you have been offered a 2022 1st + for him. Can you give any examples of something you have been offered?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

His value depends on whether he, Grzelcyk, or somebody else is the primary PP defenseman. I'd probably hold for now. I think Grzelcyk is likely to win the job, but the hold may be tenuous.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Jedi

I would put him on the block. He has lots of value...

I'm not a fan. He has yet to really hit 1.5 SOG or more in a single season. he's closer to 1.2 SOG/gm. That's barely 98 over 82gm schedule.
    he's a great passer, and Marchand/Pasta/Bergy inflate his offensive numbers.

To me he's a 45pt guy heavy on assists. My D need to shoot, hit, block. he hits and blocks.

If you look at him a bit differently, perhaps you want to keep him. guys like boro & mcnabb usually have solid roster-value in MC leagues. They don't shoot.
    From that perspective McAvoy becomes a decently valued 5/6 Dman on a fantasy roster.

If he establishes himself as a 160 hit 160 block Dman that can give you 40+pts and 5-10 PPP - you can forgive the SOG issues (he was at 1.5 or Jake Gardiner level shooting last year).

He's no Cale Makar, Shea Weber, Dougie Hamilton...

Place him in a lower tier. If you start 6D he solidly fits on any roster.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Star

The play is to hold him and scrutinize those Boston beat writers and preseason game box scores (if any) for hints as to whether Grzelcyk or McAvoy is being given PP1 and then once it seems like there's a way its going to go, either hold if it isn't McAvoy or sell if it is. If McAvoy is given the PP1 job, whatever production he has will not last long term; it will last so far as Marchand/Pastrnak/Bergeron are playing together. McAvoy cannot be trusted to create offense, he only can only partially reflect the talent of those around him. If McAvoy doesn't get the PP1 job, then your fellow owners will sour on him and mentally put his value below its true level, making any deal ill-advised for you. His true value is what is happening now, more or less. He'll be a first pairing who contributes heartily in non-scoring categories and the occasional PP2 time. Which, as lucafen4 notes, is maybe only 5/6 Dman value, but still value nonetheless.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    I would put him on the block. He has lots of value...

I'm not a fan. He has yet to really hit 1.5 SOG or more in a single season. he's closer to 1.2 SOG/gm. That's barely 98 over 82gm schedule.
    he's a great passer, and Marchand/Pasta/Bergy inflate his offensive numbers.

To me he's a 45pt guy heavy on assists. My D need to shoot, hit, block. he hits and blocks.

If you look at him a bit differently, perhaps you want to keep him. guys like boro & mcnabb usually have solid roster-value in MC leagues. They don't shoot.
    From that perspective McAvoy becomes a decently valued 5/6 Dman on a fantasy roster.

If he establishes himself as a 160 hit 160 block Dman that can give you 40+pts and 5-10 PPP - you can forgive the SOG issues (he was at 1.5 or Jake Gardiner level shooting last year).

He's no Cale Makar, Shea Weber, Dougie Hamilton...

Place him in a lower tier. If you start 6D he solidly fits on any roster.
    I agree with a lot of points here.

I believe that he is fairly overrated for fantasy pools and on the trade market that could be a very good thing. Theres this expectation that he'll get the PP time though Gryz has gotten it in the past, kind of like Morrissy losing it to Pionk. Who saw that coming?

In multi-cat leagues he does have value for sure. Odds are you can get a very strong return for him and if you can go for it, though if the main piece is a 1st round pick 2 years from now I wouldn't bother moving him.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Icon

McAvoy is a 22 year old #1 dman. The chances of drafting a #1 dman with a first round pick in 2022 is not that high. McAvoy was a 40 point dman last season while playing behind Torey Krug. Krug is now gone. I believe McAvoy will get the job on PP1 but even if he doesn't, he's still going to be a very valuable dman in any multi-cat league.

A first round pick in 2022 is not going to help your fantasy team for at least 3 and likely 4 or 5 years.

Dobber Sports Star

It's often repeated on this forum that when weighing high-end scorers and more evenly-distributed multicat skaters, you shoot for points production and get your peripherals elsewhere. But for that plan to work you actually have to stop somewhere and accept having and using the multicat skater, lest you have 15 William Nylanders.

McAvoy is the person you take and use to provide peripherals. His first-pairing status gives you reliable icetime to accumulate the numbers you need. Even if he doesn't get PP1, he provides good PIM/Hits/Blocks while tossing in 30-40 points.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Glad I decided to keep him! Though I am getting offers again (not enough but potentially something to work on)

2022 1st (Owner is in a VERY difficult division - currently bottom of it but only 1 win with results going their way to being top) + a 3rd + Studnicka

It's not enough right now, but he's open to counters - what're thoughts
    Team One (Mercenaries Of Mandalore) 24T Dynasty, 4LW/RW/C, 6D, 2G, 4B - G, A1, A2, PPG, PPA, SHP, SOG, FOW, FOL, TK, GV, HIT, BLK, FT, ||| W, L, GA, SV, SHO, A

Team Two (Hamilton Tigers) 16T Dynasty - 3LW/RW/C, 6D, 2G, 6B - G, A, PPP, SHP, SOG, BLK, HIT, FOW| W, L, GA, SV, SHO, A

Dobber Sports Icon

What's the point in trading a 22 year old #1 dman if you are rebuilding? When are you trying to win? If you are planning to be better in more than 10 years, than it might make sense to entertain thoughts on moving McAvoy. Otherwise, I would keep McAvoy and reap the rewards.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    What's the point in trading a 22 year old #1 dman if you are rebuilding? When are you trying to win? If you are planning to be better in more than 10 years, than it might make sense to entertain thoughts on moving McAvoy. Otherwise, I would keep McAvoy and reap the rewards.

Not particularly looking to trade him, but I'm wondering what would be 'worth' if it came in.

Dobber Sports Icon

Cale Makar or possibly Quinn Hughes. That's pretty much it for me.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    Cale Makar or possibly Quinn Hughes. That's pretty much it for me.
    Nice, I'm glad my evaluation isn't completely off. My league hates me because they say I overvalue

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by JayJJeffery View Post
    Nice, I'm glad my evaluation isn't completely off. My league hates me because they say I overvalue

Everyone overvalues and acts like they do not. In my league trades usually go back and forth with 4 or 5 counter offers and sometimes they start with real lowball offers.
    #1 Yahoo Keep 5, 14 teams
    C, C, RW, LW, F, F, D, D, D, Uti, G, G, BN, BN, BN, BN
    G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, FOW~W, L, GAA, Sv%, saves, SO

McDavid C
    , Kadri C, Zibanejad C, Mackinnon C, Boldy LW/RW, Backlund C, Duchene C/RW, Fantilli C, Batherson LW/RW, Forsberg LW, Zegras C IR, Mintyukov D, Dunn D, Seider D, Hellebucyk G, Kochetkov, Bobrovsky G