Thread: Am I crazy? Seguin (+8th) for Bouchard and 1st

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Am I crazy? Seguin (+8th) for Bouchard and 1st

I’m considering making a change to my keeper core, which would involve two trades with two GMs:

- Trade Seguin for a 1st round pick
    - Trade an 8th round pick for Bouchard

I would be replacing Seguin with Bouchard in my 8 keepers, and get a 1st round pick as part of it. My 8 keepers would then be:

- Pettersson
    - Barkov
    - Scheifele
    - Vasilevskiy
    - Werenski
    - Hamilton
    - Ellis
    - Bouchard

I’ve been slowly working to build a new core of younger keepers, so this move would be to keep with that. D-men in my league are super valuable as well, so it’s easier to draft/trade for forwards than it is to get good fantasy Dmen.

I’m also a little concerned with Seguins drop in production and now injury issues - not sure if I can expect him to be the same player anymore.

I’m taking a steep hit in the short term, but is it a crazy to do this move?
    League 1: 16 Teams. 8 Keepers. Weekly H2H
    F (Start 6): Barkov, J.Hughes, Zibanejad, E. Kane, Buchnevich, Kopitar, W. Johnston, Trocheck
    D (Start 4): Josi, Hamilton, Toews, Hanifin, Pionk, Clarke, Korchinski
    G (Start 1): Vasilevskiy, Binnington

Point System
    G=2, A=1, D-man G/A=+1, PIM=0.5, +/-=0.5, Shot=0.1, PPG=1, PPA=1
    Goalie Points
    W=4, S= 0.14, GA=-1, OvertimeW=1, ShootOutW =1, ShutOut=2

League 2: 12 Team Dynasty League - 30 man roster plus 7 farm.
    Keep 20 + 7 farm. Weekly H2H Roto. G, A, Shots, Hits, Blocks, PPP, Goalie W, SV%, GAA. Forward Positional Requirements.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: Am I crazy? Seguin (+8th) for Bouchard and 1st

i would keep Kopitar over Bouchard...maybe Voracek over Ellis

i would do Seguin Trade, it gives you additional first rounder and i would keep your 8th
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Will the first be redraft + entry? And whereabouts?

I’d lean do it bc I think Seguins going to have a tough year.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Seguin for a 1st I like. But Bouchard is nowhere close to keeper territory - I'd say its 50/50 whether he even makes the NHL next season and even if he does he's below Barrie, Nurse, and eventually Klefbom for pp time.

I'd move out Seguin and then I'd be fine keeping Jarry, Kopitar or Voracek with the open keeper slot.
    32 Team Dynasty With Cap (83.5M) - H2H Pts
    Skaters: G: 4, A: 2, PPP: 1, SHP: 2, SOG: 0.5, HIT: 0.5, BLK: 0.5, FOW: 0.1, +/-: 0.5
    Goalies: W: 6, SHO: 6, SV 0.25, GA: -2
    Positions: 3C, 6W, 3F, 6D, 2G, 3BN, 20 Prospects

C: McTavish, Newhook, Dellandrea, Parssinen, Sillinger, Jost
    W: Svechnikov, Guenther, Berggren, Krebs, Palat, Foudy
    D: Weresnki, Chabot, Ekholm, Krug, Pelech, Jensen, Forbort
    G: Blackwood, Ersson

Top Prospects: Smith (SJS), Savoie (BUF), Bourgault (EDM), Bourque (DAL), Perron (CAR), Korchinski (CHI), Nikishin (CAR), Jones (NYR), Cossa (DET), UPL (BUF), Daws (NJD)

Dobber Sports Padawan

Yeah the draft would be redraft + entry. So I could either draft a top 2020 draft player, or a good veteran that was dropped.

I’m not really on board with keeping voracek or kopitar in place of Seguin though, because one of the main goals of the move is to go younger with that keeper. Both of those guys are even older so I would just keep Seguin.

Jarry is not on my team anymore- traded him for a pick just didn’t update the signature.

Edit: should mention - I know in the short term this is a loss for me, with Bouchard in the upcoming season. The gamble I’m debating is what he’s projected to become long term. I’m thinking of grabbing him now when he’s basically free, and betting on him becoming a solid fantasy dman in a few years

Dobber Sports Wizard

in limited keeper i really think you got this wrong..you go for a win every year, who cares if they old or young....one of your 2 first rounders could become a stud in upcoming year just like Fiala did last year...and that be your replacment...keeping a guy that has 50/50 chance to even make a roster is giving up on the season...

way i look at it is down grade from Seguin to Kopitar is so marginal that getting 1st rounder for it is very good idea....and if you really dont care about wining next year u still do it and draft byfield as im sure he is not drafted in first round otherwise since he cant help anybody next year...i would not do it but its an option...

Dobber Sports Padawan

I understand your thoughts but my league is definitely still a youth driven league and the GMs put lots of weight to that. It may be crazy but players that are over age 30 don’t have much trade value, unless it’s the very upper echelon of talent.

I’m not debating the insanity of that in itself, but that’s just how our league has been operating for a number of years. Youth reigns supreme, at least regarding asset value. All the top draft picks will be grabbed early in our draft, even if they don’t play in the NHL right away.

Anyway, it sounds like trading Seguin for a 1st is very reasonable. I could make the move to get Bouchard as well for basically nothing, and then decide later if I keep him or Kopitar ultimately

Dobber Sports Wizard

hey its just fantasy hockey, you do what makes you sleep well at night

i respectfully disagree but its your team run it as you like it

The Great One

The Seguin trade I'd do. The Bouchard trade I'm not a huge fan of. What might be there in the 8th rd is quite possibly better.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Bouchard likely won’t do much this year with Barrie around. I’d imagine you could get him cheaper next year.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by joeb323 View Post
    Yeah the draft would be redraft + entry. So I could either draft a top 2020 draft player, or a good veteran that was dropped.

I’m not really on board with keeping voracek or kopitar in place of Seguin though, because one of the main goals of the move is to go younger with that keeper. Both of those guys are even older so I would just keep Seguin.

Jarry is not on my team anymore- traded him for a pick just didn’t update the signature.

Edit: should mention - I know in the short term this is a loss for me, with Bouchard in the upcoming season. The gamble I’m debating is what he’s projected to become long term. I’m thinking of grabbing him now when he’s basically free, and betting on him becoming a solid fantasy dman in a few years
    If you are this set on getting Bouchard maybe try offering Kopitar or Voracek for him instead of the pick then? I know if I had Bouchard in a league like this I'd be mashing the accept button as quickly as possible for either one.

Personally I wouldn't view it as keeping Kopitar in place of Seguin, but Kopitar in place of Bouchard then.
    32 Team Dynasty With Cap (83.5M) - H2H Pts
    Skaters: G: 4, A: 2, PPP: 1, SHP: 2, SOG: 0.5, HIT: 0.5, BLK: 0.5, FOW: 0.1, +/-: 0.5
    Goalies: W: 6, SHO: 6, SV 0.25, GA: -2
    Positions: 3C, 6W, 3F, 6D, 2G, 3BN, 20 Prospects

C: McTavish, Newhook, Dellandrea, Parssinen, Sillinger, Jost
    W: Svechnikov, Guenther, Berggren, Krebs, Palat, Foudy
    D: Weresnki, Chabot, Ekholm, Krug, Pelech, Jensen, Forbort
    G: Blackwood, Ersson

Top Prospects: Smith (SJS), Savoie (BUF), Bourgault (EDM), Bourque (DAL), Perron (CAR), Korchinski (CHI), Nikishin (CAR), Jones (NYR), Cossa (DET), UPL (BUF), Daws (NJD)

Dobber Sports Padawan

Fair point, you guys have given me a lot to think about. I am now leaning toward the Seguin for a 1st deal, then keeping Kopitar. Then I can look to draft Bouchard hopefully. That might make the most sense.

Cheers!

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by joeb323 View Post
    I understand your thoughts but my league is definitely still a youth driven league and the GMs put lots of weight to that. It may be crazy but players that are over age 30 don’t have much trade value, unless it’s the very upper echelon of talent.

I’m not debating the insanity of that in itself, but that’s just how our league has been operating for a number of years. Youth reigns supreme, at least regarding asset value. All the top draft picks will be grabbed early in our draft, even if they don’t play in the NHL right away.

Anyway, it sounds like trading Seguin for a 1st is very reasonable. I could make the move to get Bouchard as well for basically nothing, and then decide later if I keep him or Kopitar ultimately
    That's an fascinating statement. There is a guy in our league (similar scoring, etc) who chooses to have an older team and finishes top 3 regularly. He has select younger players but otherwise looks at the 28+ year old players that other under value. I see the appeal to be like others but you may find that staying intentionally older serves you well. Food for thought. You kind find gems when your competitors de-value players similarly.
    9 Team Points Only Dynasty - 27 Player Roster (17 Keepers) - 12 F, 6 D, 2 UTL, 2 G, 5 Bench - 2.5G, 2A, 1PP, 2SHG, 1SHA, 3W, 2SO, 1OTL, 0.05SV

F: J Robertson, Huberdeau, Rantanen, Aho, Kaprizov, Scheifele, Connor, DeBrincat, Cozens, Ehlers, Toffoli, Kopitar, Trocheck, Schmaltz, W Johnston, Teravainen, J Quinn
    D: Dahlin, Werenski, M Rielly, S Jones, McCavoy, Gustafsson
    G: Shesterkin, Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I'd do the Seguin deal. You don't want to be keeping Seguin right now with his injury.

Bouchard isn't worth a draft pick right now. He's not keeper worthy. If the guy keeps Bouchard, and you still want him, ask him who he'd like you to pick for him in the 8th round, and make the deal at the draft.

You don't want to be the guy who gets intentionally younger & worse, and keeps getting younger & worse. Because everyone loves playing in leagues with them, unless they quit.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.