Thread: Am I crazy for thinking about drafting Price?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Am I crazy for thinking about drafting Price?

20 Team Dynasty with Cap ($90M, Cap Hit) - G:3 | A:2 | Hit:0.5 | Blk:0.5 | SOG:0.5 | STP:1 | FOW:0.1 | W: 3 | SHO:5 | SV:0.2 | GA:-1

Currently in the middle of my league's inaugural draft and I'm seriously considering taking Price. Due to the relatively low value of goalies with our scoring I've focused on skaters so far, but its getting to the point where there is a significant gap between Price and the rest of the field available. For context here's the top alternatives left:

Price - 260fp - Is a workhorse but may lose some starts to Allen, and that 10.5M contract is a huge cost
    Rittich - 212fp - Cheap, but just got replaced as the starter by Markstrom
    Bobrovsky - 194fp - Expensive and I might as well just go with Price who has less uncertainty
    Varlamov - 191fp - Middling contract but Sorokin is knocking on the door for his starting job
    Koskinen - 178fp - Mid level for just about everything

And then a number of backups like Stalock, Halack, etc

To compare the top skaters I'd be targeting are:

Coleman - 315fp
    Stone - 304fp
    Perron - 298fp
    Kreider - 289fp

I have back-to-back picks here so I can help reduce the impact of Price's giant contract by taking someone like Coleman, Comtois or Marino in the short-term. But while skaters are clearly better, there is far more of a fall in quality from Price to the next best goalie than the best skater down to the next few options.

Team so far:

C (Start 4): Larkin, Dubois, Monahan, Cozens
    LW (Start 4): E. Kane
    RW (Start 4): Fiala, Garland
    D (Start 6): Makar, Dahlin, Carlson
    G (Start 2): Saros
    Bench (6):

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Am I crazy for thinking about drafting Price?

I generally want to look at players in tiers by position, and then across positions.

I agree that you seem to have things tiered well, but I'd be very careful about Halak. He's got a real shot to be the Bruins #1 if Rask doesn't return, and unlike many backups, we know that he can handle a tandem workload.

The downside to Price is that you have roster 26 players, and Price is 11% of your cap. I'd avoid him, just because of the contract. Is Sorokin available to go with Varlamov, or is there a tandem you can get?

Is Sorokin available?
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Titan

Yes it's crazy. There are 50 goalies that offer you better cap league value.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Yes it's crazy. There are 50 goalies that offer you better cap league value.
    direct question, direct answer, huh?

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Brad View Post
    direct question, direct answer, huh?
    Yup!
    Rittich and Varlamov from the available set would be much better value options.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Yup!
    Rittich and Varlamov from the available set would be much better value options.
    Still think Rittich is a solid own even though he firmly the backup now - no 1A 1B situation like he's had with Smith and Talbot?

Dobber Sports Titan

Demko still had a ton of value with VAN, and they aren't necessarily better defensively than CGY. Rittich has a decently low cost. It's close because of how volume based it is, but I would rather Rittich and a more productive skater with the extra money

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jshed2 View Post
    Still think Rittich is a solid own even though he firmly the backup now - no 1A 1B situation like he's had with Smith and Talbot?
    Yes because the league is fantasy points driven. Look at the points from decent backups, and add those to say the points for a $5M skater. I bet that beats Price.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

The Great One

Heck Allen would be better value. He's going to see quite a few starts this year. The Habs loved how a rested Price looked in the playoffs and got Allen so they can rest Price a lot more than in the past. The days of Price starting 65-70 games are gone.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch