Thread: Is this a good timing to go after R. Thomas?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Is this a good timing to go after R. Thomas?

I feel like his upside could be around a point per game. He may still be a ''under the radar'' kind of guy for some gms.

Am I projecting him a bit too high? What do you think?

Just for fun, would you rather have a Zegras or Thomas in a keeper league?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Is this a good timing to go after R. Thomas?

Yeah... it depends.
    Myself, and a couple other people on the forums, are super high on Thomas.

For me - the kid just oozes hockey. I love everything about the way he plays.
    None of his tools/skills are elite... but everything is very good.
    And I sense that his hockey IQ is top 5%. His sense of awareness is just really really high.
    Guys like this - once the NHL pace of play is 2nd nature - they hit a big gear.

I think he'll be a 65pt-75pt player for a lot of his career.
    He has the same sort of styles of "hockey" as one of my other fave NHL players: Joe Pavelski.

Because Thomas is NOT a highlight reel kind of guy... you'll always be able to get him fairly cheap in leagues.
    He was drafted 20th overall (IIRC) so he doesn't also have that top10 draftee hype that lingers among those guys.

I'd probably prefer Zegras - because I think ANA is so starved for offense (esp. since Getzlaf may leave after his final UFA season) that Zegras will be gifted a huge role.
    Zegras being a top10 pick - is also going to be harder to acquire - and carry more "trade value" than Thomas.
    If both guys are scoring 50pts, say, Zegras is going to still be more in demand.

STL has more depth and has won with defense, so I think STL needs/wants less, offensively, from Thomas.
    As long as ROR & B.Schenn are with STL... Thomas isn't going to be forced/pushed into too much of a demand role.
    If Thomas is a +10 or +15 at end of year, and Blues make playoffs - it won't matter whether he scores 50pts or 70pts.

So... Zegras > Thomas for me.
    But I absolutely love what I see/have seen from Robert Thomas.
    I think he will be my favourite NHL player in a year or two.

Dobber Sports Rookie

the 3rd season for most guys is when they tend to breakout.
    Thomas's floor is around 50 points next season, and with Tarasenko being injured to start the year we should see a good jump in TOI for him, and hopefully more PP1 time.

Zegras looked really good from what i saw at the wjc last year as he showcased his incredible vision. He will probably take some time to come around though as i'm sure there will be some growing pains in his rookie campaign.
    As we all know that players rarely come up in there first season, and tear it up.

so i'm going to say i'd rather have Thomas short term, and Zegras long term. as Zegras will probably outpoint Thomas in the long run.
    Now is the time to pick up Thomas if you can grab him for a good price!
    pts only 10 team Limited Keeper H2H weekly / dress any 12 forwards / 6 D / 2 goalies / Keep 16 players at end of season
    goals and assists = 1 point each
    Goalie wins = 2pts per win + 1 for SO & 1pt for OT loss

keeping 9F/5D/2G
    Keepers highlighted in bold

Forwards - A. Panarin, A. Svechnikov, A. Kopitar, K. Fiala, M. Tkachuk, J. Voracek, F. Forsberg, J. Hughes, C. Keller, / R. Thomas, N. Schmaltz, N. Patrick, C. Glass, S. Steel, A. Nylander,
    J. Pavelski, A. Johnsson, R. Hintz

Defense - D. Hamilton, R. Dahlin, A. Fox, J. Klingberg, M. Sergachev, / S. Weber, T.J. Brodie

Goalies - I. Shesterkin, M. Blackwood, / C. talbot, J. Korpisalo, C. Crawford

The Great One

4th season is statistically when most young players breakout. Actually about the 200 game mark for F who aren’t small and 400 games for smaller forwards and D. Read about it here...
    https://dobberhockey.com/2020/08/17/...ear-breakouts/

Plan accordingly on Thomas.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    4th season is statistically when most young players breakout. Actually about the 200 game mark for F who aren’t small and 400 games for smaller forwards and D. Read about it here...
    https://dobberhockey.com/2020/08/17/...ear-breakouts/

Plan accordingly on Thomas.
    cheers! thanks for the info, that's a good read.
    pts only 10 team Limited Keeper H2H weekly / dress any 12 forwards / 6 D / 2 goalies / Keep 16 players at end of season
    goals and assists = 1 point each
    Goalie wins = 2pts per win + 1 for SO & 1pt for OT loss

keeping 9F/5D/2G
    Keepers highlighted in bold

Forwards - A. Panarin, A. Svechnikov, A. Kopitar, K. Fiala, M. Tkachuk, J. Voracek, F. Forsberg, J. Hughes, C. Keller, / R. Thomas, N. Schmaltz, N. Patrick, C. Glass, S. Steel, A. Nylander,
    J. Pavelski, A. Johnsson, R. Hintz

Defense - D. Hamilton, R. Dahlin, A. Fox, J. Klingberg, M. Sergachev, / S. Weber, T.J. Brodie

Goalies - I. Shesterkin, M. Blackwood, / C. talbot, J. Korpisalo, C. Crawford

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Thank you guys, always some helpful responses on this site. I love it. Rep'd you all

I'll keep Zegras, and i'll try to figure something out if Thomas starts slowly. Price is too high atm