View Poll Results: Who will be the five biggest busts?

Voters
103. This poll is closed
  • Joel Armia (2011, 16th overall)

3 2.91%
  • Sven Baertschi (2011, 13th overall)

31 30.10%
  • Sam Bennett (2014, 4th overall)

52 50.49%
  • Lawson Crouse (2015, 11th overall)

17 16.50%
  • Jonathan Drouin (2013, 3rd overall)

36 34.95%
  • Hayden Fleury (2014, 7th overall)

35 33.98%
  • Noah Hanifin (2015, 5th overall)

8 7.77%
  • Tyson Jost (2016, 10th overall)

16 15.53%
  • Slater Koekkoek (2012, 10th overall)

34 33.01%
  • Sonny Milano (2014, 16th overall)

14 13.59%
  • Casey Middlestadt (2017, 8th overall)

28 27.18%
  • Ryan Murray (2012, 2nd overall)

49 47.57%
  • Valeri Nichushkin (2013, 10th overall)

14 13.59%
  • Nolan Patrick (2017, 2nd overall)

39 37.86%
  • Brendan Perlini (2014, 12th overall)

26 25.24%
  • Jesse Puljujarvi (2016, 4th overall)

20 19.42%
  • Nick Ritchie (2014, 10th overall)

16 15.53%
  • Jack Roslovic (2015, 25th overall)

1 0.97%
  • Jake Virtanen (2014, 6th overall)

17 16.50%
  • Pavel Zacha (2015, 6th overall)

35 33.98%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ROOS LETS LOOSE POLL: Biggest draft busts

The Magnificent One

Default ROOS LETS LOOSE POLL: Biggest draft busts

Free agency and trades have dominated the fantasy news cycle, so much so that it's difficult to remember the draft took place just a few weeks ago. And thinking of the draft of course brings up the subject of draft busts, of which there have been many. But who will go down as the biggest draft busts since 2011? That's for your votes to decide.

The question is who will, by the end of their NHL careers, turn out to be the five biggest busts picked in the first round since 2011. To be eligible, each skater (no goalies are included) not only must have been a first round draft pick, but also have played 100-400 games in the NHL and still have been on an NHL roster in 2019-20, as I want to focus on once highly touted players who have already been given a fair chance to demonstrate their talent but also not those who’ve played so many games that it’s already crystal clear whether they will or won’t be a total bust. So rather than looking perhaps at true "busts" who never amounted to anything, this is focusing on those who were the biggest failures in their NHL careers. In other words, think of bust meaning failure to capitalize upon draft position and opportunity. Also, in deciding your votes, you can and should factor in expectations – that is, generally the earlier a player was picked the more he should be expected to produce; but if a player wasn’t projected to be an elite scorer, that makes him less of a bust if indeed he puts up less than stellar numbers.

You will have 20 players to choose from, in alphabetical order with their draft year and pick number listed. Your job is to pick the five (yes, exactly five) who will turn out to be the biggest busts picked since 2011. Note that for those curious why I didn't go back to 2010, it's because things have shaken out enough with all those players as to pretty much know who were busts.

As usual, please post here with your choices and why you picked them, as doing so provides useful and entertaining food for thought for readers.
    DobberHockey Senior Writer (columnist since 2012)
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: ROOS LETS LOOSE POLL: Biggest draft busts

It's hard to call some of the kids drafted since 2016 as busts because some players take longer to develop than others, especially Dmen. Also, if they have played at least 100 games as you are looking for, are they really a bust? I think of guys like Griffin Reinhart and Michael Dal Colle off the top of my head as potential busts because both were high draft picks and have barely played in the NHL.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Magnificent One

My five were:

Murray - yeah, injuries; but when I think of busts over the last decade he's the one that first comes to mind
    Perlini - when you're non-qualified by your third team and that team is the Red Wings, things are not going well
    Ritchie - yes, big men are inherently risky to draft, but he was supposed to be very good and he's been anything but
    Virtanen - if only fan memes counted as stats, but sadly they don't and Shotgun Jake looks like his career is on the fast track to nowhere
    Zacha - he's had enough opportunities to show what he's made of, and never done anything to suggest he'll have a successful NHL career, let alone one befitting a sixth overall pick
    Click here to read my weekly "Roos Lets Loose" columns, going live every Wednesday morning and consisting of a rotating schedule of a "forum buzz" column, a fantasy hockey mailbag, a tournament/poll, and an edition of Goldipucks and the Three Skaters: https://dobberhockey.com/category/ho...key-rick-roos/

The Magnificent One

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    It's hard to call some of the kids drafted since 2016 as busts because some players take longer to develop than others, especially Dmen. Also, if they have played at least 100 games as you are looking for, are they really a bust? I think of guys like Griffin Reinhart and Michael Dal Colle off the top of my head as potential busts because both were high draft picks and have barely played in the NHL.
    Very fair point about just playing 100+ games showing they weren't a true bust in that sense of the word. But I figured let's look a guys who were given a chance but failed to capitalize. I'll revise the wording in the main post and the column to stress this.

Dobber Sports Deity

Can we write in our own if they arent on your list? Ryan Murphy, Marko Dano, Nik Goldobin, come on down.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Immortal

I went ....

Drouin - I know he has played and scored but looking at who went after him holy crap. Jones, Lindholm, Monahan, Nurse, Risto, Horvat.
    Fleury
    Zacha
    Perlini
    Koekkek

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I chose them, in order, as:
    Puljujarvi, Koekkoek, Bennett, H.Fleury, Ritchie

(edit)
    I really can't say I like the 100-400gp criteria.
    It's just weird... like Dal Colle is excluded because he's at 85gp... (shaking head)... weird.

FWIW - I think Zacha is ready to pop.
    Super, super late-bloomer... a la Sean Couturier.
    It's coming, this year or next.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I chose them, in order, as:
    Puljujarvi, Koekkoek, Bennett, H.Fleury, Ritchie

A couple notes:
    1. Michael Dal Colle! How MDC (the #5 overall) was omited from the 2014 draft... but Bennett (#4) and Fleury (#7) were included?!? That's a bit weird. MDC should be the big winner here.
    2. Around 2012, 2013, 2014 are some major D busts - and this is due to a shift in NHL style - with mobile skating of forward making a HUGE rise and the (long-time) value of large D-men falling... if they aren't mobile. So Reinhart (2012 4oa), Koekkoek (2012 10oa), Sam Morin (2013 11oa), Fleury (2014 7oa)... these guys just aren't/weren't mobile enough for the NHL that was coming. I think they are all way, way, way bigger busts than, say, Ryan Murray.
    3. Ryan Murray is actually a career +13, and a top 4D on a pretty inferior CBJ team, talent-wise. He's not a bust for me. He's a bit of an underperformer from perhaps the worst draft in NHL history!!! Yes, he was a "#2 overall"... but the difference from 2-7, IIRC, in a draft that was so weak that Nail Yakupov was a CLEAR #1... is enough to just disregard draft position relative to other year's of drafts.

MDC, Morin, Reinhart should've all been on this list.
    They would've been my #1, #2, #3.
    The criteria states they had to have played 100 games at least.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

^Yeah... I re-read and edited my response.
    (btw - your first response in this thread mentions Dal Colle - so it's your fault!!!)

Though... I really struggle when people set up these sort of qualifiers.
    Like... "Who is the ugliest of the pretty girls at school?"
    I... just... {headache}.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    ^Yeah... I re-read and edited my response.
    (btw - your first response in this thread mentions Dal Colle - so it's your fault!!!)

Though... I really struggle when people set up these sort of qualifiers.
    Like... "Who is the ugliest of the pretty girls at school?"
    I... just... {headache}.
    LOL! True. Thats why I mentioned anyone who's already played 100 games isn't someone I'd call a bust, but there's a couple names up there I'd say could fall under that category. I just dont see five from his list. I like the three I mentioned in a previous post to be added to the list but we'll see if Rizz agrees with me. hint hint....

Dobber Sports Grand Master

No vote from me, because my write in for biggest bust is: the construction of this poll.

The limitation of 100-400 games while including drafts as recent as 2017 is kind of nutty. There are 7 total players who've got 100 games in the NHL from that draft, and th guy who has done the least isn't in the poll: Jokiharju.

Normally these poll are really good, this one just isn't.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

The Magnificent One

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    No vote from me, because my write in for biggest bust is: the construction of this poll.

The limitation of 100-400 games while including drafts as recent as 2017 is kind of nutty. There are 7 total players who've got 100 games in the NHL from that draft, and th guy who has done the least isn't in the poll: Jokiharju.

Normally these poll are really good, this one just isn't.
    Fair points, and well taken. My reasoning for 100-400 games played and still being in the league is to focus on guys who have been given a shot but who still might turn things around. After all, aside from these polls being fun, my goal is for there to be a fantasy purpose. And I felt that if I allowed guys in with fewer than 100 games or more than 400, or who are already out of the league, then whatever fantasy purpose this could serve is largely gone.

But yeah, perhaps this was not one of my best ideas - or executions - in hindsight. Trust me though, it's not easy to come up with one of these each and every month. I can only imagine what it's like for Tom doing a top ten list every week!

Dobber Sports Initiate

I have Murphy in the #1 spot

Followed by Perlini at #2
    Drouin at #3
    Virtanen makes #4
    Bring up the rear of this group is Ritchie at #5

Felt this poll could have been setup better with some changes to the criteria.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by RizzeeDizzee View Post
    But yeah, perhaps this was not one of my best ideas - or executions - in hindsight. Trust me though, it's not easy to come up with one of these each and every month. I can only imagine what it's like for Tom doing a top ten list every week!
    then do them when you have a good idea. we want better content not more frequent content

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Dobber Sports Monster

Tough to do without a few more years of these guys. The only ones I'd say are pretty much busts at this point are Baertschi, Perlini and in my opinion probably Ritchie. I added in Fluery and Bennett although I am not totally sure about them just yet. Patrick is a big candidate too but I am just not ready to discard him until we see him healthy, if that day comes.

I think there are pleeeenty of late bloomer candidates on this list.

I actually liked the idea, it's simply projecting the future. No harm in that IMO, it's just for fun and generates some banter.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry