Thread: Player trade evaluation

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Player trade evaluation

League in sig. 7 team, keep 12 (7F, 4D, 1G) salary cap pts only league (G=1 A=1).

Very curious to see opinions on the following :

Trade Crosby for a 2nd oa and a 3rd rounder.

It's really hard to make trades in my league especially with ''big'' contract players. I approached a GM who showed interest in Crosby with this unofficial offer just to see how he'd react. He said the price is too much for Crosby.

Thoughts!?
    8 Teams - Season long points only limited keeper (7F, 4D, 1G) cap league using cap hit
    Active lineup : 20 (12F, 6D, 2G)
    Bench: 6 (3F, 2D, 1G)
    10 trades for FAs + 10 moves between lineup and bench
    G (1 pt), A (1), W (2), SO (2), OTL (1)

F: McDavid, Stutzle, Hischier, Hyman, Konecny, Raymond, Perfetti, Guentzel, Bratt, Drouin, JT Miller, Peterka, Guenther, L. Carlsson, Zary
    D: Makar, Q. Hughes, Malinski, Durzi, Harley, Sanderson, Clarke, Lundkvist
    G:Sorokin, Demko, Georgiev
    NHL cap : $83.5 cap (bench doesn't count against cap)

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Player trade evaluation

Not surprised, I'm in same type of league and own Crosby as well and there is no interest in Crosby. His cap hit is good vs production but his age combined with last year's injuries is what I mostly get as an argument to de-value him.

Kinda ''stuck'' (not a problem) with him unless you eventually find someone who's willing to pay or you decide to take less (which I wouldn't do).

If you drop guys like Hall, Malkin, Barzal, I don't see the point to trade for Crosby either. The 2nd overall will have a player of that same quality with a lower salary and have move value then Crosby alone. So the 3rd round pick in addition makes it even more worthless.

Crosby is the big name but with that kind of NHL salary cap you want to use your high draft picks to select the best points/salary ratio players.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Stencil View Post
    If you drop guys like Hall, Malkin, Barzal, I don't see the point to trade for Crosby either. The 2nd overall will have a player of that same quality with a lower salary and have move value then Crosby alone. So the 3rd round pick in addition makes it even more worthless.

Crosby is the big name but with that kind of NHL salary cap you want to use your high draft picks to select the best points/salary ratio players.
    So if you had a 2nd oa pick for Crosby in this situation you'd take it?

I'd most likely be keeping either Debrincat or Zadina as a replacement because I am already protecting A LOT of salary.
    8 Teams - Season long points only limited keeper (7F, 4D, 1G) cap league using cap hit

F: McDavid, Stutzle, Hischier, Hyman, Konecny, Raymond, Perfetti, Guentzel, Bratt, Drouin, JT Miller, Peterka, Guenther, L. Carlsson, Zary

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I might move 2nd overall for Crosby, if I had a weak final keeper and no cap issues in a vacuum.

However, I might not if I knew Malkin was getting dropped. That's your conundrum. Nobody wants to give up a 2nd overall pick for a guy they can likely simply pick 2nd overall, because they then have to use a keeper slot.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

For the same price, would you rather move Crosby or Carlson?

Crosby, because the F you replace him with is much better.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    Crosby, because the F you replace him with is much better.
    IF I was able to get 2nd oa for Crosby you'd take it? Other GM says he's thinking about it. He has no true forward stars aside from maybe Svechnikov on his team.

Who would you then keep from my team in place of Crosby?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Same as above. If you can get a 2 o/a for Crosby then smash accept, don't feel bad and don't look back. BUT would you trade Crosby at 33 for 10-15 years of a player who could hit the levels of Malkin/Kopitar (Byfield) OR Patty Kane (Lafrieniere)?

For your sake, here is hoping he would, as long as your not in my league. Ha

Good Luck

I would do it but in a league like that and with your team, I'm not drafting Lafreniere. I go for a proven star and try to win.

You can keep Malkin or Hall who are as good as Crosby (fantasy speaking) or Barzal who is probably a downgrade but with a better salary. The answer is yours depending what's your draft strategy.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Stencil View Post
    I would do it but in a league like that and with your team, I'm not drafting Lafreniere. I go for a proven star and try to win.

You can keep Malkin or Hall who are as good as Crosby (fantasy speaking) or Barzal who is probably a downgrade but with a better salary. The answer is yours depending what's your draft strategy.
    Well the other GM backed down and decided to stick with his strategy of not rostering any player with a salary higher than $6M. I wished him good luck with that. 😀
    Will continue shopping Crosby but it's looking more and more unlikely. We hand in our keeper list in 3 weeks and nothing happening in my league trade wise.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I would trade Crosby for the the 2nd overall and 3rd. Then I would keep Malkin or even Barzal You will get a player at 2 that will replace the Crosby points, plus then you get the picks you already have. You have solid keepers so the earlier draft picks the better.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinxyz View Post
    Well the other GM backed down and decided to stick with his strategy of not rostering any player with a salary higher than $6M. I wished him good luck with that. ��
    Will continue shopping Crosby but it's looking more and more unlikely. We hand in our keeper list in 3 weeks and nothing happening in my league trade wise.
    That was great. Do you have anyone who is say right at $6M to deal that you'd be willing to move? At least you know Svechnikov will become available when he's a pending FA, and you can gear up to give cheap producers for a star.