Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: [SIGNED] Thornton with the Leafs

The Great One

Default Re: [SIGNED] Thornton with the Leafs

Quote Originally Posted by Fighting_Emu View Post
    Thornton played effectively as a 3rd line center last year. 4th line for 700k is zero risk. You can press box him for that price. I think its funny that anyone would get bent out of shape for that signing. Pretty sure Corey Perry just proved theres absolutely zero downside in making a signing like this for the league minimum
    Corey Perry is 35. Thornton is 41.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Expert

The only thing I can think of here is trying to bring more leadership into the room. It's league minimum so definitely doesn't hurt them cap wise. But how effect is he playing a defensive/shut down role? The Leafs don't need their 4th line to put the puck in the net, they need to keep it out.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    Corey Perry is 35. Thornton is 41.
    And. Absolutely most importantly. Can they put him in the press box.

I mean it’s not like he has a clause in his contract that says they can’t, but how does it take it? Does it become a locker room problem? Does it become a media problem? Etc.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

He signed with the Leafs because he wants the Cup....

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by ChilePuck View Post
    He signed with the Leafs because he wants the Cup....
    Maybe he's there to help them finally win a playoff round first. Or maybe not...

FB_IMG_1602939708824.jpg
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Comical that a $700K signing, regardless of who it is, garners this much attention. He’s a depth player at best. Just like Spezza. Simmonds has a role to play. Thornton also can be a role player if he brings some grit but pretty low risk signing here. As a Leaf fan, I am more focused on Simmonds and above than Simmonds and below which likely includes Spezza then Thornton.

But for all the non Leaf fans that are more focused on my team than their own... carry on. I understand the desire to have something, ANYTHING to talk about or criticize at this stage of the off season.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Comical that a $700K signing, regardless of who it is, garners this much attention. He’s a depth player at best. Just like Spezza. Simmonds has a role to play. Thornton also can be a role player if he brings some grit but pretty low risk signing here. As a Leaf fan, I am more focused on Simmonds and above than Simmonds and below which likely includes Spezza then Thornton.

But for all the non Leaf fans that are more focused on my team than their own... carry on. I understand the desire to have something, ANYTHING to talk about or criticize at this stage of the off season.
    I pegged you as a habs fan but upon closer review its havanablast not habanablast

Dobber Sports Deity

Sorry but it's a knee jerk reaction to chirp Leafs fans because everything the Leafs do is seen as god-given by Leafs fans. It's just normal to poke fun.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Dobber Sports Master

they are one of the fastest teams in the league so adding two over the hill slow-pokes is simply puzzling to me . thorntons bread and butter is slowing down the play and dishing to an open guy with his long reach . leafs do everything fast in the o-zone so jumbo doing his thing is the opposite of what makes leafs lethal at times .

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Is Havana so bothered by the potential that this could be a problematic signing for legitimate reasons that have been outlined that he just posted the same message twice? There’s messages in between it so it wasn’t a dobber glitch lol.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    I pegged you as a habs fan but upon closer review its havanablast not habanablast
    Ok, Dat Dere was funny! I don’t care who your are Dat was funny!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    they are one of the fastest teams in the league so adding two over the hill slow-pokes is simply puzzling to me . thorntons bread and butter is slowing down the play and dishing to an open guy with his long reach . leafs do everything fast in the o-zone so jumbo doing his thing is the opposite of what makes leafs lethal at times .
    What about the D zone. PK? Isn’t that where you want a player to “slow things down”? How often do we see depth players at $700K be a factor in the main offensive attack?

And, the best pitchers have not only a great Fastball, but killer breaking stuff at the right time here and there. Joe And Jay... breaking stuff.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Is Havana so bothered by the potential that this could be a problematic signing for legitimate reasons that have been outlined that he just posted the same message twice? There’s messages in between it so it wasn’t a dobber glitch lol.
    Yes, that was totally me. And “back” function left me thinking I forgot to post the pending message which wasn’t actually pending. But happy to pour a little fuel on this camp fire. Lol
    Last edited by havanablast21; October 17, 2020 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Why? Is the fluff cup over? Damn. Sorry

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Sorry but it's a knee jerk reaction to chirp Leafs fans because everything the Leafs do is seen as god-given by Leafs fans. It's just normal to poke fun.
    Oh gawd, don’t I know it. And given the grief the Oilers have put you through, I’ll gladly take it from you Axe! Lol.