Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What Exercises Can Someone Do At Home During This Pandemic?

Banned

Default What Exercises Can Someone Do At Home During This Pandemic?

As much as I want to go to the gym, I'm still having hesitations. Any suggestions on what exercises can someone do at home during this pandemic?

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: What Exercises Can Someone Do At Home During This Pandemic?

I was an OrangeTheory member prior to this so when they released DAILY FREE online classes, it's too good to pass up. I've been doing them since March and while the music does suck, they're a great 35-50 minute workout every day. And it's free, which I don't understand how they're pulling that off still.

https://www.orangetheory.com/en-us/athome/

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    I was an OrangeTheory member prior to this so when they released DAILY FREE online classes, it's too good to pass up. I've been doing them since March and while the music does suck, they're a great 35-50 minute workout every day. And it's free, which I don't understand how they're pulling that off still.

https://www.orangetheory.com/en-us/athome/
    It's cause the in person classes are so damn expensive lol.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Ninja

I use a TRX system 2-3 times a week and it has been fantastic.

Aside from that, you can get a decent overall workout just doing bodyweight exercises. Tons of youtube videos out there that will set you on the right path.

Dobber Sports Ninja

One thing i did at the start of the pandemic was a buddy and I had a bit of a "challenge" thing going on, where we would hold each other accountable for doing 5 sets of pushups (with personal goals on how many per set) and an ab circuit workout per day (again with personal goals on the difficulty).

We would message each other throughout the day to update each other and keep each other motivated to make sure we stayed on top of it.

Admittedly, we have completely forgotten about that 7 months in now, but it was actually working for a solid 3-4 months.

If you have a bit of open space and solid ground, some HIIT workouts would be good to do IMO. Relatively quick, and keeps the burn going after you workout.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by rowcarmine View Post
    As much as I want to go to the gym, I'm still having hesitations. Any suggestions on what exercises can someone do at home during this pandemic?
    I have managed to workout around 4 times every week during this pandemic and I have been seeing good results. I like to do the workout in the middle of the afternoon to break up my workday. My recommendations are as follows:

1. Kettlebell - If you can buy a kettlebell, you can do the Simple & Sinister program (I started off with 35, now at 50 lbs) - That has been my staple for the whole pandemic. Only about 2 days a week as I like to mix it up, but I started off doing it 5 days week (book recommends 7 days). You can buy the book on a kindle for cheap, or just google it. There are also endless other routines you can do.

2. Jump rope - About the past two months I got into jump ropes. Great for cardio and overall fitness. If you live in an apartment, make sure you get mat as it can scrape the floors if not. Same goes with the Kettlebells

3. Pull-up bar - Great for the back, etc.

4. Cardiovascular Exercising - There a ton of different workouts you can do just with your body weight. If you want to get in shape and fatigue resistance, then burpees are king. These workouts become more of a metal exercise as you will want to give up. I follow a Youtuber Iron Wolf (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBU...82QOfidtpNRQww), a marine that does absolutely savage workouts. Pick any of them and try (at much lower quantities). I started off with a full body (20 jacks, 20 push-ups, 20 squats/20 lunges, 20 burpees, 20 flutter kicks). I managed to do it 4 times with breaks between sets. Absolutely killed me.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    It's cause the in person classes are so damn expensive lol.
    Very true but no different than F45 or a lot of other classes like that. I actually think it was cheaper than F45.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    One thing i did at the start of the pandemic was a buddy and I had a bit of a "challenge" thing going on, where we would hold each other accountable for doing 5 sets of pushups (with personal goals on how many per set) and an ab circuit workout per day (again with personal goals on the difficulty).

We would message each other throughout the day to update each other and keep each other motivated to make sure we stayed on top of it.
    This was something that I was doing as well but ya, it has fallen off big time.

Over the years I have found once i get into a groove with working out at a certain time, I am good to go. It used to be going on my way home from work. Right now it's wake up and workout, although it'll get harder as the days get colder.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I'm in my 40s now.
    I have a very simple regime for staying in moderate shape (small dad-tummy, but definitely not chubby).

1. Eat properly. There's so many things that we ate as kids/teens that need to go. Sodas absolutely. Beer, ditch it. Juices, gone. Drink lots of water. Fill your fridge with good items like fruit, nuts, nothing wrong with meats in moderation.
    2. Pushups. I don't do many. I do 21 a few times a week where I can find time... and there's not much as a dad. But it's just enough to keep my shoulders & chest noticeably wider than my waste... and this makes a man look good.
    3. Standing Elbow-to-knee crunch. I do 100 of these a few times a week, usually at same time as pushups. These don't hurt my back & spine like floor exercises and they feel right on my hips & tummy & butt for staying in shape there.
    4. Go on a walk. (As we age, running is tough on knees... but a good brisk walk... with some pace where you feel like it, is good. If you can, find a place with some hills of various incline. Fresh air does a body good.

That's it for me... and it feels... right.

Best advice for being in GREAT shape came from a buddy who was taking Kinesiology at Waterloo when I was in engineering.
    "Seven vigorous minutes of workout a day... and good eating... will keep somebody in INCREDIBLE shape... but most people can't find the motivation and space for those 7 minutes".
    He's right... I haven't gotten myself to commit to it... just too hard.

But... if one can... this shit (below)... will do everything without equipment (I've done in 5-10 times over past 5 years... but it was too hard for me to commit to fully - if I'm honest):
    +...it's got some fun video-gamy graphics and old school music!!!

Dobber Sports Ninja

Great tips Pengwin - pretty much whatever you can do consistently, even if it's only a little, is best.

Running is actually good for your knees though - as long as you build up to it.

The diet portion is something I constantly struggle with. I don't eat all that unhealthy overall, but I simply don't eat enough, and it's resulted in some injuries over the years.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Thanks.
    I should clarify on "bad for your knees".

For people that are constant runners... no problem.
    So... yes... "as long as you build up to it" - is very important/critical.
    Strongly agree. Good point.

Usually when people are ASKING about exercising (i.e. this thread)... it suggests they are probably out of shape and overweight at point of questioning.
    Problem for people asking... is that they are usually carrying too much weight for what their knees can handle on a few runs.
    All parts of the body are conditioned for what a person HAS been doing... (not knowing, obviously, what a person WANTS or INTENDS to do).
    [Same thing as somebody picking up a guitar for the first time. Your fingers need some calluses before you can play for 3 hours.]

Dobber Sports Ninja

Fair points - you're right!

Dobber Sports Padawan

Keep it simple. > Planking and pushups are the two best home exercises you can do.

Administrator

youtube -> power yoga (or anything else, I just find yoga does a lot for joint health)
    get some free weights and bench to work your upper-body
    Resistance bands can be helpful too

Depending on your home layout you can do short sprints. I live in an open-concept home and have 10m of space in my basement. During baseball season I practice my acceleration there.

The best one - go for walks. Explore your city/area. I'm doing it with zero concern about coming into contact with other people.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Veteran

P90X - it works if you do.