Thread: Projecting Keepers for 2021-22

Dobber Sports Newbie

Default Projecting Keepers for 2021-22

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster here. Like many of you, Covid-19 threw an absolute wrench into my championship aspirations this past season, and couldn’t have come at a worse time as I had just sold the farm at the trade deadline to make a run at a title. On paper I had the best team in my league, having traded away the bulk of my picks for next year for guys to get me through the playoffs. Clearly it was not meant to be.

Our league is now heading into our 12th season and it’s pretty competitive, so if I am being realistic it means that my next chance to go for a championship won’t come until 2021-2022 as I am too thin on draft picks this upcoming year to compete with the big boys. It’s a limited keeper league where you can keep one player at each position and one “rookie” (defined as having less than 110 games played on the start of the new season). Positional eligibility is determined by Yahoo so I have a ton of flexibility in moving guys around.

My roster is as follows (additional positions in brackets):
    C: Barkov, Zibanejad, Seguin (RW), Couture, Kopitar
    LW: Draisaitl (C), M. Tkachuk (RW), E. Kane, Teravainen (RW)
    RW: P. Kane, Wheeler (C), Wilson, Lindholm (C)
    D: Barrie, Yandle, Ekblad, Giordano
    G: Hellebuyck, Blackwood, Varlamov, Mrazek
    Bench: Getzlaf, Namestnikov, Buchnevich

The thing I am struggling with is projecting the best player at each position for the 2021-22 season. Obviously Draisaitl (LW), Barrie (D), Hellebuyck (G) are locks. I feel like P Kane is the right RW, although in 2021-22 his value will be coming down while other guys like M Tkachuk are on the rise. My thought is that Kane’s trade value this season may be enough to net me a stud RW of the future, and if no trade materializes, I’m happy to have him for my next championship run. Blackwood is my default rookie keeper.

I’m leaning towards Barkov at center and Ekblad as my second defenseman but thought I would post on here to see if there is a better strategy, or if you guys would shake anything up with my forward group.

10 team head-to-head league with the following cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, GWG, SOG, W, SV%, SHO.

Our league is also contemplating allowing one offseason trade per team, in which case I would look to upgrade my second defenseman slot, but I’m not counting on that happening as there has been quite a bit of pushback at the offseason trade idea.

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Projecting Keepers for 2021-22

Welcome to the forum! I was a newbie last year (to forum, not to hockey), and browsing others’ ideas is sometimes enlightening - both good and w-o-w.....

With your lineup, easy to agree Draisaitl and Hellebuyck. Barrie, with his new signing, sure. As of ‘21-22, I think Matthew Tkachuk over Patrick Kane (yeah, I say that, but traded FOR Kane in my dynasty league, so it’s close). Center, would strongly consider Zibanejad - the Rangers are going nowhere but up. As to the 2nd defenseman, you can do better than what you have. Sometime after this season starts (pause for prayer here), and the contenders sort themselves out, make an offer of one of your RW, or C, or even both !! to get Heiskanen, or Dahlin, or Fox, or Pietrangelo. Sounds nuts now, sure, but at your trade deadline you may get your “A” defenseman and a decent pick too. P. Kane and Barkov at the deadline? Some GM will sell his soul.
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Novice

Zibanejad over barkov, no question. zib could be a top 10 overall this season. Barkov, maybe a top 20 to 30
    Non-Cap League: 10 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 16 of 26 Roster; G A Pts PPP +/- SOG HIT BLK // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G(max 4), 6 Bench, 1-IR

Current Keepers:
    Kucherov(R) Zibanejad(CR) Eichel(C) Couturier(C) Schenn(CL) Mantha(RL) Wilson(R) E.Kane(L) Dubois(CL) Boeser(R) Fiala(CLR) Bjorkstrand(RL)
    Makar

Hart
    Bobrovsky Jarry

Rest of Roster:
    Yamomoto(RC) Olofsson(RL) Backlund(C) Foligno(LR) Brown(RL)
    Doughty Fox Ristolainen Edler
    Fleury

Blue = Bubble Players

Dobber Sports Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by flagellum View Post
    Zibanejad over barkov, no question. zib could be a top 10 overall this season. Barkov, maybe a top 20 to 30
    Thanks for the replies guys. While I agree that Zibanejad has that potential this season, I'm more concerned with production levels in 2021-22 and beyond. Zibanejad is 2.5 years older than Barkov and will turn 29 in the 21-22 season.

Both guys are Band-aid boy trainees, with Zib playing 80+ games in 3 of his last 6 seasons and Barkov playing 80+ only once in his career (although he did put up 79 GP one year). So while injury history isn't great with either player, I think it favours Zib slightly.

As far as linemates, Barkov played heavily at even strength with a stud on his wing in Huberdeau, as well as Dadonov who could end up wearing a different sweater next season. Zibanejad's most common linemates were Kreider and Buchnevich. In two seasons the emergence of Kakko and Lafreniere could certainly boost the talent Zib has on his flanks, not to mention the PP time and occasional EV shifts he gets with Panarin.

It feels like I'm talking myself into taking Zib, especially if Dadonov and/or Hoffman end up signing elsewhere.