Thread: Inaugural Draft- Goalie Strategy? REP

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Inaugural Draft- Goalie Strategy? REP

Hi folks, I'm absolutely positive this has been asked before but for the life of me, I can't find a threat, so I'm here to ask all you wonderful folk your thoughts.

In short, I'm in a new dyansty with 24 teams, 20 active spots (4 bench) and a deep 28 minor system. We are in the middle of our prospect draft right now (less than 120gp/60gp for goalies) which is going nicely, happy with my prospects so far, but next month will be the Inaugural, and I'm wondering when you guys would go for a goalie in a deep league like this?

To put into some perspective some big goalie names have already gone, Shesty, Samsonov, Sorokin, Elvis and Demko who could all get some good playing time next year, I managed to pick up Alex Nedeljkovic who could also get some playing time, so I'm happy with that.

Here are the details:
    • 24 teams
    • 2 Goalie Active Positions
    • 3 Minimum starts per week
    • Based off of last years starts there are 12 goalies in the top 100 players (Hellebuyck, Vasi, Rask, Price, Andersen, Binnington, Markstrom, Blackwood, Bishop, Fleury, Lehner and Rittich) with Varlamov & Crawford just missing out.
    • Goalie Pts are scored as followed: Assists (3), GA (-3), Losses (-1.5), Saves (0.5), Shutouts (5), Wins (3.5) but you can see all the scoring here

As you can imagine, I'm a bit worried about goalies going out quick, just going to the 24th best goalie, they were only about 50 points from being in the top 100 players (Kuemper), so goalies are pretty important. What would you be your strategy here, I'm picking 21st overall, so I will be back around again at pick 28. My thinking is to go for a goalie with the 28, I can pick another in maybe the third round to ensure I get 2 solid number of games (unless you think Ned would work for my 2nd goalie). Streaming while permitted, we only get a couple of free agency pickups a week so makes it tough, and honestly I imagine all the goalies are going to go by the end of the draft.

So two questions I guess
    1. Should I be picking up a goalie with my 1st or 2nd round pick (21/28) and if not, when?
    2. What goalies should I be looking at? (I'm thinking Vasi/Helle will not be there) so I'd consider Hart?

Thanks!
    Team One (Mercenaries Of Mandalore) 24T Dynasty, 4LW/RW/C, 6D, 2G, 4B - G, A1, A2, PPG, PPA, SHP, SOG, FOW, FOL, TK, GV, HIT, BLK, FT, ||| W, L, GA, SV, SHO, A

Team Two (Hamilton Tigers) 16T Dynasty - 3LW/RW/C, 6D, 2G, 6B - G, A, PPP, SHP, SOG, BLK, HIT, FOW| W, L, GA, SV, SHO, A

Click here for my teams (not up to date)

Links are too a google document.

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Inaugural Draft- Goalie Strategy? REP

So yeah, I feel that having a top tier goalie is probably worth pick 28.... but after that I’d wait. There aren’t going to be 24 top tier guys, and after GK #1, I’d be very selective. A young forward who’s with you for years will be way more valuable than a 31-to-34 year old GK#2. In your prospect draft, guys like Melnichuk or Konovalov or Oettinger or Husso?? Probably worth more than taking Rask (!!) in round 3, if he retires after 2021.
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Prodigy

We did so far

2 - Vasilevski
    7 - Hellebuyck
    13 - Hart
    16 - Binnington
    20 - Lehner
    24 - Shesterkin
    30 - Blackwood
    32 - Bobrovsky
    40 - Samsonov
    44 - Andersen

46 - Gibson
    50 - Sorokin
    51 - Markstrom
    55 - Saros
    59 - Jarry
    68 - Price
    72 - Kuemper
    74 - Demko
    82 - Petersen
    87 - Bishop

88 - Merzlikins
    98 - Grubauer
    99 - Murray
    103 - Holtby
    110 - Korpisalo
    114 - Rask
    120 - Rittich
    125 - Fleury
    130 - Askarov
    216 - Oettinger

221 - Georgiev
    231 - Knight
    233 - Mrazek
    247 - Stalock
    248 - Lundqvist
    269 - Varlamov
    272 - Ullmark
    281 - Annunen
    282 - Koskinen
    308 - Francouz
    Ice Cap Hockey League, 32 teams, salary cap dynasty. Est. 2020. Commish.
    Global Fantasy League, 32 teams, salary cap dynasty. Est. 2022. Commish.
    BHL, 12 teams dynasty. Est. 2010. Commish.
    SSHL, 10 teams dynasty. Est. 2020.
    JHL, 32 teams, salary cap dynasty. Est. 2023.

Yearly best ball league player.

Dobber Sports Stud

Husso was higher-rated in Blues organization than Binnington before the magic season. Would be my next. Binnington is no guarantee for next 3 years, and Husso will get his chance.
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Demi-God

OMG... start 2G in a 24-team league... just no.
    Who set that up?
    Ooof.

Well - goalies should be HEAVILY valued.
    It's going to make people pay a King's Ransom for a starting goalie once they see how the scoring plays out.

I'd go HARD in on a volume-starter with an inferior back-up.
    Then I'd make sure I get the handcuff.
    And later in draft I'd try to get that team's 3rd/4th youth goalies.
    Make sure you get all the wins from your two "TEAMS".

That's how I would do it.
    (but, GMs will learn, start 2G in a 24-team league makes goalies INSANELY valuable... and it will eventually ruin your fun factor...)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    OMG... start 2G in a 24-team league... just no.
    Who set that up?
    Ooof.

Well - goalies should be HEAVILY valued.
    It's going to make people pay a King's Ransom for a starting goalie once they see how the scoring plays out.

I'd go HARD in on a volume-starter with an inferior back-up.
    Then I'd make sure I get the handcuff.
    And later in draft I'd try to get that team's 3rd/4th youth goalies.
    Make sure you get all the wins from your two "TEAMS".

That's how I would do it.
    (but, GMs will learn, start 2G in a 24-team league makes goalies INSANELY valuable... and it will eventually ruin your fun factor...)
    it was unanimously voted on by everyone except me lol. A lot of the good young goalies have gone (husso etc) my goalies I got are Ned, Saville and Ersson at the moment,
    Team One (Mercenaries Of Mandalore) 24T Dynasty, 4LW/RW/C, 6D, 2G, 4B - G, A1, A2, PPG, PPA, SHP, SOG, FOW, FOL, TK, GV, HIT, BLK, FT, ||| W, L, GA, SV, SHO, A

Team Two (Hamilton Tigers) 16T Dynasty - 3LW/RW/C, 6D, 2G, 6B - G, A, PPP, SHP, SOG, BLK, HIT, FOW| W, L, GA, SV, SHO, A

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Brad View Post
    So yeah, I feel that having a top tier goalie is probably worth pick 28.... but after that I’d wait. There aren’t going to be 24 top tier guys, and after GK #1, I’d be very selective. A young forward who’s with you for years will be way more valuable than a 31-to-34 year old GK#2. In your prospect draft, guys like Melnichuk or Konovalov or Oettinger or Husso?? Probably worth more than taking Rask (!!) in round 3, if he retires after 2021.
    Yeah, all 4 of those are gone already, I got Nedeljkovic, Saville and Ersson as my goalies with a couple more possibly looking at.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Lol - your thread jumped at me like "hey I'm in the exact same situation". And then I realized it was you Hope you don't mind if I read along. I actually happened to land on one of your other threads too because the topic jumped at me - but I made sure to not snipe you in the draft because of it.

To answer your question: I don't think you can tell in advance which pick you should use for your first G. You'd rather have to decide first if you're willing to take some risk and jump on the train once (whenever) the goalie run has started or if you want to be on the safe side and pick a top G early and maybe start the goalie run in the process.

Given you're not owning a young top G from our prospect draft (but Makar you sonofa..), I would do the second thing and certainly not wait longer than till your 28th pick, simply because you're not picking for quite a while after that and I can't imagine that really good Gs are to be had at the end of round 3 still. You might risk it, but I wouldn't. In your shoes at your slot I'd grab a top fwd at 21 and a G at 28. (You already have a top D you sonofa...
    24 team H2H dynasty, fantasy points, no cap
    Skaters: G 4.5 (5 for Ds), A 3, PPG 1.5 (2 for Ds), PPA 1 (1.5 for Ds), SHP 2, Ft 2, HIT 0.6, BLK 0.6, SOG 0.3 (0.4 for Ds), FW 0.1, Tk 0.5 // Gv -0.3
    Goalies: W 3.5, SHO 5, SV 0.5, A 3 // GA -3, L -1.5
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 4BN, 4IR

C: McDavid, MacKinnon, Hischier
    LW: B.Tkachuk, Ovechkin, Paul(C), Jones
    LW/RW: Meier, Fiala, Giroux(C), Niederreiter
    RW: Reinhart, Anderson
    D: Josi, Matheson, Durzi, Moser, Cernak, Zadorov, Siegenthaler
    G: Daccord, Merzlikins, Vanecek, Pickard

44 minors; most noteables: A.Schmid, E.Andrae, M.Kesselring, S.Malinski, B.Pachal, L.Bichsel, E.Soderblom,...

Dobber Sports Genius

This is a bit of hyperbole but... with each and every pick I would take a goalie then hold them all for ransom then trade them for players.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Apprentice

The idea isn't bad Moses (but evil ) but there's a rule in this league that we're not allowed to draft more than 3 veteran goalies (veteran = more than 60 games played). This is why guys like Sestyorkin, Sorokin, Samsonov, Elvis, Demko, etc were so valueable in the prospect draft where there was no G limit...
    24 team H2H dynasty, fantasy points, no cap
    Skaters: G 4.5 (5 for Ds), A 3, PPG 1.5 (2 for Ds), PPA 1 (1.5 for Ds), SHP 2, Ft 2, HIT 0.6, BLK 0.6, SOG 0.3 (0.4 for Ds), FW 0.1, Tk 0.5 // Gv -0.3
    Goalies: W 3.5, SHO 5, SV 0.5, A 3 // GA -3, L -1.5
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G, 4BN, 4IR

C: McDavid, MacKinnon, Hischier
    LW: B.Tkachuk, Ovechkin, Paul(C), Jones
    LW/RW: Meier, Fiala, Giroux(C), Niederreiter
    RW: Reinhart, Anderson
    D: Josi, Matheson, Durzi, Moser, Cernak, Zadorov, Siegenthaler
    G: Daccord, Merzlikins, Vanecek, Pickard

44 minors; most noteables: A.Schmid, E.Andrae, M.Kesselring, S.Malinski, B.Pachal, L.Bichsel, E.Soderblom,...