Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: [Trade] Nate Schmidt to Vancouver for 2022 3rd round pick

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: [Trade] Nate Schmidt to Vancouver for 2022 3rd round pick

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    In your mind is this a better get than Barrie?
    I don't think any D-signing can be made as comparable to Barrie.

Barrie (his agent) likely considered those EDM PP numbers and thinking: "If I put up 25-30ppp... I'll score 50+pts again... and if I score 50+pts... I can get myself 6x$6m+".
    So... it's not like ANY D-contract compares to Barrie/EDM... because that's a self-serving attempt (IMO) by Barrie to secure that ONE.BIG.CONTRACT that serves him for the rest of his life.
    Make no mistake, though. That's not a fair comparable - what Barrie is playing for. He's using that EDM PP points as his vaulting board to a huge contract.

(Hall is going to do similar.)

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by jdreed3184 View Post
    If you're the GM in Vegas, which would you rather have: Schmidt at $5.9 for 5 years (age 33) or Pietrangelo at $8.8 for 7 years (age 37)?

Pietrangelo is a superior talent but is the talent gap worth the extra term and price? Strategically, I think I would have kept Schmidt.

Regardless of how poorly or well Benning has managed the offseason as a whole, when you get the opportunity to acquire Schmidt for a 3rd rounder, it's a good day.
    Honestly, this was my mindset too. I mean, all of you guys that are in cap leagues have to deal with this kind of decision making all the time. Is the price increase really worth the gain, + the long-term issues it will cause.

I guess it's all a moot point if Vegas wins the cup next year. They've been right there a couple times now.

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    Where is the $$ coming from for this?
    My thoughts exactly lmao. Odds are there are more moves coming but I honestly don't know how they would fit anyone external at this point. Virtanen is already likely to get $3m and they have just under $2m of cap space available, with Gaudette left to sign as well. Ferland has also said he intends on trying to play this season so there won't be any LTIR relief unless he suffers another setback (which i'm sure we're all hoping doesn't happen because we're not shitty human beings).

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I don't think any D-signing can be made as comparable to Barrie.

Barrie (his agent) likely considered those EDM PP numbers and thinking: "If I put up 25-30ppp... I'll score 50+pts again... and if I score 50+pts... I can get myself 6x$6m+".
    So... it's not like ANY D-contract compares to Barrie/EDM... because that's a self-serving attempt (IMO) by Barrie to secure that ONE.BIG.CONTRACT that serves him for the rest of his life.
    Make no mistake, though. That's not a fair comparable - what Barrie is playing for. He's using that EDM PP points as his vaulting board to a huge contract.

(Hall is going to do similar.)
    Agreed. If i'm not mistaken he actually turned down more money elsewhere to go to Edmonton, likely for this VERY reason.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Guru

Gotta wonder if Ferland is set to be on the LTIR for awhile. That clears some space (although creates another hole in the top 9). I've seen a lot of Benning talk about Hoglander--perhaps they're anticipating he'll step right in?

And I won't be surprised if they pay a team like Detroit or Arizona to take their cap issues away.
    Pair Eriksson (who's cap hit is more than his pay I believe) with a pick and prospect and... ta da!... cap space again.
    Points-only, Full Keeper Dynasty League
    Active roster (no starts, just total points): 12 FW, 6 D, 1 Goalie

Forwards: Kucherov, Barkov, Teravainen, Seguin, Hoffman, Lindholm, Gusev, Horvat, Meier, Perron, Schwartz, Johansen, Pavelski, Buchnevich, Hischier, Granlund, Bracco

Defense: Josi, Dahlin, Letang, Gostisbehere, Ekman-Larsson, Petry, Slavin, Keith, Matheson

Goal: Lehner, Holtby, Varlamov

Farm: Soderstrom, York, Woo, Tracey, Dorofeyev

Dobber Sports Ninja

Can i say again how much the Luongo cap recapture penalty really sucks?

$3m just down the drain...goddamn.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    Schmidt was a fantastic add. Way to stick it to the team who put themselves in a bad spot by spending too much money. A 3rd for a Top 4 D is larceny.
    I don't know why they didn't buy out Eriksson - that would have saved them $1.3 million. Maybe they can LTIR Ferland? Benn, Beagle, Sutter, Baertschi - all contracts that they would like to make disappear. Tough to do.
    You can save $1M buy burying Eriksson in the AHL, so makes more sense to bury then to buyout.

I am still slightly surprised you cant get someone to take Sutter at 50% for 1 year, I figure that someone would consider him useful enough for that.

The cap space question depends on if Ferland will be on LTIR, but I heard he will be ready to give it another go in training camp.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    I like this add. In your mind is this a better get than Barrie? Also to truly be successful this offseason I think we need to get at least two more pieces. Top 6 forward. Hoffman, Dadanov or Grandlund and another D hopefully Vatanen.
    100%. Schmidt plays D.

Agree - they need another D.
    more than a top 6 forward they need to shed some of that 14m wasted on Beagle, Sutter, Eriksson & revamp that entire bottom 6. Until that is accomplished it won't matter how good their best players are.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Pro

Canucks will have to bribe a team like Ottawa or Detroit to take salary. They need to sign JV plus another bottom 6 D
    IDHL League 28 team H2H league multicat full keeper
    Rebuilding

Cooley, Guenther, Hoglander, Lundell, Quinn, Voronkov, Stankoven, Carlsson

Hutson, Zellweger, Clarke, Miller, Xhekai, Malinski, Thrun

Skinner, Dostal, Hofer

Beck, Bolduc, Dumais, Gaucher, Gunler, Pervalov
    Ufko, Benning, Del Mastro, Peart, Grudinin

Dobber Sports Master

schmidt and ekholm are two of my fav low maintenance D in the league

Dobber Sports Star

in a vacuum, good move for vancouver as this improves their Dcorps. I am pleased with the move and ive pretty much accepted that the canucks will be worse this year. They have too many bad contracts from their mistakes a few years ago and im fine with this being an odd transition year in order for edler, sutter, sven, benn and pearson to go off the books (luongo recapture, eriksson, roussel and beagle the year after) without sacrificing more assets for short term gain and preparing for the expansion draft. Most of that money will go to petey next year but there should still be space to make some moves.
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Dobber Sports Immortal

No surprise here.