Thread: Shesterkin or Sorokin...I need some help...

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Shesterkin or Sorokin...I need some help...

I have Vasilevskiy, and I an open spot heading into my Auction Draft. I can either try and acquire Shesterkin via trade, or try and nab Sorokin at the Auction Draft.
    I am imagining the trade route would get expensive, asset wise, but with all the fanfare around Sorokin being more mature, and stepping into a Barry Trotz smothering defensive minded team in Long Island, he could go for more money than rookies typically do.

PROS - Shesterkin: He has been very impressive at every level, and in his smallish sample size in NY. That coupled with a great young team, and he looks to be the real deal.
    CONS - The GM would be looking to hit a home run in a trade, addressing multiple needs, and Shesty is also at leage minimum salary in our cap league, which is great value.

PROS - Sorokin: Plays in Trotz's system, ready for the next step, more mature, will only cost auction draft money.
    CONS - Could go for quite a bit at auction draft.

Who do you want? and what is your advice given my situation?
    'To be is to do' - Socrates....'To do is to be '- Sartre..........
    'To do be do be do' - Sinatra.

15 Team Keeper League - 20 roster spots (4C 4L 4R 6D 2G)
    Point Categories - G A +/- PIMS GAA SV%
    Protect 13-15 *$80 Team cap

C - Bergeron, Zibanejad,
    L - Connor, Marchand, Olofsson
    R - Nylander, Wheeler, Gallagher, Rust
    D - Carlson, Josi, Nurse
    G - Vasilevskiy

The Great One

Default Re: Shesterkin or Sorokin...I need some help...

You are treating this like these two goalies are the only two possible targets you can have, and they will both cost a fortune (either to trade for, or at draft).

My hunch is that neither will provide great value, once you account for cost of acquistion.

Dobber Sports Initiate

I see your point, but with goaltending being very valuable in my pool, getting a good young keeper, cheap, who can put up great numbers is the road to being a perennial contender. If you have great goaltending, you can find players to round out the roster and be very successful. I don't doubt that I can find another goalie, who can be decent, and clearly that may the way I go, but I wanted to get some others thoughts on if either of these goalies are still worth the potential price tags.

C - Bergeron, Zibanejad,
    D - Carlson, Josi, Nurse
    G - Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Titan

Probably not worth the price tag. If you need a really cheap option look into Saros, Petersen, Stalock, and/or Francouz.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

The Great One

I cannot speak to the value/cost of goalies in your league, but if you are asking me to choose between Shesterkin and Sorokin, as things stand right now I am choosing the Shesterkin. Sorokin may be the better goalie (I really can't say), and playing in Trotz' system may be beneficial for goalies, but unless the Islanders deal Varlamov (which is highly unlikely, as I will explain later), Sorokin is going to be in a 1A/1B situation.

I suppose one might argue that Georgiev is a threat to Shesterkin, but I'm less worried about him than Varlamov. Varlamov has a high salary, which means he will be difficult to trade and (fairly or not) that salary likely earns him an opportunity to play. Plus, even if Trotz' system favors goalies, it also favors tandems. Also, Varlamov is going to be a really good mentor to have on the team for Sorokin as he adjusts to the NHL and North America. Bottom-line, I don't think Varlamov will be traded, and with him on the team, I prefer Shesterkin.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Grand Master

If you trade for Shesterkin, does that proclude you from bidding on Sorokin? If it does, then if you get Sorokin, you either don't have a problem, or have a piece to trade for Shesterkin, correct?
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    If you trade for Shesterkin, does that proclude you from bidding on Sorokin? If it does, then if you get Sorokin, you either don't have a problem, or have a piece to trade for Shesterkin, correct?
    I currently have Vasilevskiy. There are only 2 roster spots for goaltenders, so while I am in a great position, already having an elite tender, I like the idea of adding one of these 2 guys, for long term piece of mind. Truth is, there should be a number of goaltenders at the auction draft, and if it looks like Sorokin's salary gets bid up too high, than I have no issues with bidding on one of the decent goalies available. Having Vasilevskiy gives me the option as he will be the horse for my team, and my 2nd goalie can be a backup type, or a platoon situation, its all good.

C - Bergeron, Zibanejad,
    D - Carlson, Josi, Nurse
    G - Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Puckhead View Post
    I currently have Vasilevskiy. There are only 2 roster spots for goaltenders, so while I am in a great position, already having an elite tender, I like the idea of adding one of these 2 guys, for long term piece of mind. Truth is, there should be a number of goaltenders at the auction draft, and if it looks like Sorokin's salary gets bid up too high, than I have no issues with bidding on one of the decent goalies available. Having Vasilevskiy gives me the option as he will be the horse for my team, and my 2nd goalie can be a backup type, or a platoon situation, its all good.
    Okay, given that, inquiring on Shesterkin is perfectly reasonable. If you don't get him at a price you feel works, you simply deal with it at auction. If you get Sorokin or some other golaie tht might work well as a returning piece, then you can revisit, but you know your league best.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Stud

If I have to choose between Shest and Soro NOW

I choose Shesterkin

He is in the NHL, has games played and Henrik is gone

Maybe with the Islander system Sorokin "may" have better career numbers but I want to see him perform at the NHL level.

If given the choice I'd suggest looking at Askarov if you want "upside" or if you really want to take on some risk then Bobrovsky is your man. I reckon most have given up on him... perhaps rightly ? wrongly ? I'd gamble wrongly

caveat in my sim league I have both so I don't have to choose
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

The Great One

Shesterkin has a career backup in Georgiev challenging him whose only been dominant in stretches. He poses virtually no short term risk to his starts. I love me some Sorokin but I wouldnt even bank on the higher side of 50% in the NYI starts prop bet. Varlamov was absolutely dominant behind that defense last year. Hes getting 50% of the starts minimum- and likely the starters share. Look for a Rinne/Saros type situation for the leash to slowly go the other way before coming off completely.

Short version- they may be equally talented but if you need starts you need to take shesterkin...

Dobber Sports Master

varly-greiss literally rotated every game for most of the season . at one point it seemed like varly was going run with it but he couldnt handle the load so they reverted back .if sorokin can knock varlamov off his perch as the 1a and handle the workload , help win the ugly 2-1 games trotz is going to run with him .

he's 25 , not 21 and played a shit-load of khl games so he's ready for #1

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

This coming season is going to be a heavy workload with a lot of games in a short while. Tandems are basically a necessity or at least having a very good backup. Shest and Sorkin's best hope is basically a litter better than a tandem. There's no reason to overwork either one with all the starts.

Would also add that as talented as Igor is, he had to spend time in the AHL. It's perfectly normal to take some time adapting to the new angles. Some guys can figure it out in a couple months like Igor did. Some take longer.

Surprised nobody mentioned Cory Schneider being signed by the Isles. At this point I'd be mildly surprised if Sorokin didn't at least start in the AHL. It would seem like the natural starting position for the team and he can then work his way up based on merit/need.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by HabsBlood View Post
    This coming season is going to be a heavy workload with a lot of games in a short while. Tandems are basically a necessity or at least having a very good backup. Shest and Sorkin's best hope is basically a litter better than a tandem. There's no reason to overwork either one with all the starts.

Would also add that as talented as Igor is, he had to spend time in the AHL. It's perfectly normal to take some time adapting to the new angles. Some guys can figure it out in a couple months like Igor did. Some take longer.

Surprised nobody mentioned Cory Schneider being signed by the Isles. At this point I'd be mildly surprised if Sorokin didn't at least start in the AHL. It would seem like the natural starting position for the team and he can then work his way up based on merit/need.
    Right now, it seems that Schneider is AHL-bound. I know it seems odd for an NHL veteran to play in the AHL, but I was reading that Schneider was a positive influence with his attitude and experience for New Jersey's AHL team when he was playing there while recovering from injury, etc. Schneider is apparently a really nice, humble guy and just wants to play hockey. I'm sure he'd love an opportunity to play in the NHL, but until that happens, he's probably content to play in the AHL, stay in game shape, help Lou out (the Islanders need an AHL goalie), and bide his time.

I don't think Sorokin, at 25 years of age and with loads of KHL experience, is coming to North America to play in the AHL.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    Right now, it seems that Schneider is AHL-bound. I know it seems odd for an NHL veteran to play in the AHL, but I was reading that Schneider was a positive influence with his attitude and experience for New Jersey's AHL team when he was playing there while recovering from injury, etc. Schneider is apparently a really nice, humble guy and just wants to play hockey. I'm sure he'd love an opportunity to play in the NHL, but until that happens, he's probably content to play in the AHL, stay in game shape, help Lou out (the Islanders need an AHL goalie), and bide his time.

I don't think Sorokin, at 25 years of age and with loads of KHL experience, is coming to North America to play in the AHL.
    if Schneiders injuries are behind him I think its going to be a positive situation , especially for Jakub Skarek who will have a vet like Schneids there to mentor him .