Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Taylor Hall is signing with Buffalo Sabres

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Re: Taylor Hall is signing with Buffalo Sabres

But I mean, I basically got laughed out of my hockey group chat, so I don't even know if my take is rooted in reality.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Slick_Clyde View Post
    I think I don't really like this. As a Sabres fan it's good to see splash and big moves, but I really don't think we needed another triple-A forward, even with the cap space we had. Terry and Kim already said they weren't going to go up to the cap anyway, so that made things a little tighter. I was pulling hard for Toffoli to slot in as a middle 6 guy, who is better on defense and who has played center before. I think one of my buddies said it best, that they would rather have 25 goals spread throughout the lineup than just tacked onto the top line. So, sure, Eichel and Hall will be fun to watch, but one line doesn't win games. Then there's the playoffs... yeah, we might make it whenever the next season is, but I would rather be a serious contender than just try for the playoffs and get bounced in the first or second round. Is that really success to some people? As a fan I would want to see someone who can distribute points and who wants to be part of a serious playoff run in 3-4 years, you know?
    Next season starts 1 Jan. It's a one year deal man - they didn't sign him for 7 years or anything. This contract cost them nothing...no picks, no prospects. Just a little money for 1 year.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Titan

Now imagine if he goes off points wise, but Sabres are out of it. If Sabres hold 50% of that deal, I can definitely see someone give up a 1st.

So either the Sabres are getting into the playoffs for $8mill, or for $4mill they just bought a 1st round pick. Or he flops and they can still end up getting something for him because people still see him as Hart Trophy material (just saying he'd be 2.5yrs from that production at that point)
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Now imagine if he goes off points wise, but Sabres are out of it. If Sabres hold 50% of that deal, I can definitely see someone give up a 1st.

So either the Sabres are getting into the playoffs for $8mill, or for $4mill they just bought a 1st round pick. Or he flops and they can still end up getting something for him because people still see him as Hart Trophy material (just saying he'd be 2.5yrs from that production at that point)
    Great point. He's an asset and all it cost them was a little cap space for a season - of which they have plenty. He does have an NTC - but if his self proclaimed desire is to win, I'm sure he'd allow a trade to a contender, right? Light it up all season on Eichels wing then approve a trade to a team that looks poised to win. If this is where his head is - it's a pretty smart move.
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett

IR:

Dobber Sports Rookie

I guess I'd like to see Hall blow up and get flipped for a top pick... I don't understand the gushing about making the playoffs as the end goal in this, though, which is where my hang-up might really be rooted. Right? I want to win a Stanley Cup, or at least an eastern conference championship, not get rocked by a better-built team after we limp into WC1. To some people it seems like that would be enough, "we've made it", you know? Jack's not going anywhere, Skinner's not going anywhere, we have Dahlin, Cozens, Jokiharju, and a goalie like UPL in the pipe. I'm OK with holding off the playoffs for another year or two until we can really lock horns with the big daddies

Dobber Sports Titan

His life is southern Ontario, his agent said he really wanted to play with an elite centre, and money is still a thing. It checks all his boxes, and lets go through what Buffalo did last yr.

First half of the season:
    16-12-7 (39pts). 110GF, 108GA. Pretty decent
    Second Half:
    14-19-1 (29pts). 85GF, 109GA. boo. Lost Olofsson for a portion of this.

They had a dead weight in Skinner, and offense dried up. It's not out of the question to have them in the playoffs next season. Dahlin gets the 3rd yr, full opportunity yr for Olofsson, Skinner might bounce back (ugh). If they upgrade their goaltending with one of the guys on the market still (Martin Jones, CBJ goalie, Does Bob move?)

I personally wouldn't have gone with Buffalo. I would have gone with 6.5mill in Avs, but can't really fault someone who gets an offer like that, by where his future is, and on a team with Eichel.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Rookie

This makes sense, thanks for explaining a little more. I'm not high on Skinner either, but we do have some plus-pieces long-term. The potential to flip Hall if he's willing is what I need to keep considering.

Dobber Sports Deity

This makes sense, thanks for explaining a little more. I'm not high on Skinner either, but we do have some plus-pieces long-term. The potential to flip Hall if he's willing is what I need to keep considering.
    You do realize part of his deal includes a full NTC, NMC right?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    Great point. He's an asset and all it cost them was a little cap space for a season - of which they have plenty. He does have an NTC - but if his self proclaimed desire is to win, I'm sure he'd allow a trade to a contender, right? Light it up all season on Eichels wing then approve a trade to a team that looks poised to win. If this is where his head is - it's a pretty smart move.
    This...
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max

IR:

Dobber Sports Rookie

This...
    This is my understanding as well, as I try to climb on board

Dobber Sports Wizard

i think there is another angle to this that has not been talked about here....Eichel was unhappy, there was talk of him asking for a trade even if everybody denied it, where there is smoke there is fire most of the times....

So they threw lots of money at best Winger out there in hopes that it will at least make Eichel stop whining for a year...or make him whine even more as soon as Hall goes down with yet another injury...

Either way, this deal was made both to help a player and help the organization for one year but nothing beyond that im...
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I guess I'd like to see Hall blow up and get flipped for a top pick... I don't understand the gushing about making the playoffs as the end goal in this, though, which is where my hang-up might really be rooted. Right? I want to win a Stanley Cup, or at least an eastern conference championship, not get rocked by a better-built team after we limp into WC1. To some people it seems like that would be enough, "we've made it", you know? Jack's not going anywhere, Skinner's not going anywhere, we have Dahlin, Cozens, Jokiharju, and a goalie like UPL in the pipe. I'm OK with holding off the playoffs for another year or two until we can really lock horns with the big daddies
    There is no highway to win the stanley cup. Usually contenders don't go from the league bottom 10 year playoff drough directly to winning it all. Everytime you miss the postseason Eichel gets even more unhappy and if he forces his way out you're back in square one.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    You do realize part of his deal includes a full NTC, NMC right?
    While he has a full NTC, NMC, i could actually see it paying off for both parties if he were to get dealt at the deadline. He can stick around in Buffalo and try to put up stupid numbers, and if things take a left turn in Buffalo he can be dealt to a contender and get a chance to compete for a cup later on in the year.

Actually genius move on his part now that i think about it.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    While he has a full NTC, NMC, i could actually see it paying off for both parties if he were to get dealt at the deadline. He can stick around in Buffalo and try to put up stupid numbers, and if things take a left turn in Buffalo he can be dealt to a contender and get a chance to compete for a cup later on in the year.

Actually genius move on his part now that i think about it.
    Wish I'd thought of that...

9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max

IR:

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Yea, all that NMC means to me is that at the deadline he wants to choose his spot, rather than say get flipped to like Calgary and get bounced in the first round.