Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Inaugural draft

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Inaugural draft

Only SV%? That's like asking me to comment directly, as my main league is SV% only. Here's what I can tell you with decades of experience in a league like yours; to be clear, we don't use +/-, and I'm not getting into how G, A and SV% interact - it's a league with unique rules designed by wargamers using easily available boxscore info.

1. You will want to look at Quality Start percentage and the related really bad start percentage. These will give you a measure of how erratic a goalie is.
    2. Avoid teams with high variance hockey that are nominally "good" teams. Avoiding Ottawa is obvious, avoiding the Penguins is not.
    3. I would strongly suggest having a couple solid options, and playing matchups. Strength of opponent varies heavily.
    4. Good backups getting slightly easier starts who traditionally are good a maintaining a good SV% are very helpful. Halak is a great example, there are others.
    5. You can also focus on having a team with a solid system, such as the Islanders, but you still want an extra option if possible.
    6. If you have daily starts, you can sort of manage the SV% category by seeing where you are versus your opponent, especially if you get good starts early.

You are effectively counting Shutouts, since that's a 1.000 SV%, and shutouts are to goalies what +/- is to skaters, except that some skaters do have skills regarding +/-.
    Wins are a team-based stat, that goalies get an oversized amount of credit for, honestly.

I disagree with EB on the Halak/Dreidger tandem thing, because Dreidger was out of nowhere. Don't look for a Dreidger, because you won't find that guy before he shows up.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    I disagree with EB on the Halak/Dreidger tandem thing, because Dreidger was out of nowhere. Don't look for a Dreidger, because you won't find that guy before he shows up.
    Oh I meant Dreidger specifically. I think he's going to be one of the top backups to own this coming season
    But yeah, trying to bet on backups can be a rough ride sometimes.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Oh I meant Dreidger specifically. I think he's going to be one of the top backups to own this coming season
    But yeah, trying to bet on backups can be a rough ride sometimes.
    Ah. I'm not confident in Florida's defense right now, so while I agree he should get an easy schedule, they don't have the SV% track record I'd be targeting.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.