Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stastny to be traded to the Jets?

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Stastny to be traded to the Jets?

https://twitter.com/ScottBilleck/sta...04771348901889

https://twitter.com/WPGMurat/status/1314412153210716160

Sounds like its close a done deal, but not signed sealed and delivered as of right now.

Picks going for Stastny. Vegas shedding salary, probably to make a huge run at Pietrangelo tomorrow.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: Stastny to be traded to the Jets?

Interesting news for Winnipeg!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Monster

I wonder if this extinguishes the Laine trade talk for this season, or would they look at moving him still for a top D maybe>?

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I sort of get this one, sort of don't.
    I don't see Stastny as a contract worth the money.
    And I don't see Stastny as a C2 that will make them a serious contender.

I will say, that if you don't have a C2... there can be this devastational vibe to the lockerroom that the organization didn't give them their best chance to win.
    Sometimes that is as important as anything - and the wrong lockerroom pieces can lead to dejected players. #Buff.
    IDK.

If they straight bail-out VGK from that contract... that's a might big favour, so VGK better be adding a nice draft pick as compensation.

Dobber Sports Titan

Stastny was C1/C2 for a very strong Vegas team, so that debunks your contention point

I see where you're coming from though that there should have been better options at better price points, and though I agree to some extent, there aren't really any Cs on the open market this year, so if you want one you need to overpay in a trade or sign one to an offersheet. I think they're in higher demand than RD right now.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

IDK... I think that Vegas club masked some serious flaws in Stastny's game.
    Mainly - that he doesn't produce much any more.

First, 38pts in 71gp is nothing impressive when you have wingers of VGK quality.
    Second, take away his 5ppa and he had just 16esa.
    That's horrible! HORRIBLE. 16esa in 71gp for a C2 is horrible. (That HAS to be among the worst for NHL C2s last year.)

I can't honestly say I saw much offensive creativity out of him all season.
    I just think the game is too fast for him and he's been one of the NHL players whose stats have been masked by qualify linemates.
    If he plays C2 in Winnipeg, maybe they will stay hidden... LOL... so I could look very wrong if he puts up another 38 token points!!!

But if he gets relegated to a C3 role, for any reason, what do we call him: a 30pt player.
    I don't like it. I don't like Stastny's skill level at this point in his career.
    His playmaking has always been his top quality... and that seems to be like a big poop... halfway down the toilet.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post

First, 38pts in 71gp is nothing impressive when you have wingers of VGK quality.
    That's horrible! HORRIBLE. 16esa in 71gp for a C2 is horrible. (That HAS to be among the worst for NHL C2s last year.)

I just think the game is too fast for him and he's been one of the NHL players whose stats have been masked by qualify linemates.
    If he plays C2 in Winnipeg, maybe they will stay hidden... LOL... so I could look very wrong if he puts up another 38 token points!!!

But if he gets relegated to a C3 role, for any reason, what do we call him: a 30pt player.
    I don't like it. I don't like Stastny's skill level at this point in his career.
    His playmaking has always been his top quality... and that seems to be like a big poop... halfway down the toilet.
    Mark Spector disagrees with you. Not sure if he watches/understands hockey. But he disagrees....

Mark Spector
    @SportsnetSpec
    ·
    4m
    Stastny is such an effective 2C. One of those players with little flash, but does all elements of the game at a high level.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post

Some fair points. I can't say I have specifically watched him at all, but if he's insulated with skilled wingers (which Winnipeg has) then he hasn't been bad in those situations anyways.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Spector IS right about Stastny having "little flash".
    He is wrong about Stastny doing them at a "high level"... no, absolutely not, no chance.
    "Decent level" ok... not "high level".

A lot of hockey media-people are hacks, sorry - strong word - but true.
    These guys also have to "play nice" with all their comments - because those comments DO leak out to players... and it's hard to get an interview if you've bashed a player.

BTW - the tweet... is actually with regard to a colleague at Sportsnet's article.
    So... you can figure out what the right thing he was supposed to say!!!

[btw - sorry, re-reading my post... it is coming off a bit abrasive... but that's not my intended tone. I love all you guys... just don't like trading for a soon-to-be-35yr-old Paul 16esa Stastny!]

Dobber Sports Titan

^No worries Peng.
    I quoted it because there was a post in between and it makes it clear which post I'm discussing.

I get that you don't like Stastny, and I went to check him out in FrozenTools. He had an unlucky season for percentages, and a low offensive zone start % relative to his team (third lowest with only non-regulars like Pirri and Cousins below him). He did very well in Corsi and that was against a slightly elevated quality of competition. So the underlying numbers show him in a positive light.

I do agree that as a 35-year old with only one year left on his deal is not the best way for them to go, but I also think there were worse options.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I don't know what I'm talking about.. (who does?).. but they should offer sheet Cirelli. Keep Laine. See what happens with the chemistry this year.

The Great One

I called Granlund to Winnipeg or Vegas.

With this move Ill say Vegas obviously- lol! If so I think they get yet another underrated reclamation project-mcould be huge for them...

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Wiebe
    Source confirms the #NHLJets have completed the deal with #VegasBorn to acquire C Paul Stastny
    https://twitter.com/WiebesWorld/stat...169354241?s=20

Dobber Sports Veteran

Per Dreger

Pending a trade call, the VGK have traded Paul Statsny to Wpg for a 4th in 2022 and Carl Dahlstrom
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Demi-God

The other theory here is that maybe Chevy has something that needs to stay in Vegas, LOL!

Kidding aside...
    It's not a terrible move for WPG. It's an "adequate" C2 for one season.
    It does - basically - cement the Jets from being in on ANY solid UFA.
    With the $6.5 for Stastny, they seem to be at $77m with 16players. They don't have D6/D7 right now other than the untested Niku (RFA).
    I would really love to see how they get to 23player roster with only $4.5m in cash available!?!?!
    And they've got Roslovic RFA... and though he hasn't done a lot, I'd think he should be given $2.5m-$3m on a bridge.

I think VGK was in such a cap-crunch that the deal should've been much sweeter.