Thread: Is OEL worth his contract?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Is OEL worth his contract?

As a Canuck fan I’m pretty excited about the prospect of him coming over, though others think the back half of the deal will be an albatross. Just curious what the minds on this site think, thanks
    CBS Sportsline H2H 14 team keeper league (keep 14)
    (G, A, Shots, Blocked Shots, PPPs, +/- (no PIMs in our league), W, Sv%, GAA)

C: Pettersson, Aho, Hischier, O’Reilly, Coyle, Novak
    W: Marner, Debrincat, Barzal,
    Kempe, Mittlestadt, Terevainen, P.Kane, Kakko
    D: Pietrangelo, Doughty, Werenski, Dunn, Provorov, York, McNabb
    G: Skinner, Vanacek, UPL

2010-11 & 2018-19 Champs

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Is OEL worth his contract?

I think that Arizona needs to retain a million or so per year and get that cap hit around 7 M. Even if they take Erickson, that 8+ is gonna look very ugly at the end. Vancouver needs to play hardball here.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Genius

OEL's contract ends before he turns 36. You are getting him for ages 29-35. His age is not as awful as you hear being tossed around. I know that this is not a direct comparable, but OEL's contract is very similar to what Jared Spurgeon just signed for. Spurgeon signed with the Wild for 7 x $7.575 and it takes him right up to his 38th birthday.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Ace

I personally would prefer Vancouver passing on him. He's just not that good defensively. OEL's most glaring flaw is his skating, he takes lots of inefficient little steps instead of 1 big push. Defensively this means he's often late attaching to his man. Offensively he has trouble creating separation.
    24 Team Dynasty, H2H , NHL Salaries & Cap 94M$.
    3C , 3R , 3L, 4D, 1SKT, 2G , 4B , 5Farm
    G,A,SPT,HT,BLK,SHOTS,FOW... W,SV,SV%,GAA

C: E.Kuznetsov. B.Neilson, B.Hayton
    LW: J.Huberdeau, J.Kyrou, D.Heinen
    RW: J.Virtanen, V.Hinostraza, E.Tolvanen
    D: C.Makar, T.Chabot, M.Dumba, M.Matheson,
    SKT:C.Sissons
    G: B.Bishop, A.Raanta
    B: A.Anisimov, C.Fischer, T.Pitlick, A.Martinez, N.Zaitsev
    Farm: V.Kravtsov, J.Gauthier, R.Lavoie, I.Konovalov, M.Berdin

2021 picks: 2/1'st , 3/2nd's

Dobber Sports Ace

This is definitely not a contract that I would want - especially since Hughes is the PP1 QB, and, as stated above, OEL isn't a tremendous defender. Vancouver would regret taking this on, I think.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

He's Vancouver's #3 D next year as far as utility goes if they get him, behind Edler & Hughes. They could probably resign Edler for less than $6M after next year to do about as good a job for a couple years, perhaps better, as he's a better defender.

That gives them equivalent production for the years 2-3 of OEL's deal, and they have to trade nobody to do it.

If I'm a NHL GM, I need a sweetener to take that deal, which could be a dump of a worse contract or two.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

For me it's not OEL's contract (which isn't great but it's not horrific) but the cap crunch next year with Petterson and Quinn Hughes' ELC contracts expiring. If OEL comes to Vancouver, they'll most likely lose Boeser next year with his qualifying offer so it's the knock-on effect that's worrisome. Also, Benning has not been good in trades or contracts. He created the cap crunch and I don't think he's capable of getting out of it without sinking the team.
    League 1
    Keep 16 - 4 rookies max 162 GP
    Forwards: Point, Tavares, Svechnikov, Boeser, R Strome, Teravainen, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Tolvanen
    Defencemen: Boqvist, Hamilton, Dahlin, Klingberg, Ekblad, Hronek, Marino, Brannstrom, Shattenkirk
    Goalies: Vasilevsky, Shesterkin,
    Minors: Kravtsov, Tolvanen, Brannstrom

League 2
    Keep 18 - 4 rookies max 162 GP
    Forwards: J Hughes, Kakko, Cozens, Frost, Kubalik, M Tkachuk, Vrana, A Svechnikov, Virtanen, Buchnevich, Gurianov, Tarasenko, Lehkonen
    Defencemen: R Andersson, Jokiharju, Trouba, Valimaki, Cholowski, Leddy, Montour
    Goalies: Saros, Sorokin, Talbot
    Minors: Heponiemi, Krebs, Tippett, Hoglander, Liljegren, Bouchard,

The Great One

Trading for OEL would be stupid for Vancouver. So they’ll probably do it. He’d be a better fit in Boston. But I think he stays in Arizona. No one will (probably rightly so) meet their asking price.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    Trading for OEL would be stupid for Vancouver. So they’ll probably do it. He’d be a better fit in Boston. But I think he stays in Arizona. No one will (probably rightly so) meet their asking price.
    Hopefully he doesn't come to Vancouver. OEL and Hughes are both left-side defencemen so Hughes would have to go to the right, on top of OEL's contract and the resulting train wreck next year for contracts. But Arizona is desperate enough to avoid the cash heavy OEL contract so I think they'll (unfortunately) take Vancouver's offer. I'd rather take Kessel's contract and lose Toffoli and Virtanen.

OEL's contract at 8.25 AAV is not much worse than Myers at 6, for what he brings to the table. But the term is awful and it screws up deals in the future while not addressing the Canucks' need of D on the *right side. Benning is desperate to show ownership he's doing something though.
    League 1
    Keep 16 - 4 rookies max 162 GP
    Forwards: Point, Tavares, Svechnikov, Boeser, R Strome, Teravainen, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Tolvanen
    Defencemen: Boqvist, Hamilton, Dahlin, Klingberg, Ekblad, Hronek, Marino, Brannstrom, Shattenkirk
    Goalies: Vasilevsky, Shesterkin,
    Minors: Kravtsov, Tolvanen, Brannstrom

League 2
    Keep 18 - 4 rookies max 162 GP
    Forwards: J Hughes, Kakko, Cozens, Frost, Kubalik, M Tkachuk, Vrana, A Svechnikov, Virtanen, Buchnevich, Gurianov, Tarasenko, Lehkonen
    Defencemen: R Andersson, Jokiharju, Trouba, Valimaki, Cholowski, Leddy, Montour
    Goalies: Saros, Sorokin, Talbot
    Minors: Heponiemi, Krebs, Tippett, Hoglander, Liljegren, Bouchard,

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by VanDan View Post
    Hopefully he doesn't come to Vancouver. OEL and Hughes are both left-side defencemen so Hughes would have to go to the right, on top of OEL's contract and the resulting train wreck next year for contracts. But Arizona is desperate enough to avoid the cash heavy OEL contract so I think they'll (unfortunately) take Vancouver's offer. I'd rather take Kessel's contract and lose Toffoli and Virtanen.

OEL's contract at 8.25 AAV is not much worse than Myers at 6, for what he brings to the table. But the term is awful and it screws up deals in the future while not addressing the Canucks' need of D on the *right side. Benning is desperate to show ownership he's doing something though.
    Yep.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch