Thread: Dobber Prospect Rankings help (for those that have bought it)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Dobber Prospect Rankings help (for those that have bought it)

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is in the right spot but I'm trying to decipher the Dobber Prospect Rankings and was hoping someone with a little more experience might be able to help me. I've bumped a lot of the tiers up because the basis they make the rankings on is a lot smaller than my league (28 minor spots as opposed to 8-12) 24 teams.
    I'm trying to figure out how I should be ranking the minors.

Right now I've got
    Blue Chip > 1st Few Rounds > Middle Rounds and that's no issue, all of those will go first for me.

But when I start getting towards the end I've got a few options
    Final Round, Potential Star Draft Late and Too Soon (wait until next year).

I'm putting too soon at the bottom, as it's such a big league no doubt some of those will be worth picking up. But what should I do about the final round and potential star, how should I rank these? As an example the likes of Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen is a 'potential star, draft late' but Colin Delia is a final round. Previously I was putting Final Round first, because in another example it would be like Heponiemi (Final Round) or Ivan Morozov (Potential Star) and the obvious choice there is Hep.

Should I just mix those two categories up a little bit? go for who I think is the best potential/3YP?

Thanks in advance
    Team One (Mercenaries Of Mandalore) 24T Dynasty, 4LW/RW/C, 6D, 2G, 4B - G, A1, A2, PPG, PPA, SHP, SOG, FOW, FOL, TK, GV, HIT, BLK, FT, ||| W, L, GA, SV, SHO, A

Team Two (Hamilton Tigers) 16T Dynasty - 3LW/RW/C, 6D, 2G, 6B - G, A, PPP, SHP, SOG, BLK, HIT, FOW| W, L, GA, SV, SHO, A

Click here for my teams (not up to date)

Links are too a google document.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Dobber Prospect Rankings help (for those that have bought it)

It depends on your wants & needs. So yes, mix those categories together, and figure it out.

From your examples: if you want a guy who is very likely to be a NHL backup soon, Delia is your guy. If you want a guy with potentially bigger impact that is farther away, you go with Luukkonen.

I like using Elite Prospects to get a handle on how they done in minors, juniors, and overseas. While you often can't get direct comprables, sometimes you can look at how they've done in the same league in the same year, which helps a bit.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    It depends on your wants & needs. So yes, mix those categories together, and figure it out.

From your examples: if you want a guy who is very likely to be a NHL backup soon, Delia is your guy. If you want a guy with potentially bigger impact that is farther away, you go with Luukkonen.

I like using Elite Prospects to get a handle on how they done in minors, juniors, and overseas. While you often can't get direct comprables, sometimes you can look at how they've done in the same league in the same year, which helps a bit.
    Thanks as always, Steve, pretty much what I ended up going with.

What're your thoughts on Alex Nedeljkovic? I've got my next 2 back to back picks coming up and considering taking as I've got no goalies yet (apart from Nick Malik - still no inaugural)

Here are the few I'm considering
    Alex Nylander
    Tyler Madden
    Alex Nedeljkovic
    Alex Alexeyev
    Jake Bean
    Connor Timmins
    Joe Veleno
    Alex Barre-Boulet
    Team One (Mercenaries Of Mandalore) 24T Dynasty, 4LW/RW/C, 6D, 2G, 4B - G, A1, A2, PPG, PPA, SHP, SOG, FOW, FOL, TK, GV, HIT, BLK, FT, ||| W, L, GA, SV, SHO, A

Team Two (Hamilton Tigers) 16T Dynasty - 3LW/RW/C, 6D, 2G, 6B - G, A, PPP, SHP, SOG, BLK, HIT, FOW| W, L, GA, SV, SHO, A

Quote Originally Posted by JayJJeffery View Post
    Thanks as always, Steve, pretty much what I ended up going with.

What're your thoughts on Alex Nedeljkovic? I've got my next 2 back to back picks coming up and considering taking as I've got no goalies yet (apart from Nick Malik - still no inaugural)

Here are the few I'm considering
    Alex Nylander
    Tyler Madden
    Alex Nedeljkovic
    Alex Alexeyev
    Jake Bean
    Connor Timmins
    Joe Veleno
    Alex Barre-Boulet
    I like him. I've actually seen him play, which is a rarity for a non-Flyers prospect. Did you get the list of available goalies fully sorted out?
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

The Great One

Way back when, I used to download the spead sheet and then create custom rankings with the stats (i.e. assign a certain weight to upside, 3YP, and other stats). Boom, custom rankings.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I like him. I've actually seen him play, which is a rarity for a non-Flyers prospect. Did you get the list of available goalies fully sorted out?
    Goalies worth noting (apologies for the colouring, it's how I've been sorting), this is actually how I have my goalies ranked right now.
    Alex Nedeljkovic
    Ukko-P Lukkonen
    Danil Tarasov
    Dustin Wolf
    Connor Ingram
    Dustin Wolf
    Lukas Dostal
    Ian Scott
    Veini Vehvilainen
    Justus Annunen
    Adam Werner
    Colin Delia
    Pyotr Kochetkov
    Mitchell Gibson
    Olof Lindbom
    Hugo Alnefelt
    Isaiah Saville
    Ivan Nalimov
    Kirill Ustimenko
    Josef Korenar
    Tyler Wall

There are also these guys who have played an NHL game and I didn't mention above (either I haven't yet ranked them or I didn't think they were good enough)
    Chris Driedger
    Marcus Hogberg
    Adin Hill
    Sam Montembeault
    Matiss Kivlenieks
    Charlie Lindgren
    Jonas Johansson
    Anthony Stolarz
    Antoine Bibeau
    Giles Senn

And ALS - that's similar to how I've done it actually, some stuff I left out but pretty similar!

Dustin Wolf is listed twice.

Guys one the last list who could be backups next year:

Dreidger/Monetmbault - I'd bet one of them is Bob's backup.
    Hill - maybe if Arizona moves a goalie.
    Stolarz should be the backup in Anaheim. They have no cap space, and I think he's adequate as a backup. He once was hoped to be the Flyers next starter, but couldn't stay healthy and got passed by Hart.
    Senn and Hogberg are the #3 guys in their systems right now - I'm calling Senn #3, assuming NJ signs somebody to backup.

Guys you seem to be missing, may be gone or not in this draft, no NHL games, but also not in 2020 draft:
    Konovalov - EDM
    Melnichuk - SJ

Full disclosure:
    Konovalov, Melnichuk, Senn, Delia, Werner are currently on a roster of mine. Ustimenko and Stolarz have been at one time.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Dustin Wolf is listed twice.

Guys one the last list who could be backups next year:

Dreidger/Monetmbault - I'd bet one of them is Bob's backup.
    Hill - maybe if Arizona moves a goalie.
    Stolarz should be the backup in Anaheim. They have no cap space, and I think he's adequate as a backup. He once was hoped to be the Flyers next starter, but couldn't stay healthy and got passed by Hart.
    Senn and Hogberg are the #3 guys in their systems right now - I'm calling Senn #3, assuming NJ signs somebody to backup.

Guys you seem to be missing, may be gone or not in this draft, no NHL games, but also not in 2020 draft:
    Konovalov - EDM
    Melnichuk - SJ

Full disclosure:
    Konovalov, Melnichuk, Senn, Delia, Werner are currently on a roster of mine. Ustimenko and Stolarz have been at one time.
    Thanks for the two other goalie options, I ended up taking Nedeljkovic and Tyler Madden, I felt that one of these like Adin Hill will still be available next round and I wanted to get another top prospect in.