Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Taylor Hall

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Taylor Hall

Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post
    you mean like they did for Skinner?

im sure that wont happen again:P
    we all know GM's learn quickly from past mistakes.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    we all know GM's learn quickly from past mistakes.
    not the same GM...
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Oh he’s a Sabre foe the next 9 years. Mark it!

Dobber Sports Ace

Will he really resign in Buffalo? Can't see his motivation to remain there...

https://twitter.com/TheChargingBUF/s...future-in.html
    12 Team H2H Keep 4

2 C, 4 W, 4 D, 2 UTIL, 2 G
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, FW: W, SV%, GAA

C: Barkov, Eichel
    W: Connor
    D:
    G: Sorokin
    ​IR:
    NA:

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Blues_fan1000 View Post
    Will he really resign in Buffalo? Can't see his motivation to remain there...

https://twitter.com/TheChargingBUF/s...future-in.html
    This is a tough one. Despite the Sabres' dismal results, Hall actually hasn't played that badly. But the Sabres are in a real jam now because even though the results between Hall and Eichel haven't been there yet, they almost can't let this experiment fail. There's a significant talent gap between the team's top forwards and the rest of the lot. It was a bit of a coup for the Sabres to land a player of Hall's profile in free agency to begin with, so cutting their losses after 40-56 games or so by either (a) trading him away or (b) allowing him to walk and sign elsewhere, could spell years of the franchise being viewed with a scarlet letter by other high profile free agents -- and it's clear that being able to lure quality free agents is a big part of building a winning franchise these days.

Add to that the fact that, while they've done a pretty good job keeping a lid on the full extent of it yet, it seems pretty clear that Eichel is losing patience, and there's a real recipe for disaster looming. In my view, the Sabres simply cannot afford to lose Eichel. And while that's certainly true from a talent perspective, I think it's even more true from a franchise "heart"/fan perspective. I really don't know how long it would take the franchise fan base to recover from that gut punch. Don't get me wrong, the market is hockey mad and has some of the most loyal fans around, but they've already endured a lot for a long time.

Fairly or not, Eichel was viewed and adopted immediately as a franchise savior before ever playing a game -- more or less on the level of a Perrault or LaFontaine, who are both revered as otherworldly figures among the fanbase. They are teetering on the brink of losing Eichel's allegiance, and I think priority one (again, rightly or wrongly) is doing whatever it takes to appease him right now. That means getting him talent to play with, and Hall fits that bill. So if management thinks keeping Hall is necessary to keep Eichel engaged, they will do whatever it takes to make that happen regardless of what the current results have been.

It's easy to question the wisdom of doing so from an Xs and Os or cap perspective, but that's the thing about pro sports, especially in a passionately loyal small town market like Buffalo -- sometimes those things have to take a backseat to siding with the fans and face of the franchise ... "circling the wagons" so to speak as is often used when it comes to the Buffalo Bills.
    14 Team H2H Dynasty League (14 keepers, no farm)
    Weekly Starts (3C, 5W, 5D, 1Util, 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W+OTL, SV%

C: MacKinnon/Eichel/Kopitar/Couture(IR)/Pinto/Wright
    W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson(IR)/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand/Drouin
    D: Dobson/Trouba(IR)/Mintyukov/Gostisbehere/Martinez(IR)/Edvinsson/York/Gudas
    G: Saros/Demko/Askarov

Dobber Sports Ace

i mean i get that buffalo will do everything the can to keep him, but outside of money, what is Hall's motivation for wanting to stay? He's 29 years old and has bounced around teams that have never really been a Cup contender. Wouldn't he want to go somewhere where he'd actually have a shot at winning? Can't say Buffalo is anywhere near being a contender
    12 Team H2H Keep 4

2 C, 4 W, 4 D, 2 UTIL, 2 G
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, FW: W, SV%, GAA

C: Barkov, Eichel
    W: Connor
    D:
    G: Sorokin
    ​IR:
    NA:

Dobber Sports Veteran

Hard to say, but really the only motivations I can see for him to stay are (a) the money, (b) playing with Eichel (and perhaps Dahlin), and (c) being viewed as one of the main guys, as opposed to a complementary piece. There are certainly places and people he could play with that give him a better shot of winning at the moment, but my purely speculative guess would be that those teams wouldn't (or wouldn't be able to) pay him as much money. And even then, maybe he slots in as a W2, PP1/2 type of guy on those teams rather than top line deployment.

So yeah, I guess in some ways I think it'd have to be ego driven and him wanting big dollars and the chance to play with a top talent, while also being billed in a "co-starring" rather than "featuring" role.

Admittedly though, I have no idea if that's how Hall thinks or what motivates him most at this point in his career.

W: Ovechkin/Toffoli/Necas/Giroux/E.Kane/K.Johnson(IR)/Schmaltz/Bjorkstrand/Drouin

Dobber Sports Veteran

Are you watching a different Taylor Hall than me? "He hasn't played that bad." UM...WHAT?
    Hall has one goal, scored opening night.
    He's minus 16 and has 10 points.

He's missed open nets, he's fallen down on break aways. He most certainly has played that bad and worse. I'm not sure what you are using to base your opinion on but the optics of this season have him looking horrible.
    Head to Head League: 1 point for G, 1 point for A. 2 for Goalie win, 3 for SO.
    Start 6 guys every week. 3 O, 2 D and 1G. No substitutions once they are in (before the first game starts on Monday).
    Protect 3 players every year in keeper.
    10 rounds of drafting
    F: Crosby, Point, P. Kane, JVR, Kopitar, Rakell, Tarasenko,
    D: Letang, Doughty, Karlsson, Grzelcyk, Faulk,
    G: Bob, Shesterkin, Demko, Kahkonen

Dobber Sports All-Star

Hall has 2 goals and 14 assists. Still a tire fire, but jus thought I would put up the correct stats.
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by baumer View Post
    Are you watching a different Taylor Hall than me? "He hasn't played that bad." UM...WHAT?
    Hall has one goal, scored opening night.
    He's minus 16 and has 10 points.

He's missed open nets, he's fallen down on break aways. He most certainly has played that bad and worse. I'm not sure what you are using to base your opinion on but the optics of this season have him looking horrible.
    Thanks for the feedback. Nope, pretty sure I'm watching the guy on the Sabres and am basing my opinion on what I've seen having watched all but 2 or so of the Sabres' games as a many decades-long fan of the franchise.

Yes, he has 1 goal and 16 points (not 10, but whatever) and he's a -17. The Sabres are dreadful, and I never said that Hall was pulling his full weight or putting up numbers. Sure, he's had miscues. He also has rung at least 7 or 8 posts and bars. And he's also regularly been on the "receiving" end of passes that are nowhere near where they should be and look like they were made by a 47 year old beer leaguer, making appropriate passes (along with some bad ones) to space that linemates ought to be occupying or going to but aren't, and part of a team that regularly has multiple players far out of position in both the offensive and defensive zones and is getting (mostly) horrific goaltending. But I dare to say that he's been their most dangerous player on a near nightly basis, and the overall quality of an individual's play -- particularly on a rotten team -- is hard to assess from simply looking at the box score.

Can he play better? Should he play better? Absolutely. But Hall is not the problem there. He hasn't been the solution thus far either, and he hasn't made himself stand out as someone other franchises are likely to be rushing in to give a multi-year big dollar deal to. But he individually hasn't played as badly as his goal and assist totals suggest. To wit, even in this dismal season stats wise, his Corsi numbers this season (on both an individual and relative basis) are currently the best they've been in his career.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by dejeanneret View Post
    To wit, even in this dismal season stats wise, his Corsi numbers this season (on both an individual and relative basis) are currently the best they've been in his career.
    Thank you for the feedback on Hall. It's great to hear from someone who's actually watched the Sabres games this year. There can't be many people like you around especially this season!!!

With that said, please don't use relative Corsi to suggest a player is having a good year. That's like saying a 2-rung ladder is great because all of the other ladders available are only 1-rung. Sure, the 2-rung is relatively the best, but it is still completely useless if you are trying to take down your Christmas lights in the middle of March.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    Thank you for the feedback on Hall. It's great to hear from someone who's actually watched the Sabres games this year. There can't be many people like you around especially this season!!!

With that said, please don't use relative Corsi to suggest a player is having a good year. That's like saying a 2-rung ladder is great because all of the other ladders available are only 1-rung. Sure, the 2-rung is relatively the best, but it is still completely useless if you are trying to take down your Christmas lights in the middle of March.
    LOL! Fair point....

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post

Your ladder analogy works for relative Corsi numbers. Other Corsi scores are quite useful to judge a players positive or negative impact on a game and do indicate that Hall has been decent this year in driving play.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Veteran

My apologies about the stats I mentioned on Hall. For some reason I had the NHL.com tool by game and didn't include all of Hall's stats.

Hall is immensely talented no doubt. But he has been quite awful this year. I haven't watched all the Sabres games, but quite a few of them. I have centre ice so I try to watch them often.

You're right about him hitting about 8 posts and I firmly believe it is Krueger's system that is preventing these guys from playing to their potential. So maybe I was a bit harsh but 2 goals is still horrifically bad for a guy who scored 39 just a few seasons ago. The organization is hexed or cursed right now. I'm not sure anyone is going to want to re-sign there.
    Head to Head League: 1 point for G, 1 point for A. 2 for Goalie win, 3 for SO.
    Start 6 guys every week. 3 O, 2 D and 1G. No substitutions once they are in (before the first game starts on Monday).
    Protect 3 players every year in keeper.
    10 rounds of drafting
    F: Crosby, Point, P. Kane, JVR, Kopitar, Rakell, Tarasenko,
    D: Letang, Doughty, Karlsson, Grzelcyk, Faulk,
    G: Bob, Shesterkin, Demko, Kahkonen

The Great One

Hall to the Leafs makes too much sense. And do it now to get the quarantine clock started. If I'm Hall I just go get a room in Toronto now and force the issue.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch