Thread: Trading McDavid for cap space

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Trading McDavid for cap space

Hey all!

League in sig. Present keepers bolded.

As of now I am protecting over $65M out of $81,5M cap for 12 rostered players out of 20. So that leaves a little over $16M for the 8 remaining spots that I'd have to draft.

Been offered Aho for McDavid. This would save me $4M in cap space.

Is this completely crazy? Is there a possible counter proposal worth it?

Please Help.

Thanks!

EDIT : I'm trying to counter with MacKinnon instead of Aho.
    8 Teams - Season long points only limited keeper (7F, 4D, 1G) cap league using cap hit
    Active lineup : 20 (12F, 6D, 2G)
    Bench: 6 (3F, 2D, 1G)
    10 trades for FAs + 10 moves between lineup and bench
    G (1 pt), A (1), W (2), SO (2), OTL (1)

F: McDavid, Stutzle, Hischier, Hyman, Konecny, Raymond, Perfetti, Guentzel, Bratt, Drouin, JT Miller, Peterka, Guenther, L. Carlsson, Zary
    D: Makar, Q. Hughes, Malinski, Durzi, Harley, Sanderson, Clarke, Lundkvist
    G:Sorokin, Demko, Georgiev
    NHL cap : $83.5 cap (bench doesn't count against cap)

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Trading McDavid for cap space

I'm not trading McDavid unless it's a stupid offer, in any type of league. That being said, we need more context, your whole team etc. Scratch that for some reason it wasn't showing your team in sig for me - editing until I've had a look

Alright so I see where you're considering trading McD, but for me it's still a no unless you get a significant add on Aho.

I think personally I'd be trying to trade Crosby out for a pick then go for some ELC's

Do you know how much Hall etc is making or is it reliant on what he gets in the off-season?
    Team One (Mercenaries Of Mandalore) 24T Dynasty, 4LW/RW/C, 6D, 2G, 4B - G, A1, A2, PPG, PPA, SHP, SOG, FOW, FOL, TK, GV, HIT, BLK, FT, ||| W, L, GA, SV, SHO, A

Team Two (Hamilton Tigers) 16T Dynasty - 3LW/RW/C, 6D, 2G, 6B - G, A, PPP, SHP, SOG, BLK, HIT, FOW| W, L, GA, SV, SHO, A

Click here for my teams (not up to date)

Links are too a google document.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by JayJJeffery View Post
    I'm not trading McDavid unless it's a stupid offer, in any type of league. That being said, we need more context, your whole team etc. Scratch that for some reason it wasn't showing your team in sig for me - editing until I've had a look

Alright so I see where you're considering trading McD, but for me it's still a no unless you get a significant add on Aho.

I think personally I'd be trying to trade Crosby out for a pick then go for some ELC's

Do you know how much Hall etc is making or is it reliant on what he gets in the off-season?
    Actual NHL contracts (AAV). So don't know for Hall.

I'm also shopping Crosby, Eichel and Carlson to see if I can get something decent.
    8 Teams - Season long points only limited keeper (7F, 4D, 1G) cap league using cap hit

F: McDavid, Stutzle, Hischier, Hyman, Konecny, Raymond, Perfetti, Guentzel, Bratt, Drouin, JT Miller, Peterka, Guenther, L. Carlsson, Zary

Dobber Sports Grand Master

If you can get MacKinnnon, I'd consider it. Yes, you punt the problem down the road, but at least you get a guy who can come close to McDavid.

Honestly, I'd trade Hall now, just to clear that up. He's your worst performer with a sizeable contract, and is getting a raise. Take what you can get.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    If you can get MacKinnnon, I'd consider it. Yes, you punt the problem down the road, but at least you get a guy who can come close to McDavid.

Honestly, I'd trade Hall now, just to clear that up. He's your worst performer with a sizeable contract, and is getting a raise. Take what you can get.
    With the season Hall had last season, no one is remotely interested in my league. Unless he gets a cheap contract I don't think that will change. He's an easy drop for me.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Well it's a no go. My league is like living in the twilight zone. He says McDavid is not worth more than Aho because of cap difference. Also says McDavid is pretty much topped as a 110pt player.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by pumpkinxyz View Post
    Well it's a no go. My league is like living in the twilight zone. He says McDavid is not worth more than Aho because of cap difference. Also says McDavid is pretty much topped as a 110pt player.
    I agree with the second part. I don't think he gets much beyond 120 at any point, unless rules change more.

I was thinking you were trying to fit Hall in. Good that you have him as a drop.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    I agree with the second part. I don't think he gets much beyond 120 at any point, unless rules change more.
    Personally I think 110 is his floor. I think he'll put up 120+ for some years.

The Great One

Personally I think 110 is his floor. I think he'll put up 120+ for some years.
    Then why would you think about trading him?
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    Then why would you think about trading him?
    Because I want cap space, if the right deal is there. I don't HAVE to trade him of course, but if I were to get McKinnon at half the price I would do it without hesitation in my situation.

No one is untouchable for the right price.

Dobber Sports Ace

Points only, right?

So, basically looking for 120 points from McDavid and 85 from Aho to be at the same value.

I am comfortable with both players landing around those marks, so if you know that the 4 million dollars will be a significant upgrade elsewhere, then, yes, have him throw in a kicker and really consider it.

It's not a popular opinion around these parts, but when you take emotion out of the equation, the math usually favours this kind of deal.

Dobber Sports Icon

Keep McDavid. Drop salary elsewhere.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    Keep McDavid. Drop salary elsewhere.
    Yeah. I like this too.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Ace

Because I want cap space, if the right deal is there. I don't HAVE to trade him of course, but if I were to get McKinnon at half the price I would do it without hesitation in my situation.

No one is untouchable for the right price.
    I cannot imagine you getting MacKinnon for McDavid. But if you can, do not even hesitate - immediately take that deal.