Thread: League Design Help

Dobber Sports Ace

Default League Design Help

Hi all, I'm launching a new salary cap league on Fantrax and need some help. So far:

16 teams, weekly H2H with daily lineup changes
    4C, 4RW, 4LW, 6D, 2G, 4Bench, 10Minors, 6IR
    Goals, Assists, PPP, SOG, Hits, Blocks, GAA, SV%, Saves, Wins
    We use cap-hit per CapFriendly

A few questions:

1. I kind of want to give non-scoring defensemen an extra category; any suggestions? A few options I've come across: Corsi, Defensive Awareness, TOI... Any others that measure quality defensemen? Or am I good with what we have?

2. How do you all calculate salary cap? Is it just the NHL cap multiplied by a certain multiplier (1.2? 1.5?)?

3. Draft concept. Instead of a 23-round inaugural draft, I'm considering doing an 8-round serpentine draft where managers select two forward rosters, defense rosters, goalie rosters, and prospects. For example, I might draft BUF-FORWARDS, COL-DEF, CLB-FORWARDS, ARI-G, LAK-DEF, CGY-G, DET-PROSP., and NSH-PROSP. Managers would then pick the players they will keep for the start of the season. Any crazy red flags with this idea?

4. Lastly, do you think that buy-ins (even as low as $20) increase engagement and participation?

Thanks in advance! Will rep all around.
    H2H Dynasty, 16 Team Salary: G, A, PPP, SOG, Hits, BKS, SHTOI, W, Sv%, Saves, GA%, (4C, 4RW, 4LW, 6D, 1G)

C: Crosby, Malkin, Larkin, Hartman, McBain, Joshua
    RW: Rantanen, Konecny, Strome, Batherson, Zetterland
    LW: Buchnevich, Ehlers, Marchessault, Bertuzzi, Acciari
    D: McNabb, Ferraro, Hakanpaa, Lyabushkin, Samuelsson, Bernard-Docker, Emberson
    G: Merzlikens, Daccord, Samsonov
    Prospects: Kurich, Lucius, Pelletier, Cristall, Yurov, Beckman, Brisson, Dean, Phillips, Poitras

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: League Design Help

1. I think you're okay, but if you are looking for extra value on defensive D, maybe PKTOI or takeaways or something like that? Easily counted is good.

2. Creating a salary cap number is best figured out by doing sample rosters. You want a higher number than the NHL cap because you have both fewer teams, and more roster spots. Otherwise you will see quality NHL players not on rosters, especially if you are going with a plan to get more defensive D on rosters. Count up the top 50 G, 125 D, and 250 F and divide by 16. That covers active rosters, bench, and some IR plus extra space, since you are taking stars from 31 teams. If you feel that cap number is too high, tweak it.

3. Red flags are: 16 x 2 = 32, and NHL teams = 31. So you have a 7.75 round draft in actuality. There will certainly be players dropped that people would want, and just a couple round draft after cuts would resolve that. Or you could have trades open up once those picks are done.

4. Buy-ins eliminate guys who are going to bail before the league starts. It hsould increase attntion, but there are those who won't play paid leagues.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

The Great One

1. I played in a league with SH TOI. I liked it because it gave value to a something (killing penalties) that is often overlooked. Short-handed points are such a silly category.
    2. Don't have enough experience in cap leagues to help you with this one.
    3. While there are no red flags, I personally am not a fan of the idea. The draft will just fly right by.
    4. In my experience, the biggest factors in engagement: a strong commissioner; a solid rulebook; and GMs with a track record or vouched by somebody.

Dobber Sports Titan

Cats are fine as they are but if you add something else then be open to accepting feedback on it in-season and decide after season 1 if you want to change it for season 3 (not two - don't change cats suddenly).
    Cap depends on how tough you want it to be. Sample rosters is really the best way to look into it. Also make sure you know if you're doing cap hit, salary, or AAV.
    I agree with Als, in that you want the rule book to be as iron clad as possible before you start. Cover every angle you can think of.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)