Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Next season start date: Jan 1?

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Next season start date: Jan 1?

Was pleasantly surprised Bettman's comments last night - that they're targeting Jan 1 as the season kickoff, as opposed to later in January as was rumoured. Sounds like they want to start the year off with a Winter Classic - not a bad idea.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/nhl-nhl...020-21-season/

It would be great to know for sure that this is the date as then leagues can schedule their drafts etc and hopefully fantasy magazines can get an idea of what kind of season we're dealing with and can get publishing. I noticed our very own Dobber is set to fire out the magazine on Oct 30th it looks like...

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Next season start date: Jan 1?

I can live with this. Now let's hope they can pull it off.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Pro

Jan1 start seems to a very optimistic projection, lots of talk of modified bubbles to commence play, but without fans in the buildings, the NHL will bleed a lot of money to operate:

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl...bble-1.5764228

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by lobo1969 View Post
    Jan1 start seems to a very optimistic projection, lots of talk of modified bubbles to commence play, but without fans in the buildings, the NHL will bleed a lot of money to operate:

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl...bble-1.5764228
    Yep definitely optimistic.

This is an option I hadn't really considered but would obviously help out with the whole Canadian division idea.

"Rather than having one continuous season of 80 games, maybe you're going to have to look at kind of four mini-seasons," with teams rotating through the bubbles, he said.

Dobber Sports Monster

FWIW...from Dave Pagnotta.

https://twitter.com/TheFourthPeriod/...58258861735936

"I'm told by a high-ranking source an 82-game regular-season is "still realistic" if the season starts in/around Jan 1 (ending mid/end-July). There are clearly numerous factors in play (travel, fans, etc.), but the NHL wants to maximize the amount of games in 2020-21 season. (1/2)"

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO

LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Monster

Sounds like the NHL is still aiming for Jan 1. With the NBA announcing their return the NHL is probably not far behind. I read somewhere they are hoping to decide within the next two weeks. I think getting a date solidified really helps...I get the sense fans are currently not very interested in the start of next year even though its probably starting in only a couple of months. Not knowing the date or how its going to work isn't helping on that front.

LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Genius

Last I heard from player agent Alan Walsh on Montreal radio, was an early February date. He expected more of a mid-Feb. date with a shortened season. Lots to work out. He expected details to begin rolling out mid-December.
    Hockey Pools? Too many to mention. Points only, salary cap and dynasty.

Dobber Sports Master

jan 1 doesnt seem realistic at this point but feb 1 almost seems too far away

wonder if they can start jan 20 ish

Dobber Sports Guru

I wonder how it's going to work with gate revenue. If Vegas and Florida are allowed to have fans, but Ottawa and Montreal aren't, would the teams have to split gate revenue?

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    I wonder how it's going to work with gate revenue. If Vegas and Florida are allowed to have fans, but Ottawa and Montreal aren't, would the teams have to split gate revenue?
    the idea of Florida helping the likes of Toronto and Montreal with revenue is pretty funny. what a strange time

LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    or have they committed to potentially just 25% capacity . the arena suites for instance are kinda a bubble within arena of your own group of fam/friends .

Dobber Sports Wizard

i be honest, i dont think any of this has to do with COVID in a way that its too dangerous now but will be fine in February. I think they want to get as close to games with some Fans as they can so they manipulating it in this way. If NBA can start in December why isn't NHL? Because dollars are not the same , that's why. It still amazes me that this virus is deadly unless you about to loose too much money then its ok...

I think these leagues have enough resources to limit the risks almost to zero if they want to, it just has to make sense financially. For NBA that's December, for NHL, who knows.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Belexus75 View Post
    i be honest, i dont think any of this has to do with COVID in a way that its too dangerous now but will be fine in February. I think they want to get as close to games with some Fans as they can so they manipulating it in this way. If NBA can start in December why isn't NHL? Because dollars are not the same , that's why. It still amazes me that this virus is deadly unless you about to loose too much money then its ok...

I think these leagues have enough resources to limit the risks almost to zero if they want to, it just has to make sense financially. For NBA that's December, for NHL, who knows.
    Apparently it's January 1st...

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/20...-21-nhl-season
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Master

problem with NHL is half the revenue is from the gate (apparently) . I actually thought they depended on the gate more than 50% so its a blessing that we have that I guess . I suppose mlb/nba t.v deals are rich enough to cover payroll and some ownership profit even without fans in the seats .

Dobber Sports Jedi

I think we will start to see increased chatter about advertising on logo's.
    Might hate it, but it could result in millions of dollars in gained revenue.
    You add in the caveat that it's a year by year or 1 year agreement and those Jersey's instantly become collectors items.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4