Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Athletics NHL Draft Quiz

Dobber Sports Deity

Default The Athletics NHL Draft Quiz

So I just completed this Draft Quiz that The Athletic just put up on their site. It goes back as far as 2005 and goes up with 25 questions from most draft years from there. If you have a subsription, I recommend you go try the quiz. It isn't easy by any stretch of the imagination. I thought I was fairly knowledgeable but clearly I was mistaken. I got 9/25 correct answers when I just did it without cheating or googling. I answered right off the top of my head as best I could. LOL!

I am going to copy the questions here for all to try out. Copy and paste the quiz in a reply with your answers, and once completed, I will score it for you and send your score (with the correct answers) to your inbox here. If you'd rather I email them to you, let me know and I can do that (you'd have to share your email addy in your reply).

2005: Four teams had the best odds to win "The Sidney Crosby Lottery," with three shots out of 48 at the first pick. One was the Pittsburgh Penguins. Which of the following was NOT one of the remaining three? *

Buffalo Sabres, Columbus Blue Jackets, Anaheim Ducks or New York Rangers?

2005: Seven future All-Stars were selected in the first round. Which of the following was not among them? *

Paul Stastny, Anze Kopitar, T.J. Oshie, Marc Staal ?

2006: The St. Louis Blues selected defenseman Erik Johnson first overall. Eight other d-men were taken in the first round. Five made the NHL. Which of the five played the most NHL games? *

Ty Wishart (No. 16, Sharks)
    Bobby Sanguinetti (No. 21, Rangers)
    Ivan Vishnevskiy (No. 27 Stars)
    Chris Summers (No. 29, Coyotes)
    Matthew Corrente (No. 30, Devils)

2007: How many draft slots did Chicago move up to select Patrick Kane first overall? *

Two (third to first)
    Zero (they finished last in 2006-07)
    Four (fifth to first)
    Seven (eighth to first)

2008: The first five players selected have since gone on to win the Stanley Cup, with No. 1 overall pick Steven Stamkos and the players picked third and fifth overall winning their first championship in 2020. Who were those players selected at No. 3 and No. 5? *

Braydon Coburn and Zach Bogosian
    Ryan McDonagh and Luke Schenn
    Zach Bogosian and Luke Schenn
    Ryan McDonagh and Braydon Coburn

2010: Only four players drafted in the top 20 are currently still with the club who drafted them. Two of those four play for the same team. Who is that team? *

Minnesota, St. Louis, Los Angeles, Anaheim

2011: This was the first draft by the Winnipeg Jets, who'd relocated from Atlanta. Who was their first selection? *

Alexander Burmistrov, Jacob Trouba, Mark Scheifele, Adam Lowry

2011: Which team won the lottery ... and only moved up to the fourth pick? *

Florida Panthers, New Jersey Devils, Ottawa Senators, Colorado Avalanche

2012: Within five, how many goals did No. 1 pick Nail Yakupov score in his best NHL season? *

10-14
    15-19
    20-24
    25-29

2012: This draft had the most defensemen picked in the top 10 of any draft in the salary-cap era. How many were selected from picks 1-10? *

Five
    Six
    Seven
    Eight

2013: The players selected first and second overall, Nathan MacKinnon and Aleksander Barkov, have won the same NHL award. Which one? *

The Calder Trophy, The Lady Byng Trophy, The Selke Trophy, All-Star Game MVP

2014: Despite making only one first-round pick, which team had three players picked in the top 25 play for them in 2019-20? *

Boston Bruins, Vancouver Canucks, Detroit Red Wings, New Jersey Devils

2015: This draft's top two picks, Connor McDavid and Jack Eichel, are also its two top goal scorers so far. Which player has the third-most goals? *
    2015: Boston had three consecutive first-round picks from Nos. 13-15 in this draft and picked Jakub Zboril, Jake DeBrusk and Zach Senyshyn. Which player went at No. 16? *

Mathew Barzal, Kyle Connor, Thomas Chabot, Brock Boeser

2015: This draft's top two picks, Connor McDavid and Jack Eichel, are also its two top goal scorers so far. Which player has the third-most goals? *

Sebastian Aho, Mikko Rantanen, Kyle Connor, Mitch Marner

2016: Which country made history by having three players taken in the top five for the first time? *

United States, Sweden, Finland, Russia

2017: Which of these players was not one of Vegas' first-round picks, in the franchise's first ever NHL Entry Draft? *

Cody Glass, Shane Bowers, Erik Brannstrom, Nick Suzuki

2018: Despite not winning the Calder Trophy, which top-10 pick leads this draft class in career points? *

Rasmus Dahlin, Quinn Hughes, Brady Tkachuk, Andrei Svechnikov

2019: It was a historic year for the United States National Team Development program, which dominated the first round. How many NTDP players were taken from picks 1-31? *

Seven, Eight, Nine, 10

2019: Five players taken have already made it to the NHL: The top three (Jack Hughes, Kaapo Kakko, Kirby Dach) and two of the following. Name one. *

Alex Turcotte, Samuel Poulin, Ville Heinola, Tobias Bjornfot

How many times since 2005 have the Edmonton Oilers had the first overall pick? *

Three, Four, Five, Six

Which of the following players were not No. 2 overall picks? *

Ryan Murray, Tyler Seguin, Jordan Staal, Jonathan Huberdeau

Which undrafted player, starting with the 2005 draft, has the most points? *

Tyler Bozak, Mark Giordano, Mats Zuccarello, Artemi Panarin

Since 2005, three players picked in the fourth round or later rank in the top 5 of their draft class in points. Which of these players is not one of them? *

Johnny Gaudreau, Mark Stone, Keith Yandle, Jamie Benn

How many picks will be made at the 2020 NHL Draft? *

Write down your number

How many No. 1 overall picks are no longer playing for the team that selected them? *

Two, Three, Four, Five

Good luck to you all!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: The Athletics NHL Draft Quiz

Funnnnnnnnnnnn!

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

2005: Four teams had the best odds to win "The Sidney Crosby Lottery," with three shots out of 48 at the first pick. One was the Pittsburgh Penguins. Which of the following was NOT one of the remaining three? *

2005: Seven future All-Stars were selected in the first round. Which of the following was not among them? *

2006: The St. Louis Blues selected defenseman Erik Johnson first overall. Eight other d-men were taken in the first round. Five made the NHL. Which of the five played the most NHL games? *

2007: How many draft slots did Chicago move up to select Patrick Kane first overall? *

Two (third to first)
    Four (fifth to first)
    Seven (eighth to first)

2008: The first five players selected have since gone on to win the Stanley Cup, with No. 1 overall pick Steven Stamkos and the players picked third and fifth overall winning their first championship in 2020. Who were those players selected at No. 3 and No. 5? *

2010: Only four players drafted in the top 20 are currently still with the club who drafted them. Two of those four play for the same team. Who is that team? *

2011: This was the first draft by the Winnipeg Jets, who'd relocated from Atlanta. Who was their first selection? *

2012: Within five, how many goals did No. 1 pick Nail Yakupov score in his best NHL season? *

10-14
    15-19
    20-24
    25-29

2012: This draft had the most defensemen picked in the top 10 of any draft in the salary-cap era. How many were selected from picks 1-10? *

Five
    Six
    Seven
    Eight

2013: The players selected first and second overall, Nathan MacKinnon and Aleksander Barkov, have won the same NHL award. Which one? *

2014: Despite making only one first-round pick, which team had three players picked in the top 25 play for them in 2019-20? *

2015: Boston had three consecutive first-round picks from Nos. 13-15 in this draft and picked Jakub Zboril, Jake DeBrusk and Zach Senyshyn. Which player went at No. 16? *

2016: Which country made history by having three players taken in the top five for the first time? *

2017: Which of these players was not one of Vegas' first-round picks, in the franchise's first ever NHL Entry Draft? *

2018: Despite not winning the Calder Trophy, which top-10 pick leads this draft class in career points? *

2019: It was a historic year for the United States National Team Development program, which dominated the first round. How many NTDP players were taken from picks 1-31? *

Seven, Eight, Nine, 10

2019: Five players taken have already made it to the NHL: The top three (Jack Hughes, Kaapo Kakko, Kirby Dach) and two of the following. Name one. *

How many times since 2005 have the Edmonton Oilers had the first overall pick? *

Three, Four, Five, Six

Since 2005, three players picked in the fourth round or later rank in the top 5 of their draft class in points. Which of these players is not one of them? *

Write down your number 216

How many No. 1 overall picks are no longer playing for the team that selected them? * I think there might be more to this question - like since 2005?

Two, Three, Four, Five
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Titan

Was a fun quiz. I only got 12, but I'm proud that I got the last two right
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post

Two (third to first)
    Four (fifth to first)
    Seven (eighth to first)

10-14
    15-19
    20-24
    25-29

Five
    Six
    Seven
    Eight

Seven, Eight, Nine, 10

Three, Four, Five, Six

Write down your number 216

How many No. 1 overall picks are no longer playing for the team that selected them? * I think there might be more to this question - like since 2005?

Two, Three, Four, Five
    Not too bad. 15/25.

Do you want me to PM you which ones you got wrong?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Was a fun quiz. I only got 12, but I'm proud that I got the last two right
    I did not LOL!

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Stud

Great fun Axe thanks. Draft if always one of my favourite times of the year. These were tough for sure!

[B]2005: Seven future All-Stars were selected in the first round. Which of the following was not among them? *

[B]2006: The St. Louis Blues selected defenseman Erik Johnson first overall. Eight other d-men were taken in the first round. Five made the NHL. Which of the five played the most NHL games? *

[B]2007: How many draft slots did Chicago move up to select Patrick Kane first overall? *

Two (third to first)
    Four (fifth to first)
    Seven (eighth to first)

[B]2008: The first five players selected have since gone on to win the Stanley Cup, with No. 1 overall pick Steven Stamkos and the players picked third and fifth overall winning their first championship in 2020. Who were those players selected at No. 3 and No. 5? *

[B]2010: Only four players drafted in the top 20 are currently still with the club who drafted them. Two of those four play for the same team. Who is that team? *

[B]2011: This was the first draft by the Winnipeg Jets, who'd relocated from Atlanta. Who was their first selection? *

Florida Panthers, New Jersey Devils, Ottawa Senators, Colorado Avalanche [

[B]2012: Within five, how many goals did No. 1 pick Nail Yakupov score in his best NHL season? *

10-14
    15-19
    20-24
    25-29

[B]2012: This draft had the most defensemen picked in the top 10 of any draft in the salary-cap era. How many were selected from picks 1-10? *

Five
    Six
    Seven
    Eight

[B]2013: The players selected first and second overall, Nathan MacKinnon and Aleksander Barkov, have won the same NHL award. Which one? *

[B]2014: Despite making only one first-round pick, which team had three players picked in the top 25 play for them in 2019-20? *

Boston Bruins, Vancouver Canucks, Detroit Red Wings, New Jersey Dev

[B]2015: Boston had three consecutive first-round picks from Nos. 13-15 in this draft and picked Jakub Zboril, Jake DeBrusk and Zach Senyshyn. Which player went at No. 16? *

[B]2015: This draft's top two picks, Connor McDavid and Jack Eichel, are also its two top goal scorers so far. Which player has the third-most goals? *

[B]2016: Which country made history by having three players taken in the top five for the first time? *

[B]2017: Which of these players was not one of Vegas' first-round picks, in the franchise's first ever NHL Entry Draft? *

[B]2018: Despite not winning the Calder Trophy, which top-10 pick leads this draft class in career points? *

Rasmus Dahlin, Quinn Hughes, Brady Tkachuk, Andrei Svechnikov [I]

[B]2019: It was a historic year for the United States National Team Development program, which dominated the first round. How many NTDP players were taken from picks 1-31? *

Seven, Eight, Nine, 10

[B]2019: Five players taken have already made it to the NHL: The top three (Jack Hughes, Kaapo Kakko, Kirby Dach) and two of the following. Name one. *

Three, Four, Five, Six [I][COLOR=#0000ff]

[B]Which of the following players were not No. 2 overall picks? *

[B]Which undrafted player, starting with the 2005 draft, has the most points? *

[B]Since 2005, three players picked in the fourth round or later rank in the top 5 of their draft class in points. Which of these players is not one of them? *

[B]How many picks will be made at the 2020 NHL Draft? 216

Write down your number

[B]How many No. 1 overall picks are no longer playing for the team that selected them? *

Two, Three, Four, Five
    RHRS, Yahoo, 12-team, Roto
    PQMC, Yahoo, 12-team, Keep 11, H2H
    Taro Tsujimoto Draft League, Fantrax, 6-team, pts-only (*2018 draftees or later only)
    Hanson Bros., Fantrax, 10-Team, Keep 8, weighted scoring
    Black & Blue, Fantrax, 12-Team, Dynasty, H2H weighted
    The Dream Team League, Fantrax, 14-Team, Dynasty, H2H
    On Frozen Ponds, Fantrax 10-Team, Dynasty, Roto

​"When I do not know who I am I serve you, and when I do know who I am, you and I are one." - Hanuman-ji

Dobber Sports Immortal

Buffalo Sabres

Paul Stastny

St. Louis

Adam Lowry

Florida Panthers

15-19

Six

The Lady Byng Trophy

Detroit Red Wings

Kyle Connor

Kyle Connor

United States

Shane Bowers

Andrei Svechnikov

Ville Heinola

Four

Ryan Murray, Jonathan Huberdeau

Tyler Bozak

Johnny Gaudreau, Keith Yandle, Jamie Benn

How many No. 1 overall picks are no longer playing for the team that selected them? *

Four

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by YzermansLegacy View Post
    Great fun Axe thanks. Draft if always one of my favourite times of the year. These were tough for sure!

[B]2005: Seven future All-Stars were selected in the first round. Which of the following was not among them? *

[B]2006: The St. Louis Blues selected defenseman Erik Johnson first overall. Eight other d-men were taken in the first round. Five made the NHL. Which of the five played the most NHL games? *

[B]2007: How many draft slots did Chicago move up to select Patrick Kane first overall? *

Two (third to first)
    Four (fifth to first)
    Seven (eighth to first)

[B]2008: The first five players selected have since gone on to win the Stanley Cup, with No. 1 overall pick Steven Stamkos and the players picked third and fifth overall winning their first championship in 2020. Who were those players selected at No. 3 and No. 5? *

[B]2010: Only four players drafted in the top 20 are currently still with the club who drafted them. Two of those four play for the same team. Who is that team? *

[B]2011: This was the first draft by the Winnipeg Jets, who'd relocated from Atlanta. Who was their first selection? *

Florida Panthers, New Jersey Devils, Ottawa Senators, Colorado Avalanche [

[B]2012: Within five, how many goals did No. 1 pick Nail Yakupov score in his best NHL season? *

10-14
    15-19
    20-24
    25-29

[B]2012: This draft had the most defensemen picked in the top 10 of any draft in the salary-cap era. How many were selected from picks 1-10? *

Five
    Six
    Seven
    Eight

[B]2013: The players selected first and second overall, Nathan MacKinnon and Aleksander Barkov, have won the same NHL award. Which one? *

[B]2014: Despite making only one first-round pick, which team had three players picked in the top 25 play for them in 2019-20? *

Boston Bruins, Vancouver Canucks, Detroit Red Wings, New Jersey Dev

[B]2015: Boston had three consecutive first-round picks from Nos. 13-15 in this draft and picked Jakub Zboril, Jake DeBrusk and Zach Senyshyn. Which player went at No. 16? *

[B]2015: This draft's top two picks, Connor McDavid and Jack Eichel, are also its two top goal scorers so far. Which player has the third-most goals? *

[B]2016: Which country made history by having three players taken in the top five for the first time? *

[B]2017: Which of these players was not one of Vegas' first-round picks, in the franchise's first ever NHL Entry Draft? *

[B]2018: Despite not winning the Calder Trophy, which top-10 pick leads this draft class in career points? *

Rasmus Dahlin, Quinn Hughes, Brady Tkachuk, Andrei Svechnikov [I]

[B]2019: It was a historic year for the United States National Team Development program, which dominated the first round. How many NTDP players were taken from picks 1-31? *

Seven, Eight, Nine, 10

[B]2019: Five players taken have already made it to the NHL: The top three (Jack Hughes, Kaapo Kakko, Kirby Dach) and two of the following. Name one. *

Three, Four, Five, Six [I][COLOR=#0000ff]

[B]Which of the following players were not No. 2 overall picks? *

[B]Which undrafted player, starting with the 2005 draft, has the most points? *

[B]Since 2005, three players picked in the fourth round or later rank in the top 5 of their draft class in points. Which of these players is not one of them? *

[B]How many picks will be made at the 2020 NHL Draft? 216

Write down your number

[B]How many No. 1 overall picks are no longer playing for the team that selected them? *

Two, Three, Four, Five
    You also got 15/25.

I had to go in and alter your post because you were giving too much information out to future guessers.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post

Buffalo Sabres

Paul Stastny

St. Louis

Adam Lowry

Florida Panthers

15-19

Six

The Lady Byng Trophy

Detroit Red Wings

Kyle Connor

Kyle Connor

United States

Shane Bowers

Andrei Svechnikov

Ville Heinola

Four

Ryan Murray, Jonathan Huberdeau

Tyler Bozak

Johnny Gaudreau, Keith Yandle, Jamie Benn

Four
    11/25

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    11/25
    Had some mental errors in there that I immediately regretted. Fun quiz!

The Great One

Some of those questions hurt my brain. Like I can think back to every first round pick to 2005 and remember which have been traded. Questions like that, I didn't bother thinking - just guessed. Wrong for that one!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I'm with you Axe.
    Although I canceled my Athletic sub (I'm cheap) a few months ago... I never do well at these.

In fairness, people have different mind-usage functions.
    There's some truly special people that can retain a shitload of information. Those hockey people would do well.
    And then there's people that are in "the business" - and when hockey is your business, you'd remember.

But many of the rest of us... we "purge" (I call it) the useless information that we don't have any reason to bring up consistently.
    Retaining inconsequential information (like that "who played the most" D list, or "who didn't have good odds")... IMO, is a waste of brain space.

For example, I have a buddy that took 10 years to pass his professional's engineer exam.
    He has so much useless trivia shit in his mind about history, politics, movies, pop culture... but he can't remember the base principles to be GOOD at his own FIELD OF EXPERTISE!!!
    Like... c'mon!

Anyways - my way of saying that I, too, consider myself a big hockey fan.
    But there's no chance I get more than 9 of these right!!!

Dobber Sports Icon

I went 9 for 25 as well. Like Pengwin7 said, I have no use to remember any of this information because I can pull it up with the click of a few buttons on my computer.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    For example, I have a buddy that took 10 years to pass his professional's engineer exam.
    He has so much useless trivia shit in his mind about history, politics, movies, pop culture... but he can't remember the base principles to be GOOD at his own FIELD OF EXPERTISE!!!
    Like... c'mon!
    You mean the ethics exam that is literally all common sense?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    I went 9 for 25 as well. Like Pengwin7 said, I have no use to remember any of this information because I can pull it up with the click of a few buttons on my computer.
    Yep I have gotten very used to typing "db" at the end of players names.