Thread: Trading picks

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Trading picks

14 team dynasty league - salary cap (yearly salary instead of cap hit - ex. Bobrovsky at $12m rather than $10.5m)

G A PPP PIM SOG HIT BLK SHP

W GAA SV SV% SHO

25 player main roster + 35 player minors (rookies + contracts under $1.5m)

I feel like I know what the consensus answer is going to be, but I figure I'll ask anyways. I have a weak team and have four of the top five picks in this draft. I also have 30m + in cap space.

I have picks 1, 2, 4 and 5 in the draft.

I was offered Barzal (who is up for his payday contract, athough Lou doesn't pay huge) for pick #5. With the 5oa, I'm looking at a Raymond, Perfetti, Rossi, Askarov on a 3yr ELC - The guy at 3 will take Stutzle after I take Laf and Byfield, so the next 2 are up to me. Do I keep the pick, or take Barzal?
    14T dynasty
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    W, SV%, SO, GAA, SVS

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Trading picks

Take Barzal and don't look back. That's a combo win now/rebuilding move.
    Ice Cap

Dynasty, 32 team cap league (1:1 NHL Cap/Floor), H2H weekly, points (G: 1 / A: 1 / Blks: 0.1 / HTS: 0.1 / SOG: 0.1 / W: 1 / SO: 1 / SV: 0.05)
    Start 12 F, 6 D, 1 G, 4 Bench, 27 Minors/Prospects

Roster

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GavinC View Post
    Take Barzal and don't look back. That's a combo win now/rebuilding move.
    Exactly this. You are improving your team with a young star at the cost of the 4th question mark you're drafting this year.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Stud

Barzal. He is already, what your pick #5 would aspire to be.
    CONDORS, 2022-23 league champions, Reg Dunlop Mem Cup

12-team, H2H. Keep 12, but drop 2 of top four skaters, and also 2 of next six, then five more (from end-of-year rankings). One GK max.

Stutzle, Sergachev
    Keller, Doughty, Verhaeghe, ErikssonEk
    E.Lindholm, Barzal, J.Gaudreau, Huberdeau, S. Wright
    Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Yeah I'd do it. Barzal is a young star, and there's no guarantee on picks or their development. You've got the cap space even with his new contract. It'd be good to know who your players are though. I'd see if you can do something with the 4th overall too, and see what other teams in your league are in a similar salary dump mode.
    League 1
    Keep 16 - 4 rookies max 162 GP
    Forwards: Point, Tavares, Svechnikov, Boeser, R Strome, Teravainen, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Tolvanen
    Defencemen: Boqvist, Hamilton, Dahlin, Klingberg, Ekblad, Hronek, Marino, Brannstrom, Shattenkirk
    Goalies: Vasilevsky, Shesterkin,
    Minors: Kravtsov, Tolvanen, Brannstrom

League 2
    Keep 18 - 4 rookies max 162 GP
    Forwards: J Hughes, Kakko, Cozens, Frost, Kubalik, M Tkachuk, Vrana, A Svechnikov, Virtanen, Buchnevich, Gurianov, Tarasenko, Lehkonen
    Defencemen: R Andersson, Jokiharju, Trouba, Valimaki, Cholowski, Leddy, Montour
    Goalies: Saros, Sorokin, Talbot
    Minors: Heponiemi, Krebs, Tippett, Hoglander, Liljegren, Bouchard,

Dobber Sports Expert

Easy yes for me here. Especially when you're already coming away Laf and Byfield + #4.

Dobber Sports Deity

I wont lie, I am afraid of Barzal's next contract. You can say Lou doesn't like to pay, but that doesn't mean he isn't going to receive an offer sheet from someone either. Barzal is a nice offensive player but his value drops dramatically in a multi-cat format, and even more if salary is involved. That contract could come back to bite you in the arse. If you go to your league ( I dont know if you are on Fantrax or Yahoo) and load up all the players and their rankings for this past season, how deep down the list of players do you have to go to find Barzal's name? My guess, a long way down.

I dont think I'd touch Barzal in a multi-cat setup like this when salaries are involved. He wouldn't interest me much. He wont be worth the contract he's about to get. Im not against trading the pick. I just dont like who you're getting for it.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Stud

I echo the last statement. Barzal in this setup is not great in any category (even points; as long as he's on the island).

Having said that, Perfetti, Raymond etc are going to be very similar to Barzal in that regard, so I think technically it's a fair deal....but I'd shop the pick around and get a better return than Barzal. You won't have to look hard, lots of guys with lesser name values are better than Barzal in multi cat leagues.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Barzal was ranked 103rd this season in my league between Marchesseault and Couturier, and last season 138th between Cirelli and Connor. I do think he has a fairly high upside if he's allowed to open up his game (tough to do in Trotz's system - especially when it's effective).

I'm going to take Laf and Byfield 1 and 2, and probably Raymond at 4.. I've considered a lot of names at 5, like Rossi, Perfetti, Holtz, Askarov.
    14T dynasty
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG
    W, SV%, SO, GAA, SVS

Dobber Sports Stud

I can't speak for Holtz or Askarov, but I'd be thrilled to nab a Perfetti or Rossi at 5. Both are blue chippers in my opinion.

The more I think about it, I don't like it. You are a weak team; Barzal isn't going to change that. Guys like him, Backstrom, Kuzy etc. are overrated in your settings.

Unless you are getting offers you can't turn down or elite studs, I'd be patient. Take a look at the names around Barzal's rankings. Look at last year for them vs Barzal. I would bet you they won't cost you the 5th overall nor will the have a cap hit as high as MB will.