Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Zegras - NHL or AHL?

The Great One

Default Re: Zegras - NHL or AHL?

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    To be honest, I missed both.
    1. Didn't know he signed.
    2. Although I'm old and have followed hockey for a long long time, I thought NHL ELC contracts became effective for payment only once the player started playing professionally: i.e. NHL or AHL. I wasn't aware that the signature on the contract restricted a player from playing NCAA. I would've thought a guy could still play NCAA hockey so long as he isn't getting paid. (i.e. Contract/$$$ delayed).

I really care a lot about actual on-ice hockey. Talking about it. Extending it to fantasy.
    But the rules of contracts... definitely not something I have or ever will care excessively about.
    Yeah - the contract means you are playing. You agree to play, they agree to pay you. No delays in contract starts.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Zegras - NHL or AHL?

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    Ok...
    Been a rule for a long time that you can't make $$ while playing college sports. I believe there have been highly publicized cases of both NCAA basketball and football getting in trouble for player compensation. Big no-no. So yeah, you sign a contract, you're done with the NCAA.
    This is completely true, and the unfairness of the NCAA profiting off of the athlete's likenesses in video games which is causing lawsuits.

It's not just major sports. For a while, players would use assumed names in semi-pro baseball to not screw up football and other sports, especially if scholarships were involved.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.