Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Zegras - NHL or AHL?

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Zegras - NHL or AHL?

Is it likely that Zegras makes the team from the start or do you expect some cups of coffee first?

Do they give him top 6 minutes off the hop? ...maybe some 1st PP??

Cheers!

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Re: Zegras - NHL or AHL?

I have to go with NHL. Ducks are just a bad team...
    31 TEAMS keep all multi-cat (lot of them) dynasty
    Offensive stats : Goals, Assist , PPP, PPTOI, SOG...
    Defensive stats : PKTOI, BLKS, TakeAway, Giveaway...
    (basically best NHL player)

Dobber Sports Wizard

it shoudl depend on how he does in training camp...ill say this..he either plays in top 6 role at NHL level or in AHL...they will not stick him in the checking role...
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Ace

As a Zegras owner, I’m just hoping he impresses in camp, making it an easy decision for the Ducks to keep him up. I think an argument could be made that he’s already one of their most skilled forwards. But as Belexus said, they’re not going to put him in a checking role. That would not serve him well. Rather then have him get scoring line minutes in the A. To answer your question though, I do expect him to make the team out of camp. At least for the 9 game trial run.
    12 teams. Keep 9 any position.
    7 prospects. D scoring 3.75 for goal, 2.75 for assist. Forwards 3.5 for goal, 2.5 for assist. 0.5 for hits and blocks. Goalie scoring -1.5 GA, 0.3 for save, 2 points for win and extra 2 for shutout.

​Pre Draft

F: Keller, Zegras, Suzuki, Caufield, Cozens

D:​ Drysdale, Guhle, Perunovich

G:

IR:

Prospects: W. Johnston, K. Johnson, Guenther, Morrow, Mateychuk

Dobber Sports Demi-God

It is an interesting question because I don't know what NCAA schools (Zegras was Freshman at BostonU) are doing this coming year.
    I would think that the NHL minds would have some kind of adjusted-plan for what NHL teams should do with prospects**.

**In a bit of different tact, it wouldn't be good to be pushing players between too many locations.
    (As we know, Canada has its own regulations about letting Americans in. Not that this applies to ANA/Zegras/BosU... but it will be something that factors into other Jr.players... like, Quentin Byfield: LA/Sudbury.)

So - for Zegras - I would think Anaheim should either tell him:
    a) Stay at Boston for another full year, or
    b) We'll have you hear for a full year.

Anaheim does (!) actually have 10 one-way forwards under contract and 2 two-way ELC forwards (Jones, Steel).
    I'm not sure if they have room for Zegras this year, just by roster space.

Personally, I'll hedge that they have him do one more year at Boston.
    Getzlaf, Backes, Rowney (and Agozzino) all clear off as UFAs in summer 2021.
    I think that is better time to give him minutes. (with Henrique shifting to C1, and Steel to C2).

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by bbfl1987 View Post
    As a Zegras owner, I’m just hoping he impresses in camp, making it an easy decision for the Ducks to keep him up. I think an argument could be made that he’s already one of their most skilled forwards. But as Belexus said, they’re not going to put him in a checking role. That would not serve him well. Rather then have him get scoring line minutes in the A. To answer your question though, I do expect him to make the team out of camp. At least for the 9 game trial run.

I dont think there is a 9 games limit with Zegras as he is not Canadian so he doesnt have to go to CHL. Its such a dumb rule in the first place

Dobber Sports Icon

I don't think Zegras will begin this season in the NHL. The Ducks have too many forwards for that to happen.

Zegras signed an NHL contract. He is no longer allowed to play NCAA hockey.

The 9 game limit has nothing to do with the CHL. It would apply to Zegras if he doesn't play 9 NHL games regardless of where he ends up playing this year.

"If a player who is signed to an entry-level contract and is 18 or 19 years of age (as of September 15 of the signing year), does not play in a minimum of 10 NHL games (including both regular season and playoffs; AHL games do not count), their contract is considered to ‘slide’, or extend, by one year."

Dobber Sports Initiate

Oh..sorry about that, I thought that AHL games counted.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    Zegras signed an NHL contract. He is no longer allowed to play NCAA hockey.
    Interesting.
    I didn't know this!!!

[That said, I think he'll be asked/expect to play AHL for one year. I don't think this has hurt any prospects to play some AHL time.]

Dobber Sports Prodigy

If he is ready he will play, if not then they do not want a Mittlestadt fiasco in Buffalo where they rushed the player.
    14 team dynasty league points only / H2H
    draft up to 35 and cut 5 to 30 after one month of season. 13 active 12 bench & 5 prospects.
    dress 7 forwards, 3 defensman, 1 vet ( 31 & older), 1 rookie & 1 goalie per week

Forwards - Stone, J.T.Miller, A. Svechnikov, Mika Zibanijad, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Nico Hischier, Jack Hughes, Elias Lindholm, Quinton Byfield, Filip Chytil, Nick Schmaltz & Jaden Schwartz.

Defense- Cale Makar, Quinn Hughes, Roman Josi, Thomas Chabot, K'Andre Miller & Cam Fowler.

Goalies - Igor Shesterkin & Karel Vejmalka & Jeremy Swayman.

Prospects - Alex Turcotte, Brandt Clarke, Denton Mateychuk , Henry Thrun & Filip Bystedt.

Dobber Sports Deity

Ya, I think he will come into camp with every opportunity to make the club. Whether it happens or not will be up to him and his play. They wont force anything.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Interesting.
    I didn't know this!!!

[That said, I think he'll be asked/expect to play AHL for one year. I don't think this has hurt any prospects to play some AHL time.]
    Didn't know he signed an ELC or know that once you do you're pro and no longer NCAA eligible?
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    Didn't know he signed an ELC or know that once you do you're pro and no longer NCAA eligible?
    Ooooo... this feels fun.
    Give me a reply for both cases.

The Great One

Ok...

Response case 1 - Yeah - it happened March 27...right in the middle of Covid-mania so it went under the radar. 3 yrs at $925K per - he'll be an RFA in 23-24.

Response case 2 - Hunh. Been a rule for a long time that you can't make $$ while playing college sports. I believe there have been highly publicized cases of both NCAA basketball and football getting in trouble for player compensation. Big no-no. So yeah, you sign a contract, you're done with the NCAA.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Demi-God

To be honest, I missed both.
    1. Didn't know he signed.
    2. Although I'm old and have followed hockey for a long long time, I thought NHL ELC contracts became effective for payment only once the player started playing professionally: i.e. NHL or AHL. I wasn't aware that the signature on the contract restricted a player from returning to his NCAA team. Is it this way for juniors too? (OHL/WHL/QMJHL) Don't players sometimes play in the NHL - and then go back to their JR club? Wouldn't they need a contract to play in the NHL?. (The whole 9gp loop always throws me the eff off.)

I would've thought a guy could still play NCAA hockey so long as he isn't getting paid. (i.e. Contract signed... but $$$ delayed until he leaves college).

I really care a lot about actual on-ice hockey. Talking about it. Extending it to fantasy.
    But the rules of contracts... definitely not something I have or ever will care excessively about.