Thread: Ull-uminate me on Linus!

The Great One

Default Ull-uminate me on Linus!

So Ive bought in relatively big on the Munchkin Buffalo wing! I have him slotted in as my number two in my main legaue (shout out to NAB!!)- although Ive got Nillson and Nedeljovic as backuops if he falters, I recently traded Cal Petersen for him- and Ive got no support network in that one- in fact hes paird with another dangerous own in Korpisalo- lol! Lastly I have him a tightly capped salary league with Varlamov and Rittich- Ive got Hutton in that one.

My thoughts:

Buffalo is a strong team on paper and everything is going to break roight eventually (it has to right?)- and eventually could be as soon as this year! I like Hutton, Im a fan (Thunder Bay boy- woot woot!) but not as sold for fantasy purposes. Hes had dominant stretches but at his age with his history I think its safe to say hes a better than average backup at this point. I know everyone gets excited about the shiny new peospects but Ukko Pekka despite developing in meaningful ways has shown hes not ready for the bigs (not that he was supposed to be) and JJ might be something but Im not excited about him yet as anything other than a hipster pick longshot.

That leaves Ullmark almost by default. That being said he did have solid pedigree and was at one time thought to be the heir apparent wasnt he? Does anyone who sees him regularly have any insight.-? Im terrified to ask as the die are already cast but does he project to be a starter? Does he have the talent/mentality/golaie voddoo it factor???

I need to know- some one please, please help me. I already paid the price now I need to know the answers come hell or hig water whatever hig is...

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Ull-uminate me on Linus!

I recently moved Ullmark. I had too many goalies, and for me goalie value always comes down to opportunity.

Rightly or wrongly, a lot of opportunity comes down the the GM's "guy". The GM constructs the team, goalies have a huge influence on success... the GM wants "their guy" in net.

Ullmark was drafted by Regier (3 GMs ago)... who TF knows what was going on then.
    He was developed by Murray (2 GMs ago)... the team was "building for the future".
    Ullmark had AHL and NHL success under Botterill (the last GM)... the team was learning how to win with Eichel. Didn't work.
    Now we have a new GM whose mandate is to get wins. This goalie is clearly not "his guy". Ullmark could be Adams' guy... but he just as easily might not.

Ullmark is pretty high risk for me as a result, simply because he's not the new GM's guy, and Adams will have a mandate to shake things up and win. UFA goalie signing? Possible. All options are on the table.

Ullmark is talented... he could very well run with it. But he's not really the incumbent anymore, not with the new GM.

The Great One

Thats exactly what I needed to hear. Ive got a better idea now what Im working with. Crappy thing is that as a guy I "took a shot" on he doesnt even really have a lot of trade value at this point I dont think. Crippity crap- I dont mind taking risks but this is riskier even than I thought it was...

The Great One

Bearish on Ullmark.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I tended to throw darts at the wall in my multi-cap dynasty, and pay cheaply for older backups to paper things over until the prospects arrived - I took the team over, and it's been a wait.

I like Ullmark, as he's certainly the better goalie currently there, and younger. He's a NHL goalie, and we know that. There's a chance they go get a FA goalie, but that may not be a starter, it may be a replacemnt for Hutton, the stopgap/bridge to Ullmark who wasn't good enough. So I think you've got a decent shot.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Stud

In deep leagues, there are other options who are worse than having Ullmark as your backup. As long as you have a strong #1, the risk/reward is worth it for Ullmark as your #2.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by tweetdrivr View Post
    Bearish on Ullmark.
    I am too but HPGs post definitely givin me something to think about...

I am rather bullish too though I just traded Petersen for him. I know everyone likes the shiny new prospect but I just feel like Ullmark is closwer to being a starter and possibly even uncontested. Buffalo going to turn it around any day now...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pit Bulls View Post
    In deep leagues, there are other options who are worse than having Ullmark as your backup. As long as you have a strong #1, the risk/reward is worth it for Ullmark as your #2.
    Ive got Korpisalo but Im more bullish on him than the average bear...