Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Dobber Mock NHL Entry Draft

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: 2020 Dobber Mock NHL Entry Draft

I think if anyone is in a position to take the risk it is the Senators. They have two top 5 picks... so if they go safe in pick number #3 and want to take a risk with pick #5...then it might pay huge dividends. They could also potentially trade back, but that is less exciting!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Brad View Post
    Ok, so my rant here: This guy or that guy you’d pick at #9 but not #5... If he’s the best for your organization then the only number that matters is when your next pick falls, and will “your guy” still be available then? If Ottawa had Blackwood or Gibson or even Ullmark, this might not be so obvious to me - - but they don’t. Try this: name the 18 players chosen before Andrei Vasilevskiy in 2012. Or the 40-some from pick 5 to pick 48 in 2016, and which team wouldn’t rather have had Carter Hart? The GK’s taken in the first round since Vasilevskiy? Samsonov, Oettinger, Spencer Knight. Askarov is very unlikely to strike out, and he WILL be their guy in 3 years, when the team is ready to contend (or at very least be respectable).

And, dear Sens management - a simple “thank you” card for my advisory fee will suffice. But two 2021 tix enclosed would be nicer.
    I'd be stunned if they went this way, but I could be wrong. Taking a goalie here with the forwards available this year would not be something I'd like to see if I was a Sens fan. There's too many options out there to burn a top 5 pick on a goalie, and the Sens could settle their goaltending this summer with the FA crop out there. Anyway, if this exercise didn't prompt discussion, there'd be no point in doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shift Disturber View Post
    I'd be stunned if they went this way, but I could be wrong. Taking a goalie here with the forwards available this year would not be something I'd like to see if I was a Sens fan. There's too many options out there to burn a top 5 pick on a goalie, and the Sens could settle their goaltending this summer with the FA crop out there. Anyway, if this exercise didn't prompt discussion, there'd be no point in doing it.
    Teams like the Ducks, Jets, Predators, Wild, Panthers, Hurricanes would love if Ottawa made this move. They already have their current or future #1 goalie and would love for one more forward/defenseman to be available when it comes their turn to pick.

As Bob McKenzie always talks about... the Power of 1... it only takes one team to love a player for him to jump of the draft board like that. If the Senators love the idea and the potential of ASkarov being a number 1 goalie for a long time, this move could happen. Remember Detroit last year?
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Guru

Talk in Ottawa is that Askarov is a strong possibility. I keep thinking back a decade or so ago, when Montreal took Price at #5, much higher than anticipated. Plus, they had Theodore coming off his Hart trophy season, so it seemed even more ridiculous. But it's worked out for the Habs.

Dobber Sports Titan

Definitely a possibility since they already have pick 3 and a solid prospect forward core.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Stud

Agreed that Buffalo would be thrilled to see Rossi available at #8 - - but hey, Tornbetween2pucks, if you get the Sabres’ scouting position, put in a good word for me up in Ottawa LOL

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Brad View Post
    Agreed that Buffalo would be thrilled to see Rossi available at #8 - - but hey, Tornbetween2pucks, if you get the Sabres’ scouting position, put in a good word for me up in Ottawa LOL
    As long as you're willing to work for free.

Dobber Sports Guru

Isn't Cozens a C? Would he be in line for the 2C spot and Rossi shift to the wing?

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Initiate

HOT TAKE:

I'm calling it right here and right now. Drysdale and Sanderson and/or Guhle are going to be in the top 10. Teams always reach for D-men. I would do it but I believe they will. I can't remember the last time there was 1 D selected in the top 10. It's often 3+
    31 TEAMS keep all multi-cat (lot of them) dynasty
    Offensive stats : Goals, Assist , PPP, PPTOI, SOG...
    Defensive stats : PKTOI, BLKS, TakeAway, Giveaway...
    (basically best NHL player)

Dobber Sports Expert

Interesting pick of Askarov at 5.

Issue here with Ottawa is I'm sure they would love to leverage their 3rd of the 1st rounders to move up to do a move like this.

So while it is a reach, then yes it becomes justified with this is the player you want and you go and get him. Its probably a tough spot to trade back from too to try and get Askarov as well in the 9-14 range.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by PicklePickle View Post
    HOT TAKE:

I'm calling it right here and right now. Drysdale and Sanderson and/or Guhle are going to be in the top 10. Teams always reach for D-men. I would do it but I believe they will. I can't remember the last time there was 1 D selected in the top 10. It's often 3+
    Won't be one but surprised to see Drysdale and Sanderson in the top 10. Not as confident on Guhle but he won't be far outside the top 10, but that's my speculation.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Isn't Cozens a C? Would he be in line for the 2C spot and Rossi shift to the wing?
    The knock on Cozens is that he lacks creativity. He's played RW and I would think his speed, size and north/south game would translate better in the NHL as a winger. Rossi is creative, a wonderful distributor of the puck, and already plays a pro-style game as far as defensive responsibilities go.

Just my two bits. You could very well be right.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Is Askarov that good? No sarcasm intended, I seriously don’t know, having just seen him at the World Juniors. But as a Sens fan myself, I hope they don’t draft him with so much needs elsewhere.
    12-team Dynasty Salary
    G-A-H-B/W-SO
    Crosby, Giroux, Pavelski, Hagel, Tarasenko, Terry, Bjorkstrand, Joshua, Cotter, Drury, Holtz, Kasper, Dorofeyev, Rosén, Brindley
    Dunn, Sergachev, Nurse, Trouba, Girard, Harley, Korczak, Söderström, Luneau, Pickering, Behrens, Rinzel
    Bobrovsky, Woll, Patera, Garand

10-team Dynasty Roto
    G-A-FOW-STP-H-B/W-GAA-Sv%
    Matthews, Hyman, Bratt, Guentzel, Thompson, Horvat, Lindholm, Buchnevich, Toffoli, Konecny, Rust, Laine, Peterka, Neighbours, Kemell, Snuggerud, Bourque, Wood, Öhgren
    Makar, Josi, Dobson, Pietrangelo, Hanifin, Faber, Spence, Edvinsson, Zellweger, Willander, Bonk, Casey
    Shesterkin, Hellebuyck, Georgiev,
    Wallstedt

Quote Originally Posted by TornBetween2Pucks View Post
    The knock on Cozens is that he lacks creativity. He's played RW and I would think his speed, size and north/south game would translate better in the NHL as a winger. Rossi is creative, a wonderful distributor of the puck, and already plays a pro-style game as far as defensive responsibilities go.

Just my two bits. You could very well be right.
    Cozens and Mittlestadt are both Centres... but I agree with your pick. Got to take the best player and at that point it was Rossi. And you can never have too many centres as it is always easier to switch from C to wing than wing to C.

​​

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I just read that Askarov was named rookie of the week in the KHL. Good sign!
    12-team Dynasty Salary
    G-A-H-B/W-SO
    Crosby, Giroux, Pavelski, Hagel, Tarasenko, Terry, Bjorkstrand, Joshua, Cotter, Drury, Holtz, Kasper, Dorofeyev, Rosén, Brindley
    Dunn, Sergachev, Nurse, Trouba, Girard, Harley, Korczak, Söderström, Luneau, Pickering, Behrens, Rinzel
    Bobrovsky, Woll, Patera, Garand

10-team Dynasty Roto
    G-A-FOW-STP-H-B/W-GAA-Sv%
    Matthews, Hyman, Bratt, Guentzel, Thompson, Horvat, Lindholm, Buchnevich, Toffoli, Konecny, Rust, Laine, Peterka, Neighbours, Kemell, Snuggerud, Bourque, Wood, Öhgren
    Makar, Josi, Dobson, Pietrangelo, Hanifin, Faber, Spence, Edvinsson, Zellweger, Willander, Bonk, Casey
    Shesterkin, Hellebuyck, Georgiev,
    Wallstedt