Thread: Who to target, upside opinion?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Who to target, upside opinion?

Of the following potential targets, who do you think has the best upside and situation on their current teams?

Nick Suzuki
    Kailer Yamamoto
    Martin Necas
    Rob Thomas
    Filip Chytil
    Clayton Keller ( I own but curious on where he ranks)
    14 team dynasty league points only / H2H
    draft up to 35 and cut 5 to 30 after one month of season. 13 active 12 bench & 5 prospects.
    dress 7 forwards, 3 defensman, 1 vet ( 31 & older), 1 rookie & 1 goalie per week

Forwards - Stone, J.T.Miller, A. Svechnikov, Mika Zibanijad, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Nico Hischier, Jack Hughes, Elias Lindholm, Quinton Byfield, Filip Chytil, Nick Schmaltz & Jaden Schwartz.

Defense- Cale Makar, Quinn Hughes, Roman Josi, Thomas Chabot, K'Andre Miller & Cam Fowler.

Goalies - Igor Shesterkin & Karel Vejmalka & Jeremy Swayman.

Prospects - Alex Turcotte, Brandt Clarke, Denton Mateychuk , Henry Thrun & Filip Bystedt.

The Great One

Default Re: Who to target, upside opinion?

not sure if you are concerned with long-term or next season so I will rank both ways.

Next season:
    Kailer Yamamoto
    Rob Thomas
    Clayton Keller
    Nick Suzuki
    Martin Necas
    Filip Chytil

Long-term (3 yrs from now):
    Rob Thomas
    Martin Necas
    Kailer Yamamoto
    Nick Suzuki
    Clayton Keller
    Filip Chytil
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks, this is for a dynasty keeper league so long term lens
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    not sure if you are concerned with long-term or next season so I will rank both ways.

Next season:
    Kailer Yamamoto
    Rob Thomas
    Clayton Keller
    Nick Suzuki
    Martin Necas
    Filip Chytil

Long-term (3 yrs from now):
    Rob Thomas
    Martin Necas
    Kailer Yamamoto
    Nick Suzuki
    Clayton Keller
    Filip Chytil
    draft up to 35 and cut 5 to 30 after one month of season. 13 active 12 bench & 5 prospects.
    dress 7 forwards, 3 defensman, 1 vet ( 31 & older), 1 rookie & 1 goalie per week

Forwards - Stone, J.T.Miller, A. Svechnikov, Mika Zibanijad, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Nico Hischier, Jack Hughes, Elias Lindholm, Quinton Byfield, Filip Chytil, Nick Schmaltz & Jaden Schwartz.

Defense- Cale Makar, Quinn Hughes, Roman Josi, Thomas Chabot, K'Andre Miller & Cam Fowler.

Prospects - Alex Turcotte, Brandt Clarke, Denton Mateychuk , Henry Thrun & Filip Bystedt.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Suzuki already far and above the rest

The Great One

Next year I think Suzuki steps into the first line center role and as such has a safe floor. Kellers in the same boat but an offense starved arizona team which is not helping his cause. The other four are great options but generally trying to find out secondary roles. I think Yamomoto is the best of the bunch but its very close- this is a fantastic group of players! Ill go:

Suzuki
    Yamamoto
    Keller
    Thomas/Chytil/Necas

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by LuigiC173 View Post
    Suzuki already far and above the rest
    I can understand why someone would rank Suzuki first, but is he really already "far and above" Yamamoto and Thomas (for example). Thomas scored 42 pts in 66 games, and is in line for more playing time this coming season with Tarasenko on the shelf. Yamamoto scored 26 pts in 27 games, which is not realistic to maintain over an 82 game season, but he would have certainly scored more than Suzuki's 41 pts in 71 games. I think it is tough to choose between those three, tbh. And Keller as well for next season, tbh. They are all probably no more than 55 pt players next year. I don't see any of them being "far and above" the rest.

Long-term, maybe one can argue that Suzuki is "far and away" above the rest (though I'm not really sure how that can be said with any degree of certainty), but I don't think he is "already" clearly ahead of the others.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports Wizard

im going to stay away from Keller as i really dont know what to make of him or his team atm.

others i would have ranked exactly as OP listed it.
    14 Teams H2H Dynasty, 28 roster spots (8 bench), 15 minors under 100
    Weekly Matchups - Daily Lineups

Skaters: G/A/Pt/PIM/SoG/STP/H+B/ToI/Corsi
    Goalies: W/GAA/SVs/SV%/SHO

C: Eichel, Kadri, Mcdavid, Sodeberg, Schenn
    LW: Ehlers, Landeskog, Meier, Debrusk, Foegele, Lee
    RW: Pastrnak, Marner, Palmieri, Terry, D. Brown, Bailey, Granlund
    D: Krug, Josi, Ekholm, Faulk, Muzzin, Karlsson, Cernak,
    G: Hellebuyck, Biship, M Jones

Dobber Sports Superstar

I can understand why someone would rank Suzuki first, but is he really already "far and above" Yamamoto and Thomas (for example). Thomas scored 42 pts in 66 games, and is in line for more playing time this coming season with Tarasenko on the shelf. Yamamoto scored 26 pts in 27 games, which is not realistic to maintain over an 82 game season, but he would have certainly scored more than Suzuki's 41 pts in 71 games. I think it is tough to choose between those three, tbh. And Keller as well for next season, tbh. They are all probably no more than 55 pt players next year. I don't see any of them being "far and above" the rest.

Long-term, maybe one can argue that Suzuki is "far and away" above the rest (though I'm not really sure how that can be said with any degree of certainty), but I don't think he is "already" clearly ahead of the others.
    As far as Keller, def consider that the Coyotes are a fantasy graveyard for forwards. Nobody scores prolifically in the desert, period. Yes, Thomas and Yamamoto are solid players but the difference is their reliance on better players on their line. For Kailer, he has the reigning Hart Trophy winner, for Thomas, he has two above average players in Schenn and Schwartz. Nick Suzuki DRIVES his line, he is the straw that stirs the drink. Also, Suzuki gets PP1 deployment while the other two do not at this point. When I say "far and above the rest" I am referring more so to an ability to drive play on their own.

The Great One

As far as Keller, def consider that the Coyotes are a fantasy graveyard for forwards. Nobody scores prolifically in the desert, period. Yes, Thomas and Yamamoto are solid players but the difference is their reliance on better players on their line. For Kailer, he has the reigning Hart Trophy winner, for Thomas, he has two above average players in Schenn and Schwartz. Nick Suzuki DRIVES his line, he is the straw that stirs the drink. Also, Suzuki gets PP1 deployment while the other two do not at this point. When I say "far and above the rest" I am referring more so to an ability to drive play on their own.
    I definitely agree with you there. Suzuki is a force and showed that in the playoffs. If he ever gets some good line-mates, he could really excel in point production. Unfortunately, though, I don't think he will score many points given his line-mates. I know positions are different, but if Suzuki played with Yamm's (or even Thomas') line-mates, he'd be a fantasy darling for sure.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports Apprentice

If Suzuki hadn't played fourth and third line minutes for like 20+ games, his numbers would look better than they do right now.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by MasterX57 View Post
    If Suzuki hadn't played fourth and third line minutes for like 20+ games, his numbers would look better than they do right now.
    no doubt. Maybe I'm undervaluing him a bit. Perhaps he should be higher on my list for next season. I just don't think he is way ahead of the others. I don't think any of the players under consideration here are going to score more than 55-60 pts next year. Of course someone always seems to surprise every season. I didn't expect JT Miller to score 72 this past season or Tatar to score 61, so it is entirely possible Suzuki scores 65+ pts (or Thomas or Yamamoto, etc.).
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MasterX57 View Post
    Exactly my thought.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks for the feedback, Suzuki was the one that I had most interest in and my gut does tell me he has the highest upside. The owner of Suzuki has only has 3 defensman so maybe a Vince Dunn plus a 2nd round pick or something may get something done. Will have to think on possible trade options ...

Dobber Sports Stud

I wouldn't blink an eye if Suzuki hits 70 next season.
    With the deployment he earned as the season progressed (1st PP, 18 min+ a game) and very sustainable underlying numbers, I see 55 as his floor going forward.
    Points-only keeper league. 12 teams. Keep any 12 players. Dress 12F - 6D - 2G.

The Great One

Short answer? No not really but you have to start a list somehwere and to me it comes down to role. Thomas will be ased into his role behind the top two centers over there. Yamomoto will always have a superstar to play with but may or may not have pp1 time locked up (and ftr if he does you could put him at the top of this list). Wheras Suzuki projects as the "do everything" center in Montreal. He wont have to worry about being on pp1 cause he will BE pp1- lol! Thats what does it for me. In fact based on scouting reports and pure upside some would say he belongs lower on this list (although I think hes really proving those critics about his offense wrong at this point) but his deployment alone warrants him the first spot on this list imho.

- - - Updated - - -

This is basically what Im saying too- rep coming...