Thread: Is Gibson expendable?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Is Gibson expendable?

Hi all,

In my multicat keeper league we play 2 goalies per week with the categories W SHO, GAA Save %

Last year my skaters did the job but my goalies were terrible. One of the main issues is John Gibson. He is a great goalie but his team is just awful and his stats reflect that. He was unplayable for most of the year (after doing a lot of damage to my team early)

I will be keeping Lehner and have Cal Petersen as a prospect (who I can play).

Should I persist with Gibson, and when should the Ducks be good enough for him to be playable?

Alternatively, dropping Gibson would allow me to keep my bottom few skaters - O'Reilly, Kadri, Doughty or Tuch - all of which are very useful in multicat leagues (O'Reilly dominates takeaways, Kadri PIMs, Doughty all round and Tuch could be the must have PF for the next 5-10 years)

Thoughts guys

Thanks as always

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Is Gibson expendable?

I'd really want more information on how you can keep so many of those guys by dropping ibson. Is it an auction league? I do like the guys you mention, and think Gibson is a bad bet in any sort of cap league right now, and auction if he's expensive.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Deity

I realize his numbers were terrible last year, but I wonder if you can trade him for a different goalie who can help you simply by selling Gibson on name alone. There's a lot of GMs out there who just love owning names and less about their numbers. I dont know about your league, but there's always folks out there. Even if you could flip him for a bit of an older goalie who can help you (Kuemper, Price, etc) and improve your stats at that position.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I realize his numbers were terrible last year, but I wonder if you can trade him for a different goalie who can help you simply by selling Gibson on name alone. There's a lot of GMs out there who just love owning names and less about their numbers. I dont know about your league, but there's always folks out there. Even if you could flip him for a bit of an older goalie who can help you (Kuemper, Price, etc) and improve your stats at that position.
    I echo this. I can't fathom (with the details given) that your best course of action is to outright drop him. He should be good trade bait to upgrade somewhere else.

Dobber Sports Master

I like owning Gibson due to the off-night sked angle .

I can usually snag him in one year leagues and never regret it . I suppose different story in dynasty cap

Dobber Sports Master

Gibson is a good goalie on a bad team. I wouldn't want to just drop him for nothing, and support the idea of trading him for a better if not younger option.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by stevegamer View Post
    I'd really want more information on how you can keep so many of those guys by dropping ibson. Is it an auction league? I do like the guys you mention, and think Gibson is a bad bet in any sort of cap league right now, and auction if he's expensive.
    Hi, I could have been clearer. Of those names (O'Reilly, Kadri, Doughty, Tuch) I have to drop one. If I drop Gibson instead I can keep all 4. It is a keep 13 multcat roto league, no salary. Ill list my keepers below. I can try a trade, but this is a hardened league with very few trades, I wouldnt get 20 cents in the dollar for him but I can kick some tyres.

C: Tavares, ROR, Kadri
    W: Hall, Stamkos, Guentzel, Konency
    D: Chabot, Hamilton, Letang, Doughty
    G: Lehner, Gibson

Free Keepers: Heiskanen, Patrick, Dach, Blais, Kunin
    Farm: Zegras Knight

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by teepee1 View Post
    Hi, I could have been clearer. Of those names (O'Reilly, Kadri, Doughty, Tuch) I have to drop one. If I drop Gibson instead I can keep all 4. It is a keep 13 multcat roto league, no salary. Ill list my keepers below. I can try a trade, but this is a hardened league with very few trades, I wouldnt get 20 cents in the dollar for him but I can kick some tyres.

Given this info, I'd keep Gibson.

It's a choice of one of those guys you originally listed, and you play 2 goalies per week. I'd prefer to go into the draft looking to redraft one of the 4 skaters you drop rather than a goalie, as I suspect the goalie choices will be very limited. If your league traditionally doesn't keep many goalies, then maybe dropping Gibson makes sense.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Icon

Anaheim is going to surprise a lot of people next season. I predict they are closer to contending for the Pacific Division Crown then they are to missing the playoffs. Gibson will be a top 10 goalie again next season.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by teepee1 View Post

Ah, so you’re choosing between those 5 players for your final 4 keepers.

I’d keep Gibson and let Tuch go.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar