Thread: #1 Waiver

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default #1 Waiver

Yikes, what a week on injuries. I have #1 WW (it won't reset weekly). Sitting 2-0.

Seems early in the year to use it, but do you see any of these guys having long-term appeal this season?

1. Mike Davis - CMC out for 4-6 weeks.
    2. Dion Lewis - Saquon out for year, but that offense looks bad and they are trying out Freeman.
    3. Myles Gaskin - Has looked decent, but do we really want any part of MIA run game?
    4. Mackinnon - Probably the most talented of the bunch, but still has Coleman to contend with.

0.5 PPR league:

QB (1) - Dak
    WR (3) - Thielen, Cooper, Lockett
    RB (2) - Edwards-Helaire, Chubb
    TE (1) - Gronk (Going to have to add someone this week, but nobody #1 WW worthy at TE)
    Flex (2) - McLaurin, Green
    Bench - Snell, Mattison, Watkins, D. Williams (KC), Moss, Edmonds

My gut is telling me to hang onto that #1, that none of these guys will be game changers this season, but would like to hear some opinions. there are a few guys that are total cowboys on their waiver claims (So I know I'll get back to #4-5 in a week or two) but the top contenders are normally pretty stingy, so unlikely I see # 1 again this year.

As always, will rep where I can!

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: #1 Waiver

I'm not a football guy and never heard of any of those guys, but the same advice holds between sports and leagues. If you are going to use your #1 priority this early in the season you have to hit a home run. There are still months left in the season and there are sure to be more injuries (for you, your opponents, and the NFL in general).
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Star

For all of the guys you've listed, with YOUR team, I probably wouldn't use the #1 wavier to get them because I wouldn't start them over any of your usual starting players.

As to Gaskin, he is not worth a #1 claim. He's unexceptional and that offense isn't going to carry him anywhere.

As to Dion Lewis, he is not worth a #1 claim. Maybe, maybe useful, but not great, in a PPR league. But he is only a 3rd down pass catcher. He's undersized and 29 years old, both of which spell limited usage, last week notwithstanding.

As to McKinnon, you're getting warmer, but it is hard to use on on him because his injury history is gigantic. And its not like everyone on SF is healthy and producing. Moses isn't a football guy and yet he's getting the call from the SF to back-up McKinnon this weekend. We don't know how long Mostert is out, but I've not seen where it is expected to be too long. I think you're looking at a good week from McKinnon next week and then back to the role of being one of the most productive 2nd option RBs in the NFL. I think someone desperate for a starting RB this week will likely jump on him with their waiver pick.

Finally, that leaves Davis. I don't know how Carolina is going to score. But Davis can run and is good at pass-catching, so I think for 4-6 weeks you're going to see a lot of 60-100 total yards games from him with a score once every two-three games. That has value in your league and likely for the McCaffrey owner. I'd use your #1 on Davis if only to saunter on over to the Christian McCaffrey owner, slide down your sunglasses, and say "hey girl."

Even though he seems to be in the coach's doghouse, you might try to pick up Wayne Gallman, RB for free after the waiver period. He was Saquon's backup last time Saquon got hurt and the Giants used him in all situations. Shouldn't cost anything as he didn't play last week. Didn't play because he was benched for reasons unknown to me. But as a no-cost lottery ticket, could be useful.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by senryu View Post
    For all of the guys you've listed, with YOUR team, I probably wouldn't use the #1 wavier to get them because I wouldn't start them over any of your usual starting players.
    Yep this right here. Davis would be the only one I'd consider but if you are 2-0 then you have some breathing room here.

Dobber Sports Titan

I would get Davis, use him for a possible bye week filler, or an injury insurance.

He's by far the best available, take him away from someone who needs him badly if he falls through to you. Davis could save someone's season, don't let it happen.

I would only use my WW#1 on Davis, and not any of the other options. But that's it. I'm 50/50 on the use of it with Davis, and it's more to not allow someone else to get 4-6 weeks of 15pt (PPR) production off a guy to save their season.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Expert

Davis is the only consideration.

Another stash option is Wayne Gallman. He's not worthy of a waiver wire claim but Giants beat writer indicated prior to the seaon he would take over the 'Saquon' if he were to go down. That changes if Freeman signs today. Lewis will be the third down back but isn't going to get a lionshare of work. Gallman-Lewis will be like a Mixon-Bernard breakdown (without the skill).

Gaskin - had 13 touches but steer from the MIA backfield.
    Mackinnon - like you said has to contend with Coleman....and bad injury history.