Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: [TRADE] E. Staal to Sabres

Dobber Sports Superstar

Default Re: [TRADE] E. Staal to Sabres

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    That story is old (2yrs to be exact), and apparently he just updated his NTC list of teams this week, if you believe The Athletic Wild reporter Mike Russo (who's pretty solid I might add). For those with the Athletic subscription, here's the link:

https://theathletic.com/2072731/2020...ch_query=staal

For those without a subscription, it says this:
    There's not a whole lot in there other than he didn't include Buffalo on his no-trade list and that this trade makes no sense for the Wild other than to shake up the dressing room culture. They give up the better player and take on more money. Staal doesn't strike me as a bad influence guy though, but who knows.

The Great One

I wonder which 10 teams were on Staal's list: all the Canadian teams (taxes), Arizona (dysfunctional)...maybe Detroit (cause they really suck), and Carolina (burned bridges and all that).
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Kofax View Post
    There's not a whole lot in there other than he didn't include Buffalo on his no-trade list and that this trade makes no sense for the Wild other than to shake up the dressing room culture. They give up the better player and take on more money. Staal doesn't strike me as a bad influence guy though, but who knows.
    I keep wavering on this one...my only guess is that Guerin is either going to acquire another center, so he doesn't need Staal any longer, or he wants to let the younger players on the team get more ice time (Rask, JEE, etc.). Better to let the veteran Staal play out his career on another team than continue playing for a team that no longer wants to use him as a top 2 center.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    I wonder which 10 teams were on Staal's list: all the Canadian teams (taxes), Arizona (dysfunctional)...maybe Detroit (cause they really suck), and Carolina (burned bridges and all that).
    God knows. I am assuming Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Arizona, Detroit. That's eight. The last two are question marks. I cant see Carolina on there because I think he liked his time there but again, who knows. Maybe Florida because no one goes to their games but you'd think the tax breaks would be a plus for going there. Vancouver is the only other Canadian team I didnt mention so that could be one as well although Vancouver is a beautiful city.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Superstar

I keep wavering on this one...my only guess is that Guerin is either going to acquire another center, so he doesn't need Staal any longer, or he wants to let the younger players on the team get more ice time (Rask, JEE, etc.). Better to let the veteran Staal play out his career on another team than continue playing for a team that no longer wants to use him as a top 2 center.
    That's fine, but you take on a worse player and more money?

Plus Guerin states that Johansson will be used as a C (which I'm not sure I believe), but then why say that?

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Kofax View Post
    That's fine, but you take on a worse player and more money?

Plus Guerin states that Johansson will be used as a C (which I'm not sure I believe), but then why say that?
    Really? That just muddies the water even more! Either Guerin is a master of misdirection, or he is taking a shotgun approach to the center position. Rask, Johansson, JEE, Kunin, Bjugstad...throw enough 3rd line centers into the mix, and maybe one of them rises up and becomes a 2nd line center? Still not sure there's a serviceable first line center in there.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports Immortal

Really? That just muddies the water even more! Either Guerin is a master of misdirection, or he is taking a shotgun approach to the center position. Rask, Johansson, JEE, Kunin, Bjugstad...throw enough 3rd line centers into the mix, and maybe one of them rises up and becomes a 2nd line center? Still not sure there's a serviceable first line center in there.
    You have to be ready for that instance once or twice a game where the C is thrown out of a draw.

Dobber Sports Titan

Pretty sure Staal had all 10 teams as competitive teams with little cap space as a move to try and not get moved to anyone thinking only competitive teams would want him.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Pretty sure Staal had all 10 teams as competitive teams with little cap space as a move to try and not get moved to anyone thinking only competitive teams would want him.
    He was right LOL! Obviously didnt see this coming.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Ninja

Man i said I would never be too critical of GMs ever since the Rundblad - Turris deal that ended up really favouring Ottawa, but this one looks like a woof. Not really understanding Guerin's thought process here.

Sucks for Staal, yet another example of how at the end of the day you just gotta look out for yourself. Guy just wants to play out his career at a bargain and still producing well, and gets shipped to a tire fire of an organization. Not only that but he watches the team he used to play for get worse as an outcome of this. Yikes.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    Man i said I would never be too critical of GMs ever since the Rundblad - Turris deal that ended up really favouring Ottawa, but this one looks like a woof. Not really understanding Guerin's thought process here.

Sucks for Staal, yet another example of how at the end of the day you just gotta look out for yourself. Guy just wants to play out his career at a bargain and still producing well, and gets shipped to a tire fire of an organization. Not only that but he watches the team he used to play for get worse as an outcome of this. Yikes.
    oh man...remember when we all thought Rundblad was going to be a star?
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports Ninja

oh man...remember when we all thought Rundblad was going to be a star?
    Yeah, literally all of us on here LOL....I don't think there is a player that was more boosted than this guy. And then when he was traded for "Turdis"? Oof. Turned out working out really well for Ottawa in the end lmao.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Monster

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    Yeah, literally all of us on here LOL....I don't think there is a player that was more boosted than this guy. And then when he was traded for "Turdis"? Oof. Turned out working out really well for Ottawa in the end lmao.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Titan

Staal was building a home in the Minnesota area for post-retirement apparently. Oooofff that one sucks. I'm sure he wanted to be there while it was being built to oversee the build.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Ninja

My other thought is that I feel like Guerin wanting to shake up the roster and eliminate that comfortable feeling in the locker room, and then going out and trading Eric Staal - a vet who's won it all before who you would think would be a good example setter for the younger players, is kind of odd.

To me that implies that Staal was possibly contributing to that feeling of being too comfortable, which doesn't bode well for Buffalo which is probably filled with players already lacking motivation with a garbage organization?
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!