Thread: Trading FOR Michael Thomas

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Trading FOR Michael Thomas

I see some threads on Thomas, but instead of hijacking someone else's thread I figured I would post a new one.

I don't own Thomas, but the guy in my league that does just had the worst week I have ever seen someone have for injuries. He just lost Thomas, Golladay, Bell, Mack, Vander Esch (IDP league) and potentially Parker and Cooks (both questionable for W2) all this week.

I play him this week. We have a pretty good history of trading, so I'll probably propose something on Saturday (so that it won't take effect until W3).

Its a 10 team 0.5 PPR/IDP league, with 5 point bonuses at 100 yards rush/rec. I like my team, didn't have an amazing W1 but I won and no real concerns coming out of it. What would you offer to try to pry Thomas away that is fair but not insulting (I won't bother putting the guys team up, he needs everything and the only pieces I would want would be Thomas or Andrews, and he won't trade me Andrews)?

My team:
    QB - Dak
    WR(3) - Thielen, Cooper, Lockett
    RB (2) Edwards-Helaire, Chubb
    TE - Gronk
    Flex (2) - AJ Green, McLaurin
    DEF - NE
    IDP (4) - Collins, Leonard, Alexander, David
    BN: Moss, Watkins, D. Williams, Snell, Mattison, Edmonds

I was thinking of offering up Green + Watkins/Moss, but still feels like an underpay.

Thoughts appreciated. Will rep where I can, as always.

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: Trading FOR Michael Thomas

I think you're right in that your proposal seems like an underpay. Even with a high ankle sprain, Thomas projects to be around for the playoffs and that's what'll matter. Still to be determined is whether Brees has hit the wall. It's only one game, but one year Peyton Manning had the arm to make the plays, and the next year, he lost his fastball.

That being said, if he has a big hole at WR and you're offering your 5th best WR, he might take offense. If he needs help everywhere, perhaps one of Thielen, Cooper, or Lockett with two surprising week 1 performers (Snell/Watkins?) might be appealing. I think that the psychological effect of replacing his top WR with someone else's top WR makes for a easier sell.

Dobber Sports Expert

I would start with that proposal and see where the talks lead. Given your WR core, I would be fine replacing Green with Cooper or Lockett and pairing them with Snell. With trying to get Thomas, I'm thinking long term here and the key is the latter part of the season/playoffs.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by senryu View Post
    I think you're right in that your proposal seems like an underpay. Even with a high ankle sprain, Thomas projects to be around for the playoffs and that's what'll matter. Still to be determined is whether Brees has hit the wall. It's only one game, but one year Peyton Manning had the arm to make the plays, and the next year, he lost his fastball.

That being said, if he has a big hole at WR and you're offering your 5th best WR, he might take offense. If he needs help everywhere, perhaps one of Thielen, Cooper, or Lockett with two surprising week 1 performers (Snell/Watkins?) might be appealing. I think that the psychological effect of replacing his top WR with someone else's top WR makes for a easier sell.
    I would NOT be moving Snell. That production is not a blip on the radar, it's him finally getting an opportunity. Games where he touches the ball >20 times, he averages over 4 yards a carry and with Conner hurt (again) for who knows how long... he could easily put up over 1k yards and be a top 10 fantasy back. With a healthy Ben, and defenses having to respect the pass game, there will be plenty of holes open for the run game.

Watkins on the other hand would be the guy I'd be looking to move tho. He had a great WK1 last season too, and that was pretty much his only relevant game the rest of the year.

Try a combo of one of Green/Thielen/Cooper/Lockett with Watkins and see where that gets you.

Dobber Sports Immortal

I would start with Cooper and go from there. Yes it's an underpayment but given his situation he might be eliminated by the time Thomas is back. The time for him to act is now.

In a 10-team league, I'm curious to what names are avail on the WW at the WR position. For example, if Gage, Slayton or Paris Campbell are available I would grab one of them, and then offer-up Watkins/Green for MT.

If you're trading for MT it's important to keep in mind that the high ankle sprain is going to effect his performance when he does eventually return which may be 4 weeks of him riding your bench + bye week. So don't sacrifice too much depth at WR, is my point.

EDIT: Sorry...if this is a dynasty league then Watkins/Green won't fly. I was thinking re-draft there.
    @SmittysRant

Dobber Sports Veteran

Sorry for the late response. Trade hasn't gone anywhere yet. I crushed the guy this week, but he wants to hold out another week or two before he makes any desperation moves. I'll be in the running if he puts him on the block, but time will tell.

Repped where I could, thanks guys!