Default Re: [Re-signed] Jonas Brodin

Dumba being actively shopped opens up the RHS
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    MIN is probably hoping for eventual big things from Calen Addison (who they got from PIT for Zucker), but he is a RD just like Dumba & Spurgeon.
    MIN also has a nice sleeper in Brennan Menell, but he too is a RH shot.
    Menell's days are a Wild dman are probably over. He signed a 1 year deal in the KHL without talking to the Wild about it first.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcouples View Post
    Menell's days are a Wild dman are probably over. He signed a 1 year deal in the KHL without talking to the Wild about it first.
    Oh wow.
    I didn't know that.

If I'm Menell, I'm pretty pissed when they trade for Calen Addison.
    Guerin apparently wasn't going to give the kid a shot.

I think he's got skill, especially with the new breed of fleeter, smarter NHL D-men.

Interesting.

ps. Guy is off to a good start, tied for lead in D-man scoring for 20-21 KHL:
    https://en.khl.ru/stat/leaders/1045/pts_def/

Logging 24:50 per game!!! Holy cow!
    https://en.khl.ru/stat/leaders/1045/toi_avg_def/

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    FWIW - Suter (LD) may call it quits after two seasons... and MIN probably hopes he will.
    He has one of those declining Zetterberg/Luongo-ish deals.

Suter's actual salaries are as follows:
    $8.0m (20-21)
    $6.0m (21-22), then retire?

$2.0m (22-23)
    $1.0m (23-24)
    $1.0m (24-25)
    Minnesota would still have his $7.5 million cap hit for each of the three seasons if he does retire. So since there's no cap relief, it's probably better if he stays in the lineup.

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Minnesota would still have his $7.5 million cap hit for each of the three seasons if he does retire. So since there's no cap relief, it's probably better if he stays in the lineup.
    I wonder if suter and parise deals still have cap recapture penalty if they retire early or is that squashed with the new CBA ?

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    I wonder if suter and parise deals still have cap recapture penalty if they retire early or is that squashed with the new CBA ?
    That was squashed. From what I understand, the penalty is that the cap hit counts for the rest of the term regardless if they retire.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Right.
    My comment was more about opportunity in the line-up.
    Suter may have enough money in pocket and may choose to retire himself.
    Minnesota has to think about being down a D-man (Suter) come summer 2022.

Dobber Sports Superstar

That's because of the cap recapture penalty for these back-diving contracts right? Or does it have to do with when he signed the deal and is on top of the cap recapture penalty? I'm not entirely sure how it all works, but it looks like if Suter retires after next season he'll cost something around $6-6.5 million against the cap over the next 3 years. Similar for Parise I believe.

https://www.hockeywilderness.com/201...rto-luongo-nhl

There's this article but I don't entirely understand it. The gist of it seems to be that the wild will be hurting due to these contracts if they retire and pretty much can't trade them because the penalty if they retire elsewhere skyrockets.

I imagine that they will find a way to involve LTIR somehow, which is how every other team have dealt with this so far (aside from Vancouver and Luongo as he seemed to want to stick it to them for how he was treated).

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Kofax View Post
    That's because of the cap recapture penalty for these back-diving contracts right? Or does it have to do with when he signed the deal and is on top of the cap recapture penalty? I'm not entirely sure how it all works, but it looks like if Suter retires after next season he'll cost something around $6-6.5 million against the cap over the next 3 years. Similar for Parise I believe.

https://www.hockeywilderness.com/201...rto-luongo-nhl

There's this article but I don't entirely understand it. The gist of it seems to be that the wild will be hurting due to these contracts if they retire and pretty much can't trade them because the penalty if they retire elsewhere skyrockets.
    That article is from last year. It changed this summer with the new CBA deal.

This article from TSN (have to scroll down somewhat) explains it pretty well. https://www.tsn.ca/nhl-nhlpa-on-verg...ug-1-1.1492767

Basically, the old cap recapture penalties no longer exist. The old penalty saw the team pay a heavy price the longer a player took before he retired. The closer to the end of a contract a player was when he retired, the higher the penalty (aka, a higher cap hit). So a team might have been dinged with a $20 million cap hit if the player retires with one year remaining.

The new rules state that no matter when the player retires, his cap penalty is simply his cap hit for the remaining years left on the contract. So in Suter's case, it will always be a $7.5 million penalty, whether he retires this offseason or in four years time.

Just note that this only affects fewer than 10 players, as it deals with contracts that tried to circumvent the cap drastically.

Dobber Sports Superstar

That article is from last year. It changed this summer with the new CBA deal.

This article from TSN (have to scroll down somewhat) explains it pretty well. https://www.tsn.ca/nhl-nhlpa-on-verg...ug-1-1.1492767

Basically, the old cap recapture penalties no longer exist. The old penalty saw the team pay a heavy price the longer a player took before he retired. The closer to the end of a contract a player was when he retired, the higher the penalty (aka, a higher cap hit). So a team might have been dinged with a $20 million cap hit if the player retires with one year remaining.

The new rules state that no matter when the player retires, his cap penalty is simply his cap hit for the remaining years left on the contract. So in Suter's case, it will always be a $7.5 million penalty, whether he retires this offseason or in four years time.

Just note that this only affects fewer than 10 players, as it deals with contracts that tried to circumvent the cap drastically.
    Ah, thanks, I was not aware of that update. And ya, it's only for those back-diving contracts the league was not happy with and not too many remain.